3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2005 r6
Garage
USB Charger - STUPID SIMPLE

Stupid simple USB charger? Alright!

I don't know about you guys (because I'm new to the forum) but I freakin LOVE taking road trips on crotch rockets. Like LONG road trips. Call me crazy (most people call me Lenny) but I love long rides on something that handles and has enough power to have fun with. I'm also severely directionally challenged and a GPS on the thing would be really handy... but how to charge it?

So I started poking around all different places looking for just a simple bare bones motorcycle USB charging system that anyone could whip together. I found a few but they didn't really hit the important points I look for in mod-guides such as correct spelling, veracious grammar, and of course readable instructions. So here's what I did and it seems to work fine. And best of all it's clean and easy to delete!

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

WHAT YOU WILL NEED (or what I used):
The bread bringer: ADD-A-CIRCUIT

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I got it from Wally World for a few bucks and basically it replaces a