How to: A simple, cheap, and easy mod - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: '08 R6
How to: A simple, cheap, and easy mod

For some reason, the first thing i notice when I look at the 3rd gen R6's is that shiny silver pipe that leads from the radiator to the thermostat on the left side. Anyway, I decided to use a high heat black engine paint to make it practically disappear. It cost me about $6 total and turned out perfectly. Check it out...

Before:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I honestly don't know if draining of the coolant is necessary, but I wasn't taking any chances of antifreeze pouring all over my new shiny bike
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. i was also adding water wetter anyway...

Remove radiator cap:

Unscrew drain bolt:

Yamaha already marked exactly where the hoses are positioned. If this isn't already done, do eeett with a sharpie.

Loosen pipe clamps and remove:

I taped the two edges for a few reasons. 1 - it was something to hold on to when I spray it. 2 - bending in the corners don't allow paint inside the pipe. 3 - i wasn't sure if the slightly textured paint would allow for the best seal.

Taping the edges (note there is a tiny bit of extra room before the hose marks):

Sandblasting the pipe. A medium grade sandpaper or scotch brite pad would also work just fine:

I used Duplicolor's high heat engine paint. They have an engine enamel but it supposedly has a shiny finish. I wanted the duller, higher heat paint so that it matched the frame better and so I definitely didn't have any problems with the temperature of the pipe.

First coat:

3rd coat:

Remove the tape and bake for 2 hours at 300 degrees (this part is a little stinky. it's better to do this by a vent with a fan):

Finished:

Reinstall on the bike:

Make sure u replace the drain bolt and pour your coolant back into the radiator. You might need to fill it up, run the engine, then refill. Replace all your fairings and VIOLA! ur done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by snowbizx; 05-23-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 AM
R6 Doin' Work

Bike: 2007 R6 Candy Red
Re: How to: A simple, cheap, and easy mod

Pretty cool. Although I have no problem with stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: Puig Double Bubble Windscreen, Graves Fender Eliminator Kit,
Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight, Proton Flush Mount Turn Signals,
K&N Filters, Hotbodies Slash Cut Slip On, Shogun No Cut Frame Sliders,
Xenon 6000K HIDs, Progrip Tank Pad

Gear: Alpinestar SMX-2 Air Carbon Gloves, Motoboss Air Speed Mesh Jacket,
Shoei TZ-R Nucleus TC-1 Helmet

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
My R6 shoots tequila

Bike: 50th r1

Great write up man

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I eat my R6

thought about doing that, just dont feel like breaking it down

06 R6 RAVEN

LOOKS -Puig d/b d/s Screen -HID's 3000k High Beam 6000k Low Beam -Black Shorti Pazzo Levers -Spike Bar Ends -Spike Rear Spools -Custom Seats -Custom Red LEDs -Custom Aux Light w/ Red LED -Black Powder Coated Sets -Shogun n/c Frame Sliders -Flush Mounts -Pro Grip Carbon Tank Pad -Carbon Mirrors or Vortex Mirror Block offs -Smoked Int. Tail w/ Stealth Switch -Tag Soft Black Grips -Misc Decals -Custom Fender Eliminator

PERFORMANCE -Custom Xhaust Headers -Power Commander III -Scotts Billet Oil Filter -Hyper Pro Steering Damper -BMC Race Filter -Vortex Cat5 520 Conversion -DID EVR3 Chain -SpeedoHealer -Galfer Stainless Steel Brake Lines -Vortex Gas Cap and Base -Galfer Rear Wave Rotor -Acumen Gear Indicator (red) -Pilot Power 2CTs -Black Chain Tensioners

-much more to come!!!
-Termi Exhaust -Rims -Galfer Front Wave Rotors -Can someone tell me what else there is...

Check out some pics....

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Ride It Like It's Stolen!

Bike: 07 R6s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJr605 View Post
Great write up man
+1 Nice Job.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:05 AM
pop wheelies

Bike: 2010 R1
Send a message via AIM to AirManCam

Yeah it looks sweet, but I don't mind the regular color. Heck just color it black with a sharpe lol

^Sig complements of Twizzy!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
WATCHOUT...I'll be back

Bike: '07 Candy Red

Nice write up and great job. I will use this writ up to drain my my coolant and change it to something later on when it gets hotter here in cali. Thanks
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: '08 R6

thanks guyz! i'm really happy with the results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsshdogg View Post
Nice write up and great job. I will use this writ up to drain my my coolant and change it to something later on when it gets hotter here in cali. Thanks
Just remember, I didn't completely drain and flush the system. I just drained out enough coolant so that the pipe I was replacing didn't have anything in it. you're also gonna need to remove the radiator hose, the reservoir, and flush the system with water first. the manual is very helpful with this. you should have no problems at all...

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Nice. Has this helped with heat coming off the pipe? It hasn't really gotten hot enough here to matter, but on those hot days, the air coming off of that thing and onto your leg can be a scorcher. I was thinking of wrapping some black exhaust wrap around mine, but i dunno. This is definitely something I'll be doing though. Great write-up.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Who eats a motorcycle?

Bike: 04 R6/08 R6

nice write up and you defiantly took your time to do it the right way. You know what you, need? a hobby! haha
no seriously, I wish I had the parience to do things like that!

Hyperpro Dampener :Akro Slip On : CA Integrated tail : Hotbodies Screen :Hotbodies Flushies
ProGrip Grips : Gold Wheels : Gold Decals : Flat Black Mids & Tank Fairing : Fender Eliminator
Black/Gold Pazzo Shorties : Lamin-X Headlight Tint : OEM Solo Seat Cowl :Powdercoated Bits

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in