How To: Coolant Flush w/ Pics - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
zomething different

Bike: 07 R6s
How To: Coolant Flush w/ Pics

Fairly easy job. Let's get started.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here's what you're going to need. Basic tools, distilled water, container to catch fluids, a funnel, fresh coolant of your choice, and rags or paper towels. I use that baking pan to keep all the hardware organized. It's also nice to have your owners manual handy to reference.

First, get your bike on a level surface and allow it to cool if necessary.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Remove this panel...

...this lower cowling...

...this lower cowling and coolant resevoir cover. Reference your owners manual if you don't know the correct procedures.

Loosen the clamp screw.

Disconnect the air intake duct. This will allow access to the radiator cap.

Place a container under the bike to catch the fluids.

Remove the coolant drain bolt.

Allow coolant to drain completely. As you can see, this can get a little messy.

Loosen this hose clamp.

Disconnect hose and allow to drain.

Now to the coolant resevoir.

Get these hoses off to the side.

Remove these two bolts to remove the resevoir.

Remove resevoir cap and empty the old coolant. Rinse out a couple times with distilled water.

Run some water through while everything is disconnected. Allow to drain. Button everything back up and then fill the coolant system with distilled water. Allow the bike to run for a few minutes. I let it run until the cooling fans turn on. Shut off the bike and let it cool for a few minutes. *Tip: Do not use drinking water because it has minerals added to it for flavor. Use distilled. You can pick some up from your local grocery store.

Drain the water. *CAUTION: Be very careful as the water will be hot.

I refill the system one more time with distilled water and repeat the flush.

After you are satisfied that the system is flushed. Fill the resevoir and place back in original position.

Install drain bolt and tighten hose clamp. Replace drain bolt copper washer if necessary.

Fill with coolant of your choice. Let the bike run, re-check coolant levels and top off. *Tip: If you mix your own coolant, mix it before adding to the coolant system. This way you'll be sure of the mix that's in the system and will have extra fluid in case you need to top off in the future.

Install radiator cap and allow the bike to run. Check for leaks.

Button up your body work and you're done. Be sure to dispose of the old fluids at a proper collection site. I took mine to my local recycling center.

YammiGuy and ggwill like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...if i don't make it home today, god bless. dot cheers

Last edited by r3x1mu5; 09-08-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM
scared of big tracks

Bike: 07 R6, 09 R1
Re: How To: Coolant Flush w/ Pics

Nice write up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I look outside,I say,****

Bike: Black '08 Yamaha YZF-R6

Haha...this reminds me of those Calvin pissing on (insert company here) stickers.

only It's an R6 doing it.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."

2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 Raven ~ 50th Anniversary Rims ~ OES No Cut Frame Sliders ~ GYTR Swingarm Spools ~ Michelin 2CT Front/Rear ~ Bridgestone Bt-002 3ct Rear ~ Spiegler SS Brake Lines ~ Driven 520 15t ~ AFAM 520 47t ~ D.I.D.520 ERV3 GOLD X-RING Chain ~ Rizoma Universal Oil Filler Locking Cap ~ Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid ~ Puig Clear Double Bubble Race Screen ~ Hotbodies Supersport Race Bodywork ~ Dzus D-Ring Fastener Kit ~ Dainese Laguna Seca Perf 1 Piece ~ Dainese Axial Race Carbon ~ AGV GP-Tech Dreamtime Valentino Rossi Replica

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I'd Flip it :popcorn:

Bike: 07 R6 09 R1 KTM EXC330

Do you have one for My bike

Nice Write up man!!

Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors
Pirelli - Good Grip Racing - Velocity Calibrations - Imo's Pizza
MCRA Expert GT #32
Follow me at
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
B4B

Bike: my bitch

very nice write up Rex. You guys are doing a great job with all these write-ups lately....

RIP Jason

R.I.P David

R.I.P Josh
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
zomething different

Bike: 07 R6s

Thanks guys

...if i don't make it home today, god bless. dot cheers
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
R6 Junkie

Bike: 2007 R6

mmmmmm........muffins
nice write up.

post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Yutter Ugghher

Bike: 08 Carbon R6 (SOLD) 09 R1

good job man! im gonna be doing this on the weekend. this thread just inspired me to get off my fat ass and do it! nice write dude!

post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:07 AM
kin
Batman wants my bike...

Bike: 06 R6
Send a message via AIM to kin

is the R6r pretty much the same as the R6s in terms of how to do the coolant flush?

Mods: Full MJS Performance System, Agg Racing Smog Block off plates, Graves no-cut frame sliders, T-Rex Racing spools, Greggs flushmounts, CA integrated tail light, DDM Tuning 8000k HID kit, custom fender eliminator, DB Puig black screen, Michelin Pilot Power tires, etc.

Last edited by kin; 04-16-2010 at 03:32 AM.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 AM
is trying to find BP!!

Bike: 03 R6 stunted

nice ill be sure to use this soon!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in