Easy DIY EXUP Removal 06+ R6 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Easy DIY EXUP Removal 06+ R6

Hey all....

So I know there are numerous threads pertaining to this specific topic, and few great quality posts to the information I am about to reference from members on this forum and else where on the web. I take no credit whatsoever for this mod, as Endleesss has created a cheap DIY bypass for the EXUP servo to eliminate the ECU warning code #17 & #18 (rather than purchasing a graves EXUP eliminator), and HotwiRe for some basic how-to pictures on this process. The original thread about this can be found
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

However, in process of doing this I came across a lot of misleading and conflicting information. With that being said the purpose of this thread is to easily sum up how to completely remove and bypass the EXUP system on 2006+ Yamaha R6's.

Do-It-Yourself EXUP Removal, 2006+ Yamaha R6

Brief Description: This guide will cover how to remove the EXUP cables from the EXUP butterfly valve on a STOCK 07' exhaust, and how to create a bypass for the EXUP servo in the EXUP control box to eliminate the check engine light and diagnostic codes #17 & #18 from appearing. The entire process from start to finish will take approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour. (Note: This same process can be used with aftermarket exhausts and slip-on's to eliminate the same check engine light and error codes). This is the $2 EXUP fix DIY rather than paying $70 for the Graves EXUP eliminator, both work and both are essentially the same thing.

What You'll Need
  1. 8mm or 10 mm Crescent Wrench
  2. Phillips Head Screwdriver
  3. Wire Cutters
  4. Alan Wrench (s)
  5. Adjustable Crescent Wrench
  6. 4.7 kOhm Resistor 1/2 Watt
  7. 470uF 35v Capacitor
  8. Soldering Iron (w/ Solder & Flux)
  9. Electrical Tape
The resistor, capacitor and solder can be purchased at your local Radio Shack and any tools needed your local hardware store for under $20.00.

Step 1

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Remove the EXUP Butterfly Valve Cover from the Exhaust by removing bolts #1, #2, and #3. This will give you access to the EXUP cables so they can be removed (as shown below).

Above is a close up of the nuts holding the EXUP cables in place to the butterfly valve. Remove nuts #1 & #2 first so that you can remove EXUP cable #2, and then remove nuts #3 & #4 so that you can remove EXUP cable #1.

Before the cables can be completely removed, you must also remove a small bracket holding the cables in place. To do this remove screw #1 with a crescent wrench (Yes this picture is without the EXUP butterfly valve cover removed, I forgot to take the picture during the process and did so after I completed the bypass)

Now that the EXUP cables have been removed from the bike, you must remove the EXUP control box (Housing the EXUP servo and motor).

To do this remove bolts #1 & #2 using an 8mm crescent wrench (or 10mm for 2010+ models). After these bolts have been removed, along with the previous process for the EXUP cables the whole assembly (EXUP Control Box and Cables) should be easily removed by pulling out the rightside of the bike. You will have to remove the EXUP control wires from the EXUP servo connection before doing this (Picture shown below)

It should look something like this

Step 2

After completely removing the EXUP Control Box and EXUP Cables from the bike you are ready to rewire the servo using the 4.7 kOhm 1/2 Capacitor and 470uF 35v Capacitor. Set up your soldering iron so it can heat up and complete the following directions.

First remove the rubber cover around the EXUP Control Box

Once the rubber cover has been removed it should look like the above picture. Next remove the EXUP cables from the EXUP control box. Now we must remove bolt #7. To do this use an adjustable wrench at #8 to hold the bolt in place, and use an alan wrench to remove bolt #7. After this has been completed use a phillips head screwdriver to remove screws #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6. After removing the above bolt and screws the top cover of the EXUP control box should be easily removable.

After removing the cover from the EXUP control box the internal components should look something like this. Remove the plug, motor, gears and pull all o the components out of the housing.

Next, cut all of the wires as shown above. Don't worry too much about the green and red wires as they will not be used for anything, but do make sure you have enough orange, black and white wire to strip the ends of them. You can discard the motor and gear control.

Now we will rewire the servo to trick the ECU into thinking the EXUP is still connected, but effectively removing the check engine light and #17 & #18 warning codes. To do this strip the ends of the black, white and orange wires. After this has been done solder the black and white wires together. Also, I recommend taping off the green and red wires with electrical tape to prevent any arching.

