Miles and longevity of R6 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Straight Success

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage
Miles and longevity of R6

Whats up everyone? First post here so if this is in the wrong category then i apologize! lol Just a quick question though. I recently just purchased a 2006 R6 it has 33k miles on it and it seems as if the previous owner maintained it pretty well. He gave me all the receipts for previous oil changes, along with the custom stuff he did to it such as; speed damper, exhaust (Coffman), power commander, shorty clutch level/brake lever, carbon fiber fairings, new sprocket, new chain, new windshield, new rear view mirrors... pretty much everything on the bike is aftermarket. I was just wondering how long bike usually last for? Is 33k a lot of miles to have on a super sport? Do i only have 10-12k more miles before i run into serious issues?

Also I am trying to figure out if the oil needs to be changed along with the brake fluid? Is there an easy way to tell if the fluids need to be changed?

Thanks in advance and I must say I am VERY excited to join the R6 community! Ive had previous sports bikes in the passed but this by far is my FAVORITE!🏍🏍🙌🙌🙌🙌😎😎😎
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:03 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success
Re: Miles and longevity of R6

100,000+ miles if taken care of properly. Most don't make it that far due to being crashed, totaled, or parted out. If taken care of, these things can last just as longer as your grandma's early '90s Accord or Corolla.
Peanut_EOD and |Anonymous| like this.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Lol Thanks!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Ditto. That's not to say things won't need replacing as all things wear with age, but proper care will keep the engine from going kaput long before it ever should have. So your mileage is no concern.

If I buy bikes 2nd hand I always just change out the fluids, you just don't know when/if they did it unless they have proof of when and what they put in. Don't forget about coolant. People seem to neglect flushing their cooling system.

Brake fluid should be replaced every couple of years. If the fluid looks like Cola then it's time to replace.

Oil is harder to tell unless it's brand new fresh. You said he had all the receipts so you can see when he last changed it if he kept records up to the time of sale. The only way to know for sure on the state of the oil is to have it analyzed (beyond what your seeking here I imagine). But it will also give you an idea of how long you can go between oil changes if you do have it tested at some point. I recommend Blackstone Laboratories if you decide to ever have the oil tested.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 AM
My R6 eats me.

Owners manual says to do a valve clearance check at 26k miles i think.. so def get that sorted if it wasnt already
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
100,000+ miles if taken care of properly. Most don't make it that far due to being crashed, totaled, or parted out. If taken care of, these things can last just as longer as your grandma's early '90s Accord or Corolla.
Nice, hoping to keep my bike alive that long if not longer. I mean the bike is a race bike after all which was designed to be pushed on the track so if you're just riding it and taking care of it should be unbreakable.

* Revving my heart since July 2017 *
2018 - Yamaha R6 (Team Blue)
2015 - Yamaha R3 (Team Blue) | SOLD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:50 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Manual recommends a valve clearance check every 25k. Opened mine up >50k to find that only one set of exhaust valves was close to maximum specification. The rest were close to middle of the spec. I'm a year-round rider. Absolutely zero build up underneath the valve cover and timing chain cover areas; clean as new. No reason to do any compression tests, but have no reason to believe it won't last well beyond 100k. The only downside, are the expensive, individual four ignition coils; which seem to require regular replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in