Yamaha r6 leak around kick stand - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Yamaha r6 leak around kick stand

Hi guys , I’m new to the bike world , i recently purchased a used 06 Yamaha r6 i got the spark plugs done and the valves adjusted when i purchased it. It has 24k miles. Recently i have noticed a small puddle in my garage it seems like it’s oil but might be mixed with something else since it doesn’t have the strong oil Odor. This bike is mostly stock other then sprocket , and m4 slip on exhaust . For starters i should remove all the fairings to help investigate anyone have any idea what this might be ? Has something like this been herd of ? Thanks in advanced .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Re: Yamaha r6 leak around kick stand

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
here is a photo no signs of oil on the other side ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:10 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Had drip coming from a similar spot for a couple of weeks but disappeared on its own. Never bothered to trace it down. I use motor oil on the chain so there's a lot of junk around there anyway. It would never drip in my presence. Similar to your experiences, I'd come back after a run to find a a quarter and some change max, sized drip spot beneath the kickstand.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From a search, it looks like some people are pointing at the drive axle oil seal. (drive sprocket attaches to it)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:30 PM
#KeepPounding

Bike: 2007 R6

Its right there below your filter. The genesis of the leak looks straight down from the filter. Make sure its hand tight and that the old o ring came off with the old filter.

-07' Team Yamaha Blue R6 "Carmen"
-18' Toyota 4Runner ORP "?"
-08' Nissan Xterra Off-Road "Katrina"
-93' Ford F-150 sitting on 35's "Sandra"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Further looking there was a most oil on the shift rod i removed the sprocket cover and there wasnít any signs of oil just some gunk from
The chain , is there a seal on the shift rod ? Is this common ? Thanks in advanced to be sure i also cleaned up all the oil to be sure where itís coming from

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:43 PM
I eat my R6

Check the exploded diagrams for the transmission, in order to locate the drive axle seal... or most other parts like the shift linkage.

Wind is terrible for spreading leaks around. After cleaning things off, see whether the leak can be reproduced by *cafefully* running through all the gears on the stand. (note: keep in mind that most stands claim not to be built for a running bike)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Guys i cleaned it up and it seems really moist after sitting but Iíve had it sitting for couple days and itís leaking pretty bad itís not like a couple drops but legit a puddle i havenít even started the bike but it is leaning over on the kick stand ( not on the bike stand ) so itís leaning . Is that grommet capable of leaking so much ? Or you think there might be a leak else ware

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM
I eat my R6

Temporarily overfill the crankcase a bit, pull the fairings off and record it from a couple of angles for an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in