Now solder the 4.7 kOhm 1/2 watt resistor to the black and white wires as shown. Be sure to connect the correct end (shown by a gold strip on the side of the resistor that is connected to the black/white wires). After doing this, solder the 470uF 35v capacitor to the orange wire as shown (The black strip on the capacitor with the negative sign, denotes "negative" - be sure to solder this side to the orange wire). And finally solder the positive side of the capacitor to the correct end of the resistor (shown by a yellow strip on the side of the resistor that is connected to the capacitor). Once you are done it should look like the above picture.

A wiring diagram, created by Endleesss (along with this entire bypass) can be found at the link in the intro or referenced in the picture below. (AGAIN ALL CREDIT GOES TO Endleesss - AS HE IS THE SOLE CREATOR OF THIS BYPASS)

Once the bypass has been made I recommend taping off all bare wire with electrical tape to prevent any arching. Not sure if it matters if you cover the resistor or capacitor, but just in case I did not.

After completing the bypass install it back into the housing, making sure to properly insert the EXUP connector back into the plug housing. Also, don't forget to re install the white plug that holds the EXUP connector in place. Once this has been completed, refer to the above steps to re install the EXUP control box cover and rubber cover. Plug the EXUP wire on the back of the bike back into the EXUP Control box (EXUP Servo Connections) and reinstall it back on the bike. Also, if you havn't already remember to re install the EXUP butterfly valve cover that was taken off at the beginning of step one.

Hope this works well for you and answers any doubt or question you may have had for this process. I have done this to my bike, still with the stock exhaust and no problems since the install.

Thanks again Endleesss and HotwiRe for the information, and to all that have read this. Feel free to post any additional information you think may be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1 (A).JPG
Views:	1396
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	85284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1 (B).jpg
Views:	1644
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	85285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1 (C).jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	85286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1 (D).jpg
Views:	1498
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	85287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1 (E).jpg
Views:	1330
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	85288  

Name:	Step 1 (F).jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	85289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 2 (A).jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	85290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 2 (B).jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	85291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 2 (C).jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	85292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 2 (D).jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	85293  

Name:	Step 2 (E).jpg
Views:	1219
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	85294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 2 (F).jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	85295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 2 (G).jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	85296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Servo Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	2403
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	85358  
gustavo and YammiGuy like this.

Last edited by afterm4th; 10-14-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed
Re: Easy DIY EXUP Removal 06+ R6

Nice. There's another thread for this, but it's very cluttered. I'm glad we've got one that's clean and definitive. You should attach the pics to the post at the bottom, so if you move the pics in photobucket, this thread doesn't die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Great idea, thanks....

Just attached them.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM
FairladyZ33

Bike: 2006 50th R6

Nice write up.

But 1 thing.

Why would you re-install your modified plug back into that HUGE housing. When you could just take the cables off and not have to do anything. Seems like putting the new modified plug into a relay housing would be a wiser choice.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labelworkshop75 View Post
Nice write up.

But 1 thing.

Why would you re-install your modified plug back into that HUGE housing. When you could just take the cables off and not have to do anything. Seems like putting the new modified plug into a relay housing would be a wiser choice.
Personally, when I soldered everything back together, I just wrapped it all in a shitload of electrical tape and stuffed it up under the tank.. and forgot about it forever.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM
NYC

Bike: 08 r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
Personally, when I soldered everything back together, I just wrapped it all in a shitload of electrical tape and stuffed it up under the tank.. and forgot about it forever.
^This for a cleaner look
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know I can get rid of the box alltogether and also save some weight, but this was simpler for me to do and I don't mind the look on the back of my bike. Honestly never even noticed it was there until I decided to do this DIY. Maybe in the future though I will make another thread on this..
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Very nice!

My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Dirt track racing!

Bike: 2008 YZF R6 LE

Very good post! Subbed for later!
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 PM
A work in progress...

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Nice!

RIP Matt (Ghost R6). You will be greatly missed. Be smooth and the rubber turning till we meet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
"I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at deaths door".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
There is more to squidliness than just your gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in