99 R6burnt stator plug, followed advice and no power - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 99 Yamaha R6
99 R6burnt stator plug, followed advice and no power

Hi everyone,

I am a longtime lurker of this forum and finally created an account because I have run into my first issue with my bike. Long story short, my bike (99 Yamaha R6) died while riding. Upon research I found this is a common issue due to the rectifier getting really hot and melting the stator plug. Well, turns out that is exactly what happened to my bike as well. So I did my forum research and found an old thread advising to just cut off the melted stator plug, crimp female connectors onto the stator wires and individually plugged them into the rectifier plug after using dielectric grease as well. Well, after spending hours delicately putting the connectors into the rectifier plug my bike now has no power it does not even crank. The battery and the stator are good as I tested them. I am at a loss as to what to do? The new female connectors are insulated but Iam thinking as the metal parts are touching each other that might be the problem? I used female spade connectors. Please help.

Edit: I forgot to add a second issue that I ran into. While attempting to remove the tank cover I ended up stripping the two bolts on the front end of the tank. So now I cant even take the tank cover off and unable to remove the rectifier. Is there an alternative way to access the rectifier or remove it?

Last edited by Breukelman88; 06-18-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to add that the tank cover bolts are stripped and cannot easily access the rectifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:09 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2018 R6
Hey just a thought.. if you didn’t have your battery disconnected while you were splicing maybe you shorted it out and popped a fuse?? - good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: 99 R6burnt stator plug, followed advice and no power

Yea do what Hayden said, i got tired of that issue also. Besides what you did with connectors thing i replaced the rectifier to another location. To make it work cooler i put it on the lower part of the battery box, between box itself and swingarm. It works great now.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018HaydenR6 View Post
Hey just a thought.. if you didn’t have your battery disconnected while you were splicing maybe you shorted it out and popped a fuse?? - good luck
Thanks for the feedback. I had disconnected the battery prior to removing the burnt plug. I am going to get a new harness and a 2005 gsxr 600 rectifier.

I will post pics later today so that anyone else in the same boat as me can take a look.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwaver46 View Post
Yea do what Hayden said, i got tired of that issue also. Besides what you did with connectors thing i replaced the rectifier to another location. To make it work cooler i put it on the lower part of the battery box, between box itself and swingarm. It works great now.
That is a genius idea. Does the swing arm hit the rectifier at all?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:16 AM
My R6 eats me.

Re: 99 R6burnt stator plug, followed advice and no power

I had similar issues. 2 rectifiers later, I ended up finding a mosfet type reg/rect and all new wiring to B+ and Ground, and heavier duty wiring from the stator.

Have you had any luck? Check your 30amp main fuse on the starter relay. Mine popped every time I connected the battery, due to an internal short in my original rectifier.
If the fuse is blown, d/c your rectifier before replacement of the fuse and replace your rectifier or you'll just end up blowing the fuse again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in