• 1 Post By Intuit
  • 1 Post By coachroy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Bike: 2014 Yamaha R6
Garage
Trouble Downshifting

Ive got a 2014 Yamaha R6. Recently when I go to downshift, whether its at a full stop and I'm going down to 1st or I'm moving and I'm dropping down gears, it won't always downshift. When this happens, I don't feel feedback in the shifter. I have to hit the shifter multiple times. Even letting go of the clutch for a few seconds and trying to engage it again, I still don't feel any feedback from the shifter and have to repeatably hit the shifter down with my foot sometimes 6 or 7 times to drop a gear. It shifts up perfect every time though. This only happens when down shifting. I only have 3000km on the oil so I'm not really leaning towards that. The bike has 12,000kms on it. I may try adjusting the clutch cable but it grabs fine going up in gears so I don't see how the cable could be only causing issues going down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2018 YZF-R6 Blue
Re: Trouble Downshifting

Have you ever taken the pivot arm off of the shifter shaft for any reason? You may have just back on in the wrong position by a tooth or two. Itís easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage

Nope, never taken those parts off. Well I have for an oil change but that was months ago and this issue has only been happening the last couple weeks
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Clutch-in, shift up, then back down again, clutch-out. There's a troubleshooting section in the manual that describes that issue and the potential causes. I don't recall what it said at the moment. Might've been bent shift fork and/or linkage out of adjustment. But I do remember getting the impression that forcing the shifter would be a likely cause for this problem; and explains why anyone who does complain, says it's a downshift problem; never an upshift. (impossible to stomp on a shifter and go up a gear)
Peanut_EOD likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Make sure you're taking enough pressure of of the transmission before downshifting; and avoid forcing it. If you're racing and don't mind the extra maintenance, then no worries.
Peanut_EOD likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage

So after my reply Peanut_EOD, I started thinking okay I may not have touched it in awhile but what if the pivot arm bolt came lose, similar to what he was saying. Well when I looked at it, the bolt did in fact come lose. It did seem like the pivot point is still where it needs to be so I'll give ya an update if tighten that bolt makes a different.
Peanut_EOD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in