05 Headlight Problem - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

05 Headlight Problem

Hey guys new to the forum and riding as well. Got a great deal on an 05 R6 but of course it has its quirks after 46000 miles. When i first bought the bike the headlights once or twice didnt turn on for 30 or so seconds but fixed itself and hasnt given me a problem for the past week. Just tonight, my headlights went out (luckily i was pulling onto my street) and they wont come back on. When the bike is off, hitting the switch will turn on and off the high beam indicator. However as soon as the bike is running, the highbeam indicator stays on, but none of the lights on the front of the bike works. Switching the highbeams on and off does not change the indicator and the turn signals do not work any more in the front of the bike. The fuse seemed ok and i will go buy new ones tomorrow to really check. Is there any common issues that i should be aware of or common causes. I have mechanical and electrical experience from boosting my previous cars however I dont know where to begin on the R6. Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:29 AM
My R6 eats me.

Have you tried to reseat or ensure the electrical connectors are seated properly? The plugs going that connect to the headlight bulbs tend to be the weakest link.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrsmurf View Post
Have you tried to reseat or ensure the electrical connectors are seated properly? The plugs going that connect to the headlight bulbs tend to be the weakest link.
Yes I just ran through the everything I can see including the headlights. Just noticed the highbeam indicator will turn on and off while the bike is not running, and the turn signals will work as well. As soon as the bike starts though the high beam indicator comes on and stays on and the blinkers stop working.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Ok so I just got it working again, I did not check the connection off the handlebars but once I pushed the clips back on hard I could hear clicking everytime i turned the highbeams on and off and sure enough everything works again when bike is running. I will be taking them off soon to clean them, they might be corroded. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in