How to bypass kickstand switch, clutch switch, and keyless ignition cleanly! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
WERA Racer

Location: In between Barber and Lil Tally...don't get any better than that!!!
How to bypass kickstand switch, clutch switch, and keyless ignition cleanly!

Ok, I have a couple of pics of the way I bypassed these so that all I have to do is flip a switch and hit the start button in order to start my bike...My bike is ONLY going to be a race bike so I don't really care if I cut wires beings they won't ever go back on it anyway. These are very basic how to's with the assumption that you have a little bit of mechanical skills.

First, Here is the clutch switch the is mounted to the left clipon...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is held on with one screw, unscrew the switch...take the two connectors off the switch. Now look for this plug that is on the left side of the frame on the top that goes to the left clipon...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holding the plug the way it is in the pic, the whole top row will have connector pins...Take the two pins, the second and fourth ones, out of the plug. Cut the pins off the wire and pull these wires thru the harness.

Now connect the plug back in. That now completes the Clutch Bypass

The Kickstand Bypass is the easiest...find this connector under the seat and right next to the battery.

All you have to do is unplug it, cut the wires, twist them together, solder, and cover with heat shrink or just cut a piece of the wire covering that is already there. Now just go down to the kickstand and remove the kickstand and pull the wire that is routed up to the plug that you cut.

Finally, my keyless switch...
First, you need to decide where you are going to mount the switch. I decided I will mount mine under the left clipon where the panel that gives you access to the left wire harness is. Cut the wires going to the ignition switch and go to the plug on the left side of the frame.

Pull these wires to this location. The orange wire is just split off the red wire, so I pulled the wire cover back till I found the split and cut the wire there. You do NOT need the orange wire. I cut the brown wire to match this length. I then connected these two wires to my switch and added a ground wire that goes to the frame for the LED.

That takes care of the two thick wires. Now on to the two small wires, just cut the wires, twist together, solder, and cover with the provided wire cover. I then just taped these to the two thick wires to make it cleaner.
This is what the end result looks like

Once I get the body mounted I will drill a hole for the switch to mount to.
Benjammin76 and Mogar like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2012 Yamaha Blue R6
Re: How to bypass kickstand switch, clutch switch, and keyless ignition cleanly!

Good write up.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
WERA Racer

Re: How to bypass kickstand switch, clutch switch, and keyless ignition cleanly!

I also plan to grind the ignition swtch circle off the upper triple to clean that up as well

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 06 R6

Awesome step by step. My question how can i use the oem start/kill switch thats mounted on the throttle clipon

Thanks
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I eat my R6

^you don't want to do that in case you ever need to diag your bike. a separate acc on/off switch is important.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
WERA Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
^you don't want to do that in case you ever need to diag your bike. a separate acc on/off switch is important.
True!!! You definately don't wanna wire it there...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:

Hello Nate,

I read what you wrote, but I am kinda confused.

My thinking is if I were to use the Engine Stop/Engine Run "Red Switch" how would that keep me from running a diagnosis and be able to run one with a remote switch as in this write up?

If the Engine Stop switch is toggled to the off position everything is off no power. When you toggle the switch to Engine Run the fuel pumps starts and the dash comes on just as if you turned the ignition with the key and you then press the start button and you should be good to go.

As far as the diag mode goes can't I have the Engine switch toggled to off hold down the select/reset buttons toggle the switch to engine run for recommend time 10sec. won't the diag mode display on the dash.

Thanks,
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 AM
I eat my R6

diag mode will still come up, but you use the engine kill switch to activate or trigger certain functions within diag mode to test. if you hook everything into the engine kill, you lose this ability.

Nathan - #425 - 07 Yamaha R6
35 Motorsports, Vortex Racing, Pit Posse Motorsports, Spy Optics, Suomy Helmets, 614 Paintworx, Optimal Racing, GP Tech
Nationwide Children's Hospital/Ohio Motorcyclists for Children
The Retrofit Source
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
diag mode will still come up, but you use the engine kill switch to activate or trigger certain functions within diag mode to test. if you hook everything into the engine kill, you lose this ability.
Nate thanks for clarifying for me. No i know what u mean. Like #62 I wouldnt b able ti reset fault history and a few other diags without power. Thanks
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
I eat my R6

Nate out of courisity have u wired up the euro turn signal pod with passing trigger and emergency flasher button? If so was it easy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in