Do covers cause scratches? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Do covers cause scratches?

Does anyone have any experience regarding whether motorcycle covers scratch, wear, or otherwise damage the bike's paint? My last bike got stolen (from the building I used to live in), so I want to cover the new R6 I just picked up to keep away prying eyes. However, when I put the cover on for the first time, it felt like it was rubbing a lot. It's a Yamaha cover that I purchased from the dealer. The bike is kept underground, so wind will not be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:29 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Without the wind it will not scratch. However if it doesn't have a winscreen protector in the cover it will scratch it.
If the one you're looking at doesn't have a screen protector look into a Nelson rigg or dowco brand
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: Do covers cause scratches?

It depends on the material the cover is made from, but if you wash and wax your bike regularly, there should be minimal to no damage from most covers. If you order one directly from an OEM, it most likely will be designed with not scratching your machine as part of its functionality.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 05-26-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:04 AM
My R6 eats me.

with a nice coat of wax i dont think any cover would scratch your bike great question though
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:30 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Here's a thread on the same subject.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've used the one linked there for years and have not had any rub or scratch damage as a result.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Awesome, thanks for all the info. I'm gonna wax it up and keep using the OEM cover for now.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:04 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Here's a thread on the same subject.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've used the one linked there for years and have not had any rub or scratch damage as a result.
The one you linked in that thread is no loger available, you know where else I might be able to find it, or a similar one?

I bought like a $20 "waterproof " one from amazon. Not waterproof at all and now that you guys mention it, it feels like it has potential to scratch.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:41 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Well, it seems they hath closeth their doorz...

Well, if I had purchase again, I think I'd go with this one... though I'd want to know just how big the "cruiser" size is. (the Durashield was described as being 1100cc (cruiser) size, but actually a good fit for R6 if the mirrors were left folded out)

It claims high winds won't blow it off... don't believe it. High winds will blow any cover off that isn't wedged underneath the tires or strapped to the bike.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM
My R6 eats me.

I'm the one that asked the question in this thread :

From my experience, covers DID take the paint off the very tip of the tail of my bike. I tried several covers and seem to run into the same issue. The problem is that the tail comes to a point and the cover rests up against it. Constant moving eventually took the color off. Its worse if you aren't careful sliding the cover on and off, which I didn't realize when I first started using the cover. The rest of the bike seems fine, but I'm still trying to find a solution for the tail itself.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

dude get a dowco or nelson rigg cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in