Starting to love my R6 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Starting to love my R6

I started riding it consistently this spring when the weather became reasonable. The OEM clipons were killing me so put 0 degree helibars on which helped amazingly. The daily commute stop-and-go has been so consistent a task that the ride I had today out in the sticks was something of a revelation; I spent 3 hours out trying to get lost in the back roads, didn't achieve that but I went on a bunch of new roads and got the treat of the bike's handling as I could put together corners and so on without the godforsaken traffic interrupting everything. Got the road head going, just digging the ride followed by a quick highway blast home and fell in love when the torque hit while scrambling out onto the highway past the entrance ramp slowpokes... just have to remember to go down 2 gears so as to not wait for rpm to build...

Its so much easier to steer than my old Bandit, which was a heavy handling sort of ride- the R6 is like a feather. The Bandit liked a well-defined turn point so the steering input could be timed and put in as a strong, definite motion. The R6 steers so easily and lightly all the old Bandit steering methods are hamfisted, have to evolve the whole turnpoint approach for this bike. OTOH I really grew to dislike the front brake feel now that I had the chance to use them in a more nuanced fashion- going to do a full teardown and cleaning with new pads right away. The Bandit loved vesrah pads so I'll put a set of them on. I flushed all the brakes in the spring, the pads still have a bit of wear to go so I was inclined to defer the full overhaul till the fall but this wooden grabby response is just nasty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:55 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Starting to love my R6

if you want some good brakes try Ferodo ST pads. when changing pad compounds and brands, remember that you need to prep the rotors to remove all the old pad materials. use a red scotchbrite pad or a pc of 120 grit sandpaper and scuff the rotor surface up a little bit. it doesn't take a lot. so you don't have to make them look new again. this will help the pads bed in properly and give you their full potential.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Many of the Bandit folks like Ferodo pads, the vesrah's also got top billing- they performed really well on the bandit which is a bit overweight for its brakes. +1 for the scuffing pads and rotors- I always do that when servicing the brakes or have the front wheel off. I did it on the R6 when I went thru the bike over winter, considering the feel of these brakes it didn't help much- this time I'll get the pistons out, clean the seals and so on. $5 says they've not been cleaned up since the bike was new in 99 lol
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

You don't want to get too spirited on roads you're not already intricately familiar with. That dirt/gravel driveway which you've always ignored in the car can take on a whole new importance when caught cornering or braking into the "spillage" from that dirt/gravel driveway. It's good to ride fun, just remember to keep your head above your heart.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 AM
My R6 eats me.

what year is your r6
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

metallic purple/blue '99, a couple owners ago it was a club racer- that guy put a jet kit in, gold valves on the front, Penske rear, new pipe. The prev owner had a deranged suspension setup on, so I put back the original shop's settings and have been slowly tweaking it since. Probably will do a Dave Moss remote tune at some point but the bike is pretty well behaved now- comfy for long rides etc. I wrecked my old Bandit last year due to overrunning my sight line on a twisty little backroad, spent about 10 days in the hospital, various broken stuff, totalled the bike- but at least I didn't hit anyone - so these days I am really mindful of the road I can't see sure wish my video camera hadn't lost the last 10 seconds lol, I missed a bunch of trees and a stump on the way down as I tumbled and slid... I can still hear the helmet grinding on the pavement when I think about it
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gpounce; 06-25-2019 at 05:37 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Wow man, you had it worst than me compared to my big one crash. Also a '99 here. Many years with it so i doubt i replace it soon. Honestly i hate when i gotta clean carbs every year, other than that i wouldnt change it for a newer bike. Its perfect for street and track days 👍
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Got the vesrah pads on, all hail garage kept bikes, it wasn't a flipping bloodbath getting the pistons out. Really like the 4 pistons too- the 6 piston units on my Bandit took forever to service. New pads feel infinitely better no grabbing and responsive at all speeds, old ones were plain old EBC's which work well enough though I've never really liked them between the occasional squealing and sometimes undesirable feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in