Radiator Cap - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Intuit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Radiator Cap

Hello, can you all please help me out I have one concern. Is it safe to use a Radiator Cap 20LB - 1.4 BAR?
Has anyone used a radiator cap with higher LB's or BAR's than the original?
Really appreciate any help received, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 PM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: Radiator Cap

Yes. I believe Graves has one for bikes at 2.0 BAR.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think mine is actually a 1.4 from a Subaru "something' or a Honda 'something.' I bought it at an auto parts store in an emergency. I have to check.

Cooling system has been fine.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I been looking for something related to my question in the owners manual but no luck. I'm just worried it might damage the radiator.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:54 AM
Touchdown!

Not at all. The radiator will hold the pressure. They're engineered to hold a lot more. If the pressure gets too high, that's when fluid will escape to your overflow. That's the caps job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Really, so the one on your bike is a 1.4 and how long have you had it on? Have you had any problmes whatsoever? What year is your bike? I was having coolant overflow problems from the resovior and changed the radiator cap to a 1.4 and not 1.1 as the original cap. The leaking stopped, but I then realized the cap I put on would cause the pressure in the radiator to significantly increase and I am worried it can cause damage to the bike if the pressure exceeds what the radiator can hold if and I assume it does have a limit to the amount of pressure it can hold. I really appreciate your help and knowledge from experience.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Touchdown!

It's been on there since 2015. My OEM cap failed for some reason, and I needed one on the spot. It was an auto parts store, I think O'Reillys, about a half mile away. I went there and picked one up. No problems out of cooling system in a long time. Last year I did ride to the store, and I saw a puddle of coolant under my bike, but I never found the source. It's been fine for the last 2,000 miles or so. Thinking back, I don't think I fully twisted the cap on to the locking position as I was only out on a test ride. Some coolant may have leaked out as a result. Mine is a '12.

If you additional problems, you may need to identify the source, and fix it at the source.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:49 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

What purpose does raising the cooling system pressure serve... besides further raising the boiling temperature of whatever liquid is in there? I'm thinking liquid density will remain higher at similar temperatures, possibly aiding heat transfer? Is it a negligible change?
Straight Success likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks a lot I appreciate you sharing your experience it sounds exactly like the same reason I changed my cap as well. I was just worried I may damage the radiator or the engine by running the bike with a higher rated radiator cap. Other than me worried the bike works just fine no leaks at all after the change. I just wanted to hear from someone who had used a higher rated cap before and see how it worked. Thanks a lot for your help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 AM
Touchdown!

It's the same concept for any combustion engine cooling system. Here's a good explanation:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BTW, I run distilled water in my system. During the winter months, I drain it and use a 50/50 ethylene glycol - distilled water mix. That is unless I'm in California somewhere or when it doesn't drop below freezing much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in