Hit a Racoon at 70 MPH! =( - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
2008 Raven R6

Bike: 2008 Raven R6
Angry Hit a Racoon at 70 MPH! =(

So I was in Rochester, NY at the Bar (Not drinking) just hanging out with some friends and decided to head home. I took the express way and was just about at my exit when a racoon shoots out from the median of the express way and starts running across the passing lane. I am in the right lane towards the middle of the road going about 70 mph...I decided to stay put and not try to dodge the little bastage as he will pry cut back or right into my bike and if im going anything but straight I might put it down. So staying in my line he runs right into my path and then apparently decides to outrun me and turns straight and runs along the expressway in the exact path of my bike. Well suffice it to say I hit him as given by the title of this thread and the fact that an R6 is much faster than a racoon. My handlebars shook pretty hard but I recovered got off my exit and stopped at the gas station right there. I looked at everything on my bike and there is no damage that I can see. There was a bunch of hair pinched between the tire and the rim but nothing else. Scary though, as it was 98 all day and I wasnt wearing any gear
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I know I probably shouldnt say that on here, but it taught me a lesson and I think I will be wearing it all the time now.

Either way to the real point of this...Is there anything I should really be worried about with my bike? Or what should I check/have checked? I have been riding it to and from work still with no problems or noticeable lack of stability. I am just wondering what I should do before I am out riding hard and leaning and it cuts out from under me or something. Thanks in advance all and ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Re: Hit a Racoon at 70 MPH! =(

RIP racoon lol

but yeah most likely no damage
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: '08 R6

neh it's just another bump in the road. a very hairy, bloody one.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
just give ur bike a nice, quick shave and ur good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I eat my R6

Poor lil racoon never had a chance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Team: Teletubby racing

Bike: 2004 r6,1973 norton

godspeed the raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario J View Post
Dan for mod 2010!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408_grow View Post
id vote dan for mod
Proud Member of Team: TELETUBBY RACING
Suicide is NEVER the answer,
getting help is the answer.,1-800-273-TALK

godspeed Noodz
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
2008 Raven R6

Geeze, no "glad to see your not a bloody patch in 490 Matr|x." Just poor racoon eh? LOL. Well glad to hear there is nothing to worry about, he was a big sucker...thanks for the info everyone. I feel better...the racoon may not.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:25 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 05 R6

i was always taught to slow down (emergency stop) better to hit it doing 5mph than 70

edit glad you faired better than the racoon

(Linked)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
2008 Raven R6

It was much faster than described...I only had a few secs. to react. Slamming the breaks wouldnt have done anything but put me at 60mph and had me much more forward on the handlebars. But yeah I would have done that for sure...wouldnt have lost my skin if I fell at 5mph
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:34 PM
2003 R6

Bike: 03 R6
Send a message via AIM to cmp007

I hit a possum at 100 a few weeks ago. I made it enough to just run over his tail and barely clip the back of him. Talk about some scary shit.

2003 R6

-Ohlins rear shock
-Racetech springs & gold-valve kit in forks
-Vortex 520 conversion
-Vortex Sprocket -1 +2
-Scotts stabalizer
-Micon slip-on blue/black can
-Power Commander III USB with Micron fuel map
-Integrated LED taillight/blinkers

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 05:57 AM
I eat YOUR MOM

Bike: 07R1 06K9 08wr250x crf50

wow, i've never hit any animals thats crazy, i live i the sticks too.

at least the coon took the hit instaed of you trying to advoid it and going down.

my NASTY 2008 WR250X Stunt Bike Build (winter 10/11) Lots of Pics!!!

SL & SR user name: INSANECRAZZY

]
sig by: GIJoe007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in