12v Switched Power for Laser Jammer? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2017 Yamaha YZF-R6
12v Switched Power for Laser Jammer?

Bike is a 2017 R6. Trying to connect my Adaptivtec laser jammer but I'm stuck on finding switched power. They provide a t-tap and I've tried tapping the wires near my taillight, but they don't seem to work. Verified my jammer connections/wiring are good by connecting the power for the jammer directly to the battery (powers up normally).

Will take a multimeter out there tomorrow, but this is starting to get pretty frustrating - maybe someone can provide some guidance? I should probably just take it somewhere.

Last edited by billyschmidt; 06-14-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:22 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: 12v Switched Power for Laser Jammer?

you need to read your owners manual. the bike comes with a auxiliary power connector installed by the factory. it doesn't show where it is like the R1 manual does. I assume it will be kind of the same kind of plug.
and maybe in the same location. the FZ and MT bikes seem to have it on the same location as the R1

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 06-15-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks - all the manual says is that it has a 12 aux power connector and gives no other info. Video was helpful.

Other thing I'm confused about though is how I would actually connect the spade terminal from the jammer harness to the aux power connector?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Either my t-tap isn't working or I'm on the wrong wire
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

okay figured out which wire it is. I have an aftermarket taillight which uses super small wires. So my plan is just to t-splice into it like this:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picture is with the t-tap which unfortunately doesn't make a solid enough connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190615_140503.jpg (531.0 KB, 10 views)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

What is the power draw or amps/watts on that jammer?
12v * ?A = ??W

Taps don't belong in an automotive environment. The constant vibrations may eventually cause the tap to finish chewing through the already damaged wire.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:02 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

plus you shouldn't spice into a tail light. first of all it probably doesn't have 12v going to it since they are now LED. or it uses a too low of a amp fuse. second when that tap cuts the wire in half (yes they eventually do as I've seen it dozens of times working at a dealership) or the low amp fuse keeps blowing from being over drawn by the laser jammer you will be left without a brake light for someone to smash you to death because they didn't see you stopping. and of course a cop to pull you over and give you a fix it ticket. we weren't even allowed to use those. I fixed about 6 bike's power commanders installs because that connector cut the throttle position sensor wires in half. we had to strip the wires and solder them. people wanted to buy the universal units because they are cheaper. but they don't have the factory style plugs and you have to splice wiring. which is never a proper thing.

also, I'm not trying to be a dick about this but looking at your picture, you are the kind of guy we would reject fixing your bike for electrical issues until you removed all that garbage hack wiring you have in there. that's a rats nest and nothing is worse than having to figure out the hackery on a bike that's been done that way. I would not touch your bike and leave it sit in the corner for weeks or until you agreed to pay us for 2 hours of electrical diagnostics for $275. about 90% of the bike's with electrical problems turned out being caused by that stuff.
guys would come in with batteries being dead all the time ect. they just though they needed new ones. it turns out all the lighting and accessories on their bike was using up 100% of the stator output capacity and the bike was running off the battery. this kind of thing is why motorcycle forums are full of dead battery and stator issue threads.
you have to be careful with a motorcycle wiring. you can fry a ECU. and motorcycle ecu's are close to and sometimes over $1000 for most bikes.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 06-16-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in