Chain and sprocket - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Chain and sprocket

Can you all help me out. I'm looking for a chain and sprocket set something to last a while. No track days only street riding, what would you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:30 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Chain and sprocket

for the long life I would recommend a steel rear sprocket. the bigger the chain the longer it lasts. a 520 is the smallest you should use on a R6. you should be able to get 10k miles out of one if you buy a good one.
driven makes a nice sprocket kit for the R6. their kits come with a RK chain I believe. which are heavy in my experience. I like the EK MVXZ chains. they're lighter and have more tensile strength than the equally priced RK chains.

check out motomummy or sportbike track gear.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Hello, I just got the chain and sprocket and looking to put them on. I have one concern, should I tighten the bolts on the sprocket really tight until it wont go more or does it require a specific spec?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:17 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

the torque value is around 72 ft/lbs. everyone thinks this is too high. but i've done it dozens of times. you need to have a quality torque wrench for this stuff is why people snap these bolts off all the time. a harbor freight torque wrench isn't accurate at all. i've seen videos on youtube testing these on snap on torque wrench testers and they always torque stuff 10 to 12 ft/lbs higher than the setting of the wrench.
but I bought a high end torque wrench. if you have a cheap $15 torque wrench set to about 45 or 50 ft/lbs.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-03-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I am using Driven Racing 5008-520-45T and 1041-520-16T, BUT I am still looking for the best chain on my bike
I am think RK XSO or MAX X

any suggestions
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:28 PM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
View Post
I am using Driven Racing 5008-520-45T and 1041-520-16T, BUT I am still looking for the best chain on my bike
I am think RK XSO or MAX X. I have used RK in the past with no problems but this time when it counts, the dropped the ball on me so **** them. I'm not using their products again.

any suggestions
I personally wouldn't go with a RK chain just because I tried a MAX X chain and it failed within 50 miles of riding. I tried 4 times to contact RK about warranty and no one would ever contact me back. I even left a voicemail. I've used RK before. but this time when it counts, the dropped the ball on me. so **** them, I'm never using their products again.

I've had much better luck with EK chains. the one I mentioned above looks better than RK chains too. the shape of the links makes it look more appealing to the eye. the RK chains have a fatter link in the center instead of the hour glass figure. and the tensile strength of the EK chains are higher than the same priced RK chain. that means it's stronger, it's also lighter. EK chains also have a tooless master link so you don't have to buy a $100 chain tool. they come with a standard rivet style master link but you can order the tooless link to use instead.
and if you really want a hard core chain they have their new 3D chains. they are super light and very strong. but they're about $200

they have a SRX2 chain that is the least expensive and it's also really light weight.

here is their catalog since their site is horrible
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and if you want the best of the best,

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-04-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:15 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Have over 50k on my OEM DID 532 O-ring chain. Never wash it and regularly lubricate with 10W-30 engine oil. Sprockets are still OEM but DID doesn't sell a sprocket, that I've been able to find. I'm told the X-Ring (versus O-Ring) chains the best, in terms of staying lubricated longer. W-Ring chains are also supposed to be better than O-Ring.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:38 AM
I eat my R6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Have over 50k on my OEM DID 532 O-ring chain. Never wash it and regularly lubricate with 10W-30 engine oil. Sprockets are still OEM but DID doesn't sell a sprocket, that I've been able to find. I'm told the X-Ring (versus O-Ring) chains the best, in terms of staying lubricated longer. W-Ring chains are also supposed to be better than O-Ring.
the only reason it lasts that long is because it's a 532 size chain. if it were a 520 that would drop to about 12k. but the chain and sprockets are lighter. a 532 will come in around 5.25 to 6 lbs. a typical 520 comes in around 3.5 to 4 lbs. that's a lot of weight on a spinning assembly.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 05-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:08 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Yeah it's a big azz heavy mfn chain and I love it. Nothing will slow you down more, than having a hole in your crankcase.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Thank you so much for your help.
I am thinking to buy a EK 520 3D Z
yamahacrazy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in