lowering - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

lowering

so I'm trying to lower my bike for my girlfriend shes 5'2 it's a 03 r6 I bought new lowering link dropped it 4 inches she was still tip toeing and after I did this I noticed the back end was bottoming out against fender I didnt lower front trees or anything but before I go forward with doing so I was wondering if I lower front end and stiffen suspension should that solve the problem of bottoming out I'm doing this so she can learn how to ride me give her that bike and me get r1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:45 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: lowering

you need to find her something smaller. you can't stop it from bottoming out against the fender unless it's raised back up. you're making the bike less stable. she needs a bike like an R3 or ninja 300. she's just way too short for anything else.
sportbikes have really high seating so they can corner at high lean angles. newer R6's and R1s are even higher. I tippy toe my 2015 R1. and flat foot a 2003 R6. if that tells you anything. they got that much taller.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:19 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My guess is she's seeking something with the power of the R6, but appropriately sized. Might be able to turbo that R3?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^ that search, might have some answers.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:25 PM
My R6 eats me.

I just lowered my wife's R6, she's 5'2 and couldn't reach the ground. I softened the pre-load on the rear spring, dropped the bike 2 inches on the rear and 1 inch on the front and now she can reach the ground with the tip of her toes. It was a confidence booster for her because she feels safer now that she can balance herself on a stop.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 AM
My R6 eats me.

You need to be careful when lowering/changing up the suspension/geometry. From my stock height to a lowered R6, it rides way different in the turns and not for the better.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:28 PM
I eat my R6

Definitely keep that butt off the seat if hitting a bump while cornering.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

jesus... the honda econo box fad has bleed into motorbikes.

Why cant these gals wear thicker soled boots?? Cut some peg indentions and be done?

These bikes arent meant to be lowered.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:09 PM
I eat my R6

There were a couple of road-wrinkles on a West bound lane of a lateral highway here (which they've twice decapitated) that I'd have a little fun with; one being large enough to catch a little air. If it weren't on a curve I'd really be able to hit it. I'm not lowered though. Lowered, I'd probably be catching air on both of'em and with much less speed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:10 PM
It's only $$$...

Bike: 2018 R6

Reality- virtually no pro riders can flat foot bikes in race trim, nor can many even double tip toe em.

But the lengths people go pursuing that is mind boggling.

If you skew the geometry of an R6 with a 4 inch drop in the rear, you'd be better off riding anything else. That things gonna wag the tail and/or run wide like crazy.

Recommendation- Boost her confidence with reassurance and have her one foot it, canted to her strong side. If she just cant get comfortable like that, swap it out for a smaller ride, realistically not a sport bike.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:41 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: Kawasaki ZX6R & YamahaYZF

I'm 5"3 and don't touch the ground on any of the bikes I ride. I would recommend NOT lowering the bike as it completely changes the way the bike handles and rides and it doesn't feel very good. My suggestion would be for her to start on something smaller that she CAN touch the ground on as slow speed riding and stopping when you are small can take up so much of your attention and energy that it doesn't leave much room for actually learning how to ride properly. A good riding school or class is also necessary to start with good fundamentals. Once she is confident with riding then she can move up to bikes that are bigger and she can learn some good tips and tricks for putting one foot down on the ground and not even trying to put both down.

Another option is to get an older seat and cut it right down to get her closer to being able to touch the ground. I actually rode a GS 1200 during an off road course but had them take the entire seat OFF so that I could get it on and off the side stand and be able to hold it up when I came to a stop.

Being short is no fun when riding and takes a lot of mental preparation and attention to make sure you don't put a food down on uneven ground or in an indent or stop on a hill etc and can make learning to ride so challenging if not on a properly sized bike.

I learned to ride on an older CBR 600 (1989) and was able to reasonably touch the ground and after that I bought a Kawasaki ZX6 and tried lowering it but it rode like crap so I raised it up again and by then was confident enough with riding to be able to learn to manage with only tip toes touching.

Ride safe

"Leap and the net will appear!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in