Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir Change - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir Change

Has anyone done one? On my R6 2000 Model its looking faded and looking brittle and i have a new one to put one but have a question!

Can i some how change it without having to bleed the fluid?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Re: Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir Change

yes...forceps to pinch the line. Or just make it a 3" piece of tygon
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:58 PM
My R6 eats me.

That’s a good idea, but wouldn’t some air still be trapped in the hose above where it is pinched.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:58 AM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

As long as you leave fluid in the hose between the mc and the reservoir, so the master cylinder doesn’t get air in it, you won’t need to bleed the system. Although bleeding the system periodically is a good idea.
yamahacrazy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2004 R6 (5SL)

Personally, I would probably do a quick bleed along with it, just for the hell of it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:26 PM

Bike: '14 R6

You use the rear brake?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people leave air in the rear brake line to ensure that they don't lock it up in a panic situation. If the res looks brittle and faded and is a sign of distant past maintenance, I'd get a couple bottles of brake fluid and flush front and back.
I mean, it's your brakes.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 AM
My R6 eats me.

Garage
If your changing the res because it’s too old, you definitely need to flush the fluid. With questions like this concerning brakes, you should probably take your bike to a shop.
yamahacrazy likes this.

- Black Widow -
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:24 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helihover View Post
If your changing the res because it’s too old, you definitely need to flush the fluid. ...........................
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonez View Post
.............If the res[ervoir] looks brittle and faded and is a sign of distant past maintenance................
Regular, direct sun exposure, actually; both the fading and the cracks from a combination of the plastics degrading and thermal expansion/contraction.

============================

BTW, avoid letting hot water touch any rubber. It will irrecoverably stretch the rubber topper used in that reservoir. Fortunately I had an extra.

Replaced cracked front master cylinder and bled the replacement quite a bit too well. (used velcro strap to force the lever while I cracked the bleed screws) The lines are under so much pressure now, that the front wheel is a little hard to roll by hand and touching the lever begins to significantly slow the bike, before the brake switch is engaged to light up the rear. I'll have to go back and release some pressure from the system. I may be able to use paper or business cards as a spacer between pad and rotor.

As implied by others, unless you're a 300 pounder, the rear won't handle a lot before sliding. I've used more rear than normal (not to the point of sliding) to help balance out some of the tire wear... and also because I thought it would create less wear on the front pads. But I've seen now that the front pads last forever anyway so no point. The manual tells you to use some rear, but using more than designed/intended eats the pads for lunch. But they're cheap and quick/easy to swap. If you're not using organic pads for the rear, using too much rear will also chew through your rotor, necessitating early replacement. (and that isn't cheap or quick)

The forward most pad carrier for the rear caliper can also get damaged/worn/indented, keeping the pad from backing off like it should. That pad carrier is apart of the bracket support. (#10)

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good to take a peek at that when doing a pad/rotor/caliper service.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:28 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Also avoid overfilling that reservoir. As the braking system heats up, the parts and liquid will expand. If it's overfilled, it will slowly lockup your brakes.
TurboBlew likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoRiding View Post
Personally, I would probably do a quick bleed along with it, just for the hell of it.
reread my post. Even if you had coffee colored fluid in the system... there is enough hydraulic pressure to lock the rear brake up.
Go to any motorcycle junkyard with a sealed brake system... still works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in