R6 questions! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

R6 questions!

Hello everyone!
I will be buying a bike this week. I'm looking at an 04' r6 and a 600rr.
I like the feeling on the r6 alot better but i just had a few questions before i buy. I've been studying the past month on the r6. Why do all the magazines jag the 04 r6? They say that the front tire ratio kills the front end feeling. Does this mean the bike washes out on the street while being agressive? Sportrider said the r6 was the best 600 for 03'. It beat out the 600rr which is my second choice. I know the 600rr is a good bike but it is uncomfortable as hell. Finally on other r6 forums i heard of 2nd gear failures from 5000 to 20 miles. Was this only on the 2000 to 2002's?
I really want this bike but need to know from the experts. People who actually have r6's.
Thanks,
SMOKE
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:54 AM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to RSixxr
GET THE 6. It's definately the more comfortable of the two bikes, its lighter, it handles better(kills the RR in the twisties), and lets face it no other bikes look as mean as the 6...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R

whats really good?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:57 AM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to RSixxr
I think that lil problem with the 2nd gear failure was only in the later year models like you mentioned. Theres a thread on that somewhere around here.

oHH yea welcome

whats really good?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to penfold
well, in like 3 of 4 mags, the 6 came out on top. no reason for that to change this year since everyone brought the same toys out to play this year.

nonetheless, it comes down to how comfortable you are on the bike and if you like how it looks (and probably at some level, insurance, since the R6 was the most stolen bike last year - I believe anyways) etc, etc. Both the 600rr and the R6 are great bikes with a ton of aftermarket support for them. Obviously I'm a bit partial but I sat on both and was really uncomfortable on the 600rr. To me, thats just one more distraction I don't need when I'm on the road. I got enough to do with checkin out the cars and trying to figure out what they are gonna do so I can avoid them (cuz they are all idiots out there) instead of sitting there thinking about how hard the seat is or how aggressive the seating stance is. The R6 handles like a dream and has great power delivery (I can only speak to the 03+ bikes) along with great brakes. Hell, it damn near ran the sames lap times as a Suckzuki 1000!
So, personally, I'd say get the 6. But the choice is ultimately yours cuz you gotta be happy with what you spend your money on.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:41 PM
I eat my R6

-----------six all the way--------------

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Anything else about the front tire ratio and 2nd gear problems? In my opinion the r6 is not the best looking bike but i do like the blacked out rims and swing arm. I think the rr twins are the best looking but i was in no way comfortable on the 600rr. The riding position i felt was better on the r6 also.
thanks for the replies.
SMOKE
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 01:50 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to penfold
the 03's and up don't have the tranny probs. still a bit notchy but works fine otherwise. as for the front tire ratio, I have no problem with the stock 60 series tire. turns in plenty quick for me. I know some poeple have gone with a 70 but damn, any quicker of a turn-in and you'd probably lose control! The damn bikes falls right in as soon as you start your turn and stays right where you going right where you are looking.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Z

The R6 runs on a 60 series front, instead of a 70 series. The 60 seems to have a bit more rounded profile, so it is a gentler transition going into curves. Actually makes the bike a bit more street friendly. It isn't goint to cause the front to "wash out". Improper tire pressures, and bad cornering technique cause the front end to wash. And you can change to a 70 profile without much drama.

The 2nd gear issue appears to have been resolved. However, the transmission is still pretty clunky, especially between 1st & 2nd.

And most the magazines are full of shit. Last year CW rated the R6 #1. This year they rated the CBR-RR #1. Both bikes are unchanged.... so what happened to make the CBR better this year? (advertising $$$ ???)

Roadracing World rated the R6 #1. Mainly because it was consistently good in ALL aspects of their testing, though not always the best.

Performance Bike magazine didn't like the R6 because they felt it was dull.

I love the R6 because it is so confidence inspiring and easy to ride at a fast pace. But I will be honest, I bought it mostly for the looks and how well the ergo's fit ME. As well as my positive experience with Yamaha's in the past.

ALL of the 600's are so good, and so close in performance... you can't go wrong with any of them.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Thanks for the reply Rocky6
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 02:53 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSixxr
I think that lil problem with the 2nd gear failure was only in the later year models like you mentioned. Theres a thread on that somewhere around here.

oHH yea welcome
agreed, you'll bae happier with the R6...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in