How To: R6 Graves Quick Action Throttle Install - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By R6trackrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2008 YZF R6
How To: R6 Graves Quick Action Throttle Install

Graves Quick Action Throttle R6 Install..how to guide.

Hey There,
I just installed the Graves quick action throttle today and with no how-to guides available, i thought i would post up what i did.

I also changed my throttle cables over with a brand new OEM to make the feel and response of the throttle like new!

Here are the steps:

1- remove handle bar end.

2- using an air gun, blow air in between your throttle and grip to remove your grip easily.

3- Now you can remove the allen bolts on the throttle housing and remove the top and bottom housing. Remove both push and pull throttle cables and then remove your throttle from the bar.

4- Inside the top throttle housing are two throttle stops. Carefully grind these off with a Dremel. Be sure not to grind too far into the alloy as it is thin. I used a dremel with a fine grinding head for this and put the housing in a bench vice to hold it absolutely still. Run some fine sand-paper over the surface when your done just to be sure.

5- Mount the Graves throttle inside the top and bottom housing and clamp together and rotate the throttle to ensure that it rotates freely. If it doesn't, chances are it is catching on the throttle stops, so you must ensure you grind these completely away..

6- Use a good quality Silicone Lubricant to lube your handle bar where the throttle mounts and mount the Graves throttle. Connect the bottom cable to the Graves throttle first and the bottom housing, matching the pin on the housing with the hole in the bar for correct alignment.

7- loosen the top throttle cable adjuster nut with two 8mm spanners, by turning the nut clockwise. Remember approx how many turns you loosen the nut so you can get a ball park adjustment when you refit the top cable.

8- Connect the top cable to the Graves throttle and close the top housing onto the bottom housing, making sure that the cable guides BOTH line up inside their respective ends of the throttle housings.

9- Refit the allen bolts and do them up finger tight for now.

10- Double check your cabling making sure that both cables follow a natural path to the throttle and the rubber dust cover can now be re-mounted over the top and bottom throttle housings.

11- Check the throttle for correct operation. Full throttle is about a 1/4 turn and it should snap back fast if everything is aligned and if the throttle tube is lubed well on the handle bar.

12- Re-tighten the throttle adjuster nut by turning it anti-clockwise. Start with the same amount of turns and check for free-play. There should be around 3mm of play either side of the throttle at idle. Play with the adjuster nut until it feels right.

13- refit the handlebar end.

14- Your done.

I love this progressive throttle. A lot of people on the R6 forum complained about the price, etc...
The face is that this is a very well designed, great quality part. The bike is super responsive especially in the low - mid range and the top end comes on very strong and quick when you get into the higher revs.
An awesome improvement over stock!!!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
re: How To: R6 Graves Quick Action Throttle Install

Pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -NGK- -EBC- -
-
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Sherman Connoisseur

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yea pics would be real helpful

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2008 YZF R6

I do apologise, didn't take any pics of the install, don't think you need them though, it was a 20min job!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 02:28 AM
My R6 eats me.

For pics try this link -

Just fitted mine after having it sitting on the bench for 12 months and am wrapped. The initial take up feels a bit strange as the Graves tube softens the initial response. From that point it comes on really strong and the bike feels quicker as a result. You can feel the change in the ramp on the throttle cam and it took a bit of getting used too but now I love it. Far better way to smooth the throttle response without resorting to a power commander. Cheaper too. Its quarter turn. Well worth the $$$.

Last edited by Lab-ratt; 06-11-2013 at 01:52 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Resurrection of this thread.

I have just ground off the tabs on my throttle housing. It looks like they are there to stop the outer cables being pulled under the throttle cam and sticking the throttle open. Which is probably why Graves doesn't issue instructions with the install. I haven't put it all back together yet, but I may try a cable holder on the outside to be sure they can't pull in as small a chance as it is. I say this because it could be catastrophic at the end of the straight to find the cables jammed in the throttle.....
brian_j likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:43 PM
My R6 eats me.

Re: How To: R6 Graves Quick Action Throttle Install

Got a euro racing quick action throttle if anybody is interested.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
Why do i have to cut the tabs?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 05:10 AM

Re: How To: R6 Graves Quick Action Throttle Install

Because the cam is bigger and can snag with the stops there.

I rode this throttle on my track bike yesterday and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. It does what it is meant to do getting to the stop without re gripping. But it makes it REALLY smooth coming back on the throttle too. I now have the best of both worlds a throttle that I don't need to re grip and a super smooth transition back on the throttle.

It is the single best bang for buck mod I have done to my track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in