DIY: 2006+ R6 Waterpump rebuild - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: '06 R6 50th, '04 WR450f
DIY: 2006+ R6 Waterpump rebuild

Here's my contribution to the R6-Forums...

Let me present to you:

Do It Yourself instructions on how to rebuild a 2006 Yamaha R6V water pump. I'm sure these instructions could be used to rebuild most R1, R6S, FZ07, FZ09 bikes. Sure, you could go and buy a new water pump at the dealer.. but to rebuild yours is a LOT cheaper, it just takes a little time. Unfortunately these instructions aren't documented anywhere.. So I figured I'd take on the task for you guys. Enjoy
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------------------

Disclaimer
I will start with I am not a licensed or certified motorcycle mechanic. My background consists of 13 years experience overhauling General Electric F404 turbine engines found in CF-18 Fighters.

Use these instructions at your own risk. I am not liable for damages you caused to your bike. I will try to explain any steps to the best of my ability, however at the end of the day, it's up to you to interpret the information and act accordingly.

------------------------------------

Tools I used for the overhaul;

7/8" x 1/2 Dr socket
9/16 x 1/2 Dr socket
32mm x 1/2 Dr socket
19mm x 3/8 Dr socket
8mm x 1/4 Dr socket
Inside snap ring pliers
Ultra Fine steel wool
5 lb sledge hammer
9/16 Pin Punch
Heat gun
Large Common Screwdriver (flat head)
2x4 block of wood
99% Isopropyl Alcohol USP in spray bottle
Fresh Engine oil
Vinyl/Nitrile Gloves
Some Ice (or if you live in Canada.. outdoors works or your freezer)

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Parts required for MY APPLICATION, check with your local dealer to find your own parts.

Bearing - 93306-00004-00
O-ring - 93210-33133-00
Oil Seal - 93101-10090-00
Impeller Shaft - 2C0-12450-00-00
Mech Seal - 2C0-12438-00-00
Gasket - 2C0-12428-01-00

-------------------------------------------

Some people like cross sectional views to understand what they're looking at (I'm that way). So here you go, I made one for you because nothing was available.

------------------------------------------

Now, on with the Disassembly:

1. First, remove your water pump from the bike. Those instructions are documented in downloadable service manual. Now that you've got the pump on a bench, it's time to remove the top cover to expose impeller of the pump. Remove the two left over 8mm bolts

2. With the cover removed, use the ultra fine steel wool to remove any remnants of the gasket... it removes and polishes the surfaces beautifully

3. Flip the inner housing over and remove the snap ring from the bearing side of the assembly. Use the inside snap ring pliers.
CAUTION: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE SNAP RING. YOU WILL BE RE-USING IT.

4. Pull the Impeller shaft out of the housing going outwards. The Impeller is garbage, the Snap ring is RE-USED. Put it in a safe place.

5. Bearing removal. Using the punch, tap the bearing out of the housing. Work in a cross pattern similar to how you install tires on a car.. Do not allow the bearing to become canted or slanted, otherwise it'll jam (next picture below shows where the bearing was). I found using a large 32mm socket to provide a place for the bearing to fall into worked well.

6. Oil Seal removal. Flip the housing over, and using a flat tip screwdriver gently pry the oil seal out of the assembly. Place a rag under the shaft of the screwdriver to prevent damage to the housing. The oil seal with bend and flex, but it'll come out. BE VERY CAUTIOUS that you do no damage the housing with the blade of the screwdriver. If you do, it's GAME OVER if you can't polish it out.

7. Using the heat gun, warm the assembly up to soften the locktite glue holding the Mechanical Seal in place. CAUTION HOT

8. Mechanical Seal removal. Using the 9/16 socket (or whatever fits the hole where the oil seal was the best), tap the mechanical seal outwards. Make sure the housing is on a clean piece of wood so you do not damage the sealing surface you polished earlier in step 2. The seal requires a fair bit of force to remove.. You've really gotta give it a good couple whacks.

