Bike dies at idle while ridding. - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike dies at idle while riding.

While I was out riding today my bike all of a sudden felt strange. I was going about 35mph coming up to a 4-way stop while slowing down behind a car in front of me. I pull in the clutch and release the throttle...RPM went to zero and the bike died. I let the clutch out while still rolling, about 20mph at this point, and the bike starts. I put it in with no throttle and the bike dies again. So I released the clutch to let the bike start itself in a roll again and keep the RPM's up so the bike doesn't die. I turn off the road to a side road and continue pulling in the clutch and letting the throttle off and watching the RPM drop to zero and the bike dies. I decide I better get home by just keeping the throttle cracked a bit (keeping the RPM's up), and about 10 minutes later I noticed the gas light came on. I decided not to get gas, but instead head home incase I couldn't start the bike along the way. About 1/2 mile from home I hit a red light, and while coasting to the light I decided to let off the throttle while the clutch was pulled in while rolling. And guess what? The damn bike was idling! So after turning off the main artery heading home, I played around with the clutch, throttle, and roll thing and the bike kept running. It would idle now. So I went and got gas and came home. The problem I was experiencing with the bike not wanting to idle went on for about 15 minutes or so. I never got any codes while this was happening.

Anyone else experience this issue? I'm trying to figure out what is wrong? The only thing I can think of at the moment is some water was at the bottom of the fuel tank. Or somehow air got into the fuel line? I might send the bike back to the dealership to get check out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by Paytheon; 08-17-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 PM
still alive...

Bike: 2004 R6...KIA
Re: Bike dies at idle while ridding.

happened to me too a while ago. it happened right before summer so i dont know if it had somethin to do with the cold air cause itd only happen in the morning before i went to work. but once the weather and the engine warmed up it would run fine. it happened off and on for a couple weeks then the oil light came on. changed the oil and never had it happen again. thats just my experience though, i have no idea why it happened
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

The odd part about mine dying is I had been riding it for 20 minutes prior to it acting up. I just went out again for an hour ride and it road fine. Not sure why it did that? I'm wondering if there was water in the gas or something.

|
|
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: R6 06 euro white/red
Send a message via Yahoo to ianex17

i had this problem with my r6 06 too. i solved it by just fully charging the battery. no logic tho.. but it solved this problem to me..
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to 2006R61999M3 Send a message via MSN to 2006R61999M3 Send a message via Yahoo to 2006R61999M3

I have had the same thing.
I get up in the morning, then I warm it up a bit to about 120. Then I leave, ( I dont gas it hard), but when I get to the stop sign I put the clutch in and brake to a stop where the engine would die. It started to act normal again when I changed the oil. No logic to that as well, but it worked. However in the past week it seems to have been coming back. I'll be changing the oil again soon. I guess I Could also charge the battery again, I have never checked the battery, the water, nor was it on a trickle charger in the winter.
r
e
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Shiney up Rubber down

Bike: 04 Red R6 and 09 White R1

hmmmm... Two Ideas from THIS guy.

Go out and buy some Sta-bil. But the correct amount in your tank with a full tank of gas. Run it completely out. See what THAT does for you first.

If nothing. (and I hate to sound like an ignorant jerk but) Have you checked your idle speed lately? Is it the same as it has always been? What is it set at? I keep my idle at 1500 Revs (when it's cold and warming up, and 1300 when it has warmed up.) I'm also on an 04 so your's may even be a little bit higher

Other than that I'm not sure. But, I did have a friend with a similar problem of that sort, he adjusted his idle speed up a couple of hundred revs (again not trying to make you feel like an idiot) EX: *RANDOM NUBERS* from 900 to 1400 or something like that. You know like up 500 revs or so maybe even less than that

NOTE: I totally pulled those #'s out of my arse because I can't remember the TRUE #'s in the case of HIS bike.

Hope that helps man... Other than that, not sure.

ZW

Shiney up Rubber down

PHANTOM.... DID YOU BUY A BIKE YET?
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 06 r6

i've had similar problems when my bike is cold and idling, if I bring the rpms up to 3 or

4 and then let off ,the rpms stop at 1000 for a brief moment and then go to 0. I'm

pretty sure this has to do with the fuel not comletely vaporing, instead some

molecules get stuck to the sides of the cylinder walls and what not. i've never had

any problems when the engine is warm. sooo. im not sure for those of you having

problems after riding for a while.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaydc18
i've had similar problems when my bike is cold and idling, if I bring the rpms up to 3 or

4 and then let off ,the rpms stop at 1000 for a brief moment and then go to 0. I'm

pretty sure this has to do with the fuel not comletely vaporing, instead some

molecules get stuck to the sides of the cylinder walls and what not. i've never had

any problems when the engine is warm. sooo. im not sure for those of you having

problems after riding for a while.
Vapor lock had crossed my mind too. There are times the bike wants to run hot and that is a possibility.

|
|
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Shiney up Rubber down

Bike: 04 Red R6 and 09 White R1

Vaporlock never crossed my mind really. BUT, honda had a HUGE problem with vaporlock at daytona this year. It was hot as a nut sac and humid as heck. I guess if it's really hot where you are, that's definately a possibility

ZW

Shiney up Rubber down

PHANTOM.... DID YOU BUY A BIKE YET?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
All about the corners

Bike: 04 R1, 06 R6, 07 YZ250f

I had this same problem with the R1. Lift your tank and make sure the fuel lines are not kinked.. If they're bent odd, as they get hot, it'll cut the fuel... you can get fuel through if you open the throttle, the fuel pushes through...at idle, not so much..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in