Front Turn Signals: Thinking Outside the Box - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2004 R6 (5SL)
Front Turn Signals: Thinking Outside the Box

Hey, everyone!

I have a 2004 R6, and I am currently trying to think outside the box as I attempt to sate my desire for better Turn Signals on the front of my bike.

Currently, I have Flush Mount Turn Signals, and I have also done a Mirror Delete, installing Bar-End Mirrors and Mirror Block-Off Plates.
I've never been a huge fan of the "Bunny Ears" look, and the stock Mirrors that were on the bike when I bought it weren't very adjustable, and all I could see were my shoulders.

That said, I am conscious of safety as well as the aesthetics of my bike. Flush Mount Turn Signals may look great, as they help keep the smooth body lines of the bike, but they're not very visible.
I had considered trying to run two LED Strips along the inside of my Windscreen, on the left and right edges, but it's a dark smoke color, and I doubt they'd shine through very well.
Plus, there's the fact that LED Strips always have the adhesive on the back, so that would never work anyways.

What I'm considering now are the following two ideas, and I want to get some help and opinions before I do anything.

Option One: I could mount the two LED Strips that I have somewhere on the front of the bike. I've seen people put them right along the tops of the headlights, matching the curves of them.
This would be a viable option, but I question where I'll be able to route the wires to get them behind the fairings and out of sight.
These are the same LED Strips that I have on the rear of my bike acting as Turn Signals, and they're quite bright, even during the day.

Option Two: I could buy some Flush Mount Turn Signals and install them where my Mirror Block-Off Plates are.
The tough part is going to be finding a set that are roughly the same size and shape, to avoid not having enough space on the fairing to mount them, or to have part of the holes from the mirrors not be covered.
I realize that I could potentially have to drill into my fairing to have a means of attaching them.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for any comments, help and suggestions!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:44 AM
My R6 eats me.

Re: Front Turn Signals: Thinking Outside the Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoRiding View Post
Hey, everyone!

I have a 2004 R6, and I am currently trying to think outside the box as I attempt to sate my desire for better Turn Signals on the front of my bike.

Currently, I have Flush Mount Turn Signals, and I have also done a Mirror Delete, installing Bar-End Mirrors and Mirror Block-Off Plates.
I've never been a huge fan of the "Bunny Ears" look, and the stock Mirrors that were on the bike when I bought it weren't very adjustable, and all I could see were my shoulders.

That said, I am conscious of safety as well as the aesthetics of my bike. Flush Mount Turn Signals may look great, as they help keep the smooth body lines of the bike, but they're not very visible.
I had considered trying to run two LED Strips along the inside of my Windscreen, on the left and right edges, but it's a dark smoke color, and I doubt they'd shine through very well.
Plus, there's the fact that LED Strips always have the adhesive on the back, so that would never work anyways.

What I'm considering now are the following two ideas, and I want to get some help and opinions before I do anything.

Option One: I could mount the two LED Strips that I have somewhere on the front of the bike. I've seen people put them right along the tops of the headlights, matching the curves of them.
This would be a viable option, but I question where I'll be able to route the wires to get them behind the fairings and out of sight.
These are the same LED Strips that I have on the rear of my bike acting as Turn Signals, and they're quite bright, even during the day.

Option Two: I could buy some Flush Mount Turn Signals and install them where my Mirror Block-Off Plates are.
The tough part is going to be finding a set that are roughly the same size and shape, to avoid not having enough space on the fairing to mount them, or to have part of the holes from the mirrors not be covered.
I realize that I could potentially have to drill into my fairing to have a means of attaching them.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for any comments, help and suggestions!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You could always get fork clamps and add lights to them in addition to your side markers. Just tie the electrical in, as long as you dont have an LED/Halogen mix you should be fine.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:36 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I like the idea of led lights on the headlight, kind of like audi has. Do you have a link to the led lights you have? I cant find the right ones all the threads about this are so old that the links in the threads no longer work.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyFirstATGATT View Post
You could always get fork clamps and add lights to them in addition to your side markers. Just tie the electrical in, as long as you dont have an LED/Halogen mix you should be fine.
I think I've seen those before. They're little LED Rings around the forks, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager33 View Post
I like the idea of led lights on the headlight, kind of like audi has. Do you have a link to the led lights you have? I cant find the right ones all the threads about this are so old that the links in the threads no longer work.
Yeah, that's what I think I'm going with, since I already have a set of the LED Strips too.

Here's a link to the kind that I have. They work perfect on the tail of my bike as rear signals, so I imagine they'll work perfect in front too.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:12 PM

Thanks! Yeah they look nice but are they flexible though? Cause your gonna need some flexibility coming around the little corner of the light if you know what I mean. I saw someone do this with white lights though, so he had them like audi lights and as turn signals.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah they look nice but are they flexible though? Cause your gonna need some flexibility coming around the little corner of the light if you know what I mean. I saw someone do this with white lights though, so he had them like audi lights and as turn signals.
Yes, they're quite flexible. They won't have any problem conforming to the curve of where I plan to put them. The adhesive is solid as well; the strips I have on the tail of my bike haven't even started to show signs of coming off.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 PM

Alright just keep in mind that if you attack them onto the light housing some of that heat might melt the glue but should be fine. Im excited to see how you do it, are you gonna do orange?

Would be really cool if it was possible to have white lights but when you turn the signal blinker on it flashes in yellow but maybe too ambitious haha
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Alright just keep in mind that if you attack them onto the light housing some of that heat might melt the glue but should be fine. Im excited to see how you do it, are you gonna do orange?

Would be really cool if it was possible to have white lights but when you turn the signal blinker on it flashes in yellow but maybe too ambitious haha
Yes, they're amber in color, as they legally should be. There is a type of LED Strip out there used for signals that shines white as a DRL, and then flashes amber as a signal. I can't remember what it's called.

I looked into them, but they won't work in this particular application because they're meant to go INSIDE the headlight housings, and I'm not taking them out and baking them so I can get them apart. No thank you.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:05 PM

Garage
Honestly, there is a thread somewhere on here or maybe over on r6messagenet that lays out the process of removing your headlight lens from the housing. I used the write up and did led strip turn signals inside my housing and i love them. I mounted them on the bottom of the housing instead of the top tho. It was somewhat nerve racking putting a plastic housing in the oven, but well worth the results.

Ill try to dig up the thread and post it on here so you are better informed.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Garage

In this thread a guy put his in the oven at 215 degrees for 10 minutes.

I remember mine took about 20 minuts before i could pry it apart.

I got some headlight sealant online on eBay and i have had a dry housing since i did the mod the winter before last.

Just something to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in