9. Once you're done that, use the steel wool and clean any of the blue locktite off the inside bore where the seal was, or polish out any marks you may have made. Also clean out the weep holes (there's 2) shown here:

------------------------------------

Assembly

1. WEARING CLEAN GLOVES start with the Oil seal. Working from the bearing side (inboard) push the seal into its spot by hand. Note the direction of the little spring. Refer to the cross section drawing above. I used the 19mm socket and pushed it into place. Be cautious you don't cover the weep holes pictured here.

2. WEARING CLEAN GLOVES install the bearing. Use either the old bearing or a suitable size socket as a punch to install the new bearing into place. Again, do this in a criss cross pattern, making sure it doesn't tilt. You'll hear the sound of the hammer hit change pitch when the bearing has seated.

3. WEARING CLEAN GLOVES, grab the new Impeller, and the black and white washer that came in the Mechanical Seal bag. Notice there's a "mostly white" and a "mostly black" side. Install the washer into the recess in the Impeller so it looks like the one installed (NOT THE ONE I'M HOLDING). The mostly White side faces away from the Impeller. DO NOT TOUCH THE WHITE TEFLON WITH YOUR BARE FINGERS, you will ruin the coating and make the water pump leak.

4. Put the other part of the mechanical seal into a cold place. You want to freeze it. Once it's frozen you're ready for step 5.

5. Heat the assembly again, you want it to be warm to the touch but not hot enough to melt the oil seal.

6. WEARING CLEAN GLOVES and using a clean 12 point 7/8 socket, tap frozen mechanical seal into the housing. DO NOT TOUCH THE BLACK PART OF THE SEAL WITH YOUR BARE HANDS.

7. Apply a light dab of fresh engine oil to the Impeller shaft (just enough to lube it as it passes the oil seal), and insert it carefully into the housing. Be very cautious with the oil seal and do not force it. Also add a little oil to the bearing and replace the outer Oring.

8. Install the snap ring into the groove on the Impeller shaft.

That's it, now go put it in. Yes the cover is still off.. that's so it makes it easier to align the Impeller Shaft with the drive gear inside the motor.

Congrats, you just saved yourself over $100 CDN. Ok I'm tired, I'll re-read and clarify things tomorrow.

Last edited by Zibbit U2; 02-10-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:21 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 R6
Re: DIY: 2006+ R6 Waterpump rebuild

this is awesome! great write up! how often should you be doing this? didn't see anything in the periodic maintenance chart

06 R6: BAUCE Racing ECU Flash, Integrated tail light, Flush mount turn signals, Renthal clip-on's, MGP Growler, mjs mid-pipe, 520 conversion, Carbon tank sides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bighitguy; 02-11-2015 at 05:25 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: '06 R6 50th, '04 WR450f

only if it's weeping. This is corrective maintenance, not preventative maintenance

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:14 PM
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibbit U2 View Post
only if it's weeping. This is corrective maintenance, not preventative maintenance
just rebuilt the pump and its leaking out of the weep holes. everything went awesome, i don't understand how it'll be leaking with everything new. didn't touch the Teflon, wore a new pair of gloves for installing each part. the black/white washer do you press that in?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:26 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2006 r6

If it's still leaking you have to have tore a seal because that's the only reason water will come out of the weep hole.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM
My R6 eats me.

I wanna bring this thread back to life because i dont want to buy a used pump that may or may not work. i aso dont want to spend $100+ on a new one when i can spend maybe $20 fixing the one i have now. i tried following your guide and i have the entire pump disassembled. i slightly nicked the inside of the pump trying to press out the bearing with a flat head (i know im a dumbass okay), but im wondering if i can just smooth it down. also, i cant view your pictures for the walk through could you possibly reupload them? or, is there another guide anyone knows about?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:47 PM
My R6 eats me.

heres a picture of the carnage my dumbass managed to create.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r6 water pump 5.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	344753  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 12:52 PM
My R6 eats me.

Awesome!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:45 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

ray charles approves your pictures.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:14 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: SuperSport

Thank you for this DYI, I'm thinking on rebuilding mine soon. No leaks but the performance is poor.

09 Yamaha FZ6N & 09 Yamaha R6
The track, my place of peace and joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in