valve cover piece, oh and oil - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

valve cover piece, oh and oil

so this piece came off my valve cover, it comes off pretty easy when i put it back in. anyone know what purpose it serves? is it for the cam chain, or sprockets? will it hurt anything if this little black piece isn't on the valve cover, cuz i'd hate to put it in, put on my valve cover and have it fall into my valves..

also, i have 10w40 full synthetic in my bike and i needa add more oil, not much. i don't have anymore but i do have new 10w30 synthetic blend oil laying around, it's for cars (doesn't say motorcyle 10w30 on it and it's motorcraft is anyone cares lol) - just wanna confirm, it's not safe to mix 10w40 w the 1030 i have is it?

also is it safe to mix 10w40 motorcycle oil w 20w50 motorcycle oil, it'll be a little 20w50 oil i'll be adding
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190911_150833.jpg (512.2 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:36 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: valve cover piece, oh and oil

that's a timing chain guide. I dont know how it's normally attached but I doubt it falling back off is a good thing. it may have to be applied with an epoxy.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Ah gotcha.

and mixing 10w40 w 20w50?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:15 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

you can mix the 2 motorcycle oils.

it's never a good idea to use car oils. they don't use additives that motorcycle oils do to protect engine parts like the camshafts and lifters. cars do not use the kind of valvetrain with flat tappet lifters that's in motorcycles like the R6. so they don't put in zinc and other stuff to protect that stuff like motorcycle oils do.
a lot of guys think its fine to use car oils but oil companies blend their oils based on what car manufactures are telling them they need. there's a reason why there's so many kinds of oil. it's confusing because the oil companies don't come out and tell consumers anything such as why the oils are this and that. the api and jaso ratings is supposed to be our guideline. however, if you ask someone in the industry about the api ratings they'll explain that just because an oil for a car is rated a api or jaso category that your bike says is acceptable doesn't mean it will protect your engine in all conditions like racing for example. that's not what those ratings test.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:55 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

If that valve cover gasket is hardened in any spots, don't reuse it. It'll leak and you'll be inhaling burnt oil from your exhaust headers. You'll have to take off the throttle body (or radiator) again to get to it. Silicon spray helps condition and clean rubber parts. Make sure your mating surfaces are clean, and remain clean while you're maneuvering the valve cover back into place. Never an issue to mix slightly different oil weights. Oil types, can be a different story.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

gotcha gotcha. thankss
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

alrighty, thanks for the tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in