Low beam headlight connector fried - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Low beam headlight connector fried

My headlight went out recently and I just pulled it apart to check and the black connector is cooked. I was just wondering what the connector was called so I could get a new one or if you guys had any better options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15666006579544500423177900458173_1566600684423.jpg (380.3 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:24 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock
Re: Low beam headlight connector fried

When that happens there's typically a reason. Whether that's from a badly corroded female terminal or too much power? Subsequent testing is a good idea. If this is a result of a corroded terminal, do you have the large rubber o-ring on your caps, necessary for sealing out water? If it isn't water related, then the metal connectors may be defective, in which case the same thing may be occurring with the other side also. I have a couple of OEM connectors from a damaged headlight, I could cut out and send to you. In your situation I'd just purchase a pack of female blade terminals, crimp and solder them to the wire. *Quality* electrical tape will respond to the heat by shrinking the same way heat shrink sleeves/tubing do. Duck brand makes some good tape.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:00 AM
I eat my R6

BTW, if you go to lower wattage (but much brighter) LED, you'll require these.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
When that happens there's typically a reason. Whether that's from a badly corroded female terminal or too much power? Subsequent testing is a good idea. If this is a result of a corroded terminal, do you have the large rubber o-ring on your caps, necessary for sealing out water? If it isn't water related, then the metal connectors may be defective, in which case the same thing may be occurring with the other side also. I have a couple of OEM connectors from a damaged headlight, I could cut out and send to you. In your situation I'd just purchase a pack of female blade terminals, crimp and solder them to the wire. *Quality* electrical tape will respond to the heat by shrinking the same way heat shrink sleeves/tubing do. Duck brand makes some good tape.
All I need is the black connector in the picture with the female connectors already in it. I can cut and crimp the wires together. And I think the problem was it wasnt fully connected and it was maybe arcing? Idk. No water was in it. The seal is/was tight on the back.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:33 AM
I eat my R6

Taking another look at that photo, the female terminal actually looks fine. It's the male blade terminal from the headlamp, (which was fully inserted,) that got you. So you're the victim of a defective light bulb, more specifically its terminals are defective. When the metal corrodes, the result is it conducts very poorly. That poor conductor just converts more energy into heat. The heat accelerates corrosion. More corrosion results with more energy-to-heat conversion and... it's a runaway situation until something fails.

Who made that bulb? (so I know to replace'em when I see'em)

Visit the auto parts store with that bulb and use it to size-up a pack of female angled blade terminals. This would take minutes to do. Only potential issue is, you'll really want to solder that connection given the amount of heat that it'll experience. Rapid oxidation resulting with an eventual poor connection is likelihood.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Taking another look at that photo, the female terminal actually looks fine. It's the male blade terminal from the headlamp, (which was fully inserted,) that got you. So you're the victim of a defective light bulb, more specifically its terminals are defective. When the metal corrodes, the result is it conducts very poorly. That poor conductor just converts more energy into heat. The heat accelerates corrosion. More corrosion results with more energy-to-heat conversion and... it's a runaway situation until something fails.

Who made that bulb? (so I know to replace'em when I see'em)

Visit the auto parts store with that bulb and use it to size-up a pack of female angled blade terminals. This would take minutes to do. Only potential issue is, you'll really want to solder that connection given the amount of heat that it'll experience. Rapid oxidation resulting with an eventual poor connection is likelihood.

You're awesome dude. Dont know why I didnt think of that in the first place. Also. I don't know the make of those bulbs, they were on it when I got it. I can try and figure it out though. I'll keep you posted.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Used the smaller gauge connectors than the ones recommended. They worked fine. Light is now working. Only problem is securing the bulb to the socket. Since the connector that was held in by the wire no longer can work.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:46 AM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
BTW, if you go to lower wattage (but much brighter) LED, you'll require these.

I have these. Def worth it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:47 AM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggidyGoon View Post
Used the smaller gauge connectors than the ones recommended. They worked fine. Light is now working. Only problem is securing the bulb to the socket. Since the connector that was held in by the wire no longer can work.
Tried that initially but decided for something more robust.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:41 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggidyGoon View Post
............ Only problem is securing the bulb to the socket. Since the connector that was held in by the wire no longer can work.
I'm not sure what this means. The wire-spring presses against the flange on the bulb and doesn't involve the connector harness at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in