Problem switching from 1st to 2nd gear - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
r/6
My R6 eats me.

Problem switching from 1st to 2nd gear

I‘m sure that it's me and not the bike because I've had this problem on my Ninja 300 and R6 and I‘m a new rider. But sometimes when I switch from 1st to 2nd gear it's often not smooth at all and feels and sounds like something is not right. When I switch up past 2nd everything is fine. I usually switch when my Rpms are between 6 and 8 K. I also tend to wait about a second after I stop accelerating to hit the clutch and shift into 2nd because when my rpms go higher and I do it faster that's usually when I feel the gears like rubbing very hard on each other. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Also what rpm do you guys normally shift at? When I get to 8k it seems like a lot to me but it can of course go way higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Zip ties and Duct tape

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6
Garage
Re: Problem switching from 1st to 2nd gear

It is normal for there to be a little bit of a louder and noticeable "click" when going from first to second. Remember, you are going past neutral, so the gearbox may be a little louder once it engages. I personally shift between 6 and 8K and have never had any problems. Upshifting and downshifting should be completed in smooth swift strokes. Don't feather the clutch when upshifting or downshifting, and be sure to make prominant kicks on the shifter (i.e don't baby it slowly into the next gear, it needs a swift stroke being a sequential gearbox where everything meshes together). you said that you usually wait a second after you stop accelerating. Don't do that. The movement should all be quick and in unison. As you roll of the throttle, engage the clutch, and at the same time kick up the shifter. If you let your rpms drop too low before you shift, especially in the higher speeds, your gearbox will make a TERRIBLE clunk. The same noise when you slip neutral and then go back into first or second.

some things that you can do to make sure your bike is operating as should:

-make sure the clutch cable has the proper slack in the cable (i believe it's 12mm in the manual)
-make sure your shift rod is properly aligned on the shift shaft. There is a mark on the top of the shift rod that must be in line with the shift shaft. (The one on the rod looks like a dot, and the one on the shafts is just a straight line. These need to be in line with one another.
-Make sure you have the proper oil level. Your clutch, transmission, and engine internals are all lubricated by the same fluid. check the dipstick while the bike is level and make sure the level is between the hash-marks.

If you continue to run into shifting problems, you could have a bent shift fork. I highly doubt this since you said you also noticed it in your ninja. more than likely your bike is probably operating as should, but check these things just to be safe. If nothing helps, send a video of you shifting.

If you wait until the last minute to do something, it will only take a minute.

Last edited by r6Ben00; 10-07-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

there's one thing to keep in mind with a sportbike. they were designed to switch gears at or close to redline. this means lower rpm shifting may be more difficult. the first to second like already said, is often the worst. and even after more than a decade of riding I still hit neutral sometimes. I have a lazy foot.
if you're accelerating you don't need to use the clutch to upshift. motorcycle transmissions are called sequential transmissions. that means they shift without the clutch and only go up and down one gear at a time. often they start to shift better with an oil change. sounds silly but it does make a difference. some oils just don't work as well. use a motorcycle specific oil. it has more additives for motorcycle engine designs. the transmission and flat tappet lifters for one need extra zinc etc which modern car oils do not have.

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 10-09-2019 at 01:25 AM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:36 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 04' R6
I'm assuming you have a second gen right 03-05 model ? Very common on the second gens, going from first to second is known to be rough. You kinda have to practice being super smooth shifting into 2nd, if you're worried about it mechanically. . . Well don't be. I have an Annotori QS PRO quickshifter and when using it going into second it is smoother. But like I said, nothing to be worried about.

Drop A Gear And Disappear
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:11 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

1st to 2nd is trickier in many vehicles, car or motorcycle, because that gear ratio jump is greater versus the other gears, which are closer in ratio.

What causes the slam, is not matching the RPM. Note how much the RPM changes between gears, and try to match throttle position as you change gears. This requires a bit of intuition that is only developed with direct experience and practice.

With sequential transmissions, you'll want to do your shifting, as your reduction in throttle occurs. The longer you delay, the more likely you are to slam.

Also, avoid stomping on your shifter. Treat it like an up-shift and decrease pressure on the transmission via throttle control (or clutch), as you do the shift.

With really slow acceleration rates, which is annoyingly common on the streets, you may find it necessary to pull in the clutch as you do your 1 to 2 shift. Because the higher gears are closer in ratio, it takes especially slow acceleration for it to become necessary there.

Never attempt to downshift into first at anything other than crawl speeds. It can be done, but it's tricky and risky.

Last edited by Intuit; 10-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in