Anyone retrofit 2017 R6 Mirrors onto Older Generations? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Flyers28
  • 2 Post By tdoss1980

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Question Anyone retrofit 2017 R6 Mirrors onto Older Generations?

Wanting to get some turn signal mirrors, does anyone know how different the mounting is between a 2017 R6 and a 2008-2016 R6?

Picture of the 17 R6 mirrors:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had some cheapo ones on my CBR before, but don't really want to go that route anymore. TIA! If not, what have you guys done for turn signal mirrors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 05:10 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: Anyone retrofit 2017 R6 Mirrors onto Older Generations?

I am pretty sure they are very different. The angle and mounting bracket all look quite different. I'm sure if you have the resources and the skills it could be fabricated.

Short of fabbing the stock mirrors with turn signals IMO there is not a whole lot of options. The aftermarket mirrors are garbage, at least says everyone else. I have no personal experience, but I trust others opinions.
Urbane likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 06:13 AM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

Yes the aftermarket mirrors with signals are complete garbage, I try to take them off every bike that comes thru the shop. Another issue you will have with the 17 on the older ones aside from what flyers said would be the extra hole for the signal wire to go thru unless yamaha ran the wires thru the mounting stud.
Urbane and [email protected] like this.

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:48 AM
Chism

Bike: 2017 R6
Garage

I've had the same issues with a used mirror I ordered from the UK which didn't hv the dble thread base included. So I combined my old dble threaded base to the new mirror by drilling a new hole (w/an addtl nut and bolt to attach mirror arm w/dble thread base. I also ground about .5 the bolt off the entire length to make room to bring the wire thru. Ive almost gotten the 2 wires thru but when I put the final tightening on the bolt, I manage to pinch at least 1 of the wires off (if not both). I'm determined to get this cheap mirror to work, so Ill hv to drill an alt route for the wiring...any suggestions here?

PS - If I can get this used mirror to work Im gonna try and devise a quick button-motorized system to pull the mirrors in tight, just prior to entering the split-lane zone (yes, I live in Southern California

Phil Hicken
720-339-3326
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:02 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Can you just route the wire around the the side of the windshield/mirror-base mount? If the tiny wire bothers ya'll that much, there are flat wires that can be spliced in...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In terms of aftermarket nothing will come close to OEM in terms of usability, fold-ability and durability.

I had owned a couple of those terrible aftermarket mirrors (who's failing is that they're plastic instead of metal) and yes, complete unsafe JUNK is being generous. If they were just metal, they would at least be decent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in