Overheat warning? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Overheat warning?

I have a 2017 r6.
The other day commuting back home my bike’s overheat warning light came on, while i stopped to fill up gas. The temp went up to around 258 so i shut off the engine for 3 minutes and the warning disappeared and i went on my way.

What possibilities caused my engine temp to reach so high while i was stationary getting gas??

I just want to make sure its nothing of concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2018 R6
Check your coolant and make sure it’s full, check the Rad cap and make sure it’s on tight if it’s lose or defective it will not build pressure properly. One more thing to check is the fans... make sure they are coming on if not check the fuses. I am putting money on the Rad cap or maybe low fluid.
r6Ben00 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:49 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
re: Overheat warning?

fans should have been able to control the heat. check their fuses and if they're operating.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Bike: 2018 R6
How did you make out?
T3ggrHappy likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Man! i've been scouring the internet for days over this exact thing! i have a 2019 r6 and almost the same exact thing happened! I was omw to the gas station, it was between 93-97 out in the middle of the day, and there is a small amount of traffic right before the gas station due to a few poorly placed stopsigns (Kentucky roads are aids sometimes)

As i pulled into the gas station, i saw it rise from the normal-ish 210 to i think 248 before i saw the light and hit the killswitch and coasted to the pump, i let it chill for a few minutes after i got gas, and it didn't happen again. I rode it home, and the next day i did a coolant flush. It had what i believe is stock coolant? it was like a blue/green almost like blue raspberry colored coolant. (This is my first r6 so idk if its stock)
But just to be safe i did a flush on it and put some Cool-Aide in it, made sure to burp it. I think i'm going to switch to engine ice though, heard nothing but good stuff about it. I haven't had any overheating since, hopefully i don't either.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:22 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemaysin View Post
Man! i've been scouring the internet for days over this exact thing! i have a 2019 r6 and almost the same exact thing happened! I was omw to the gas station, it was between 93-97 out in the middle of the day, and there is a small amount of traffic right before the gas station due to a few poorly placed stopsigns (Kentucky roads are aids sometimes)

As i pulled into the gas station, i saw it rise from the normal-ish 210 to i think 248 before i saw the light and hit the killswitch and coasted to the pump, i let it chill for a few minutes after i got gas, and it didn't happen again. I rode it home, and the next day i did a coolant flush. It had what i believe is stock coolant? it was like a blue/green almost like blue raspberry colored coolant. (This is my first r6 so idk if its stock)
But just to be safe i did a flush on it and put some Cool-Aide in it, made sure to burp it. I think i'm going to switch to engine ice though, heard nothing but good stuff about it. I haven't had any overheating since, hopefully i don't either.
just use normal coolant. every bike I've seen with that engine ice has puked it out after a hard ride. it's junk. the blue coolant is stock. a lot of companies are starting to make different color coolants for some reason. blue seems to be japan stuff now. and some european cars too.

keep in mind a new engine will run hotter for a while until it's broke in. my R1 was hitting 220 in traffic when it was brand new. but I flashed the ecu to have the fans come on around 214 now and it stays much cooler in traffic. your fans don't come on till around 218. the manufactures have to meet very strict european emissions so making them run hotter helps keep the converter hotter so it works better.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 08-15-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:58 AM
YZFR6... ooodles of HP

Bike: 2017 YZFR6HC
My bone stock still breaking in 2017 runs about 168f at speed and hits 200-220f sitting in traffic then fans come one.

MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91-'19]

2017 YZFR6HC....2002 ZX9R....1993 KTM 300EXC....1983 VF750F....1981 GPz 550D1 (x2.5)....1975 DT400B....1972 LT-2....1971 SL350K1....1967 CT90K1....Plus more projects
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:51 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: Overheat warning?

I was having overheating issues with mine. I flushed the system about 4 times with distilled water and then I added Engine Ice, problem solved. Bike runs between 150f-170f while cruising and when I stop it fluctuates between 200f-212f. Im not saying Engine Ice is the solution, it might've been that the old coolant was loosing its heat absorbing properties. But that's just what worked for me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONSADE View Post
I was having overheating issues with mine. I flushed the system about 4 times with distilled water and then I added Engine Ice, problem solved. Bike runs between 150f-170f while cruising and when I stop it fluctuates between 200f-212f. Im not saying Engine Ice is the solution, it might've been that the old coolant was loosing its heat absorbing properties. But that's just what worked for me.
I find that conclusion to be laughable. Or it could have been that your "stock" coolant mixture was 50/50. Simply diluting your stock coolant to 30% glycol content and 70% water would have netted the same results. Now you have EI which is garbage pre diluted garbage at that. So EI thinks you are too silly to mix their product...they do it for you.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
I find that conclusion to be laughable. Or it could have been that your "stock" coolant mixture was 50/50. Simply diluting your stock coolant to 30% glycol content and 70% water would have netted the same results. Now you have EI which is garbage pre diluted garbage at that. So EI thinks you are too silly to mix their product...they do it for you.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whatever the case may be it worked for me. Same thing was happening to a friends gixxer, we flushed the system and put Engine Ice in it and it never goes above 215F now. The "Pre diluted garbage" works for me and my friend and my wife's bike too. So yes, laugh all you want, my bikes are running cooler now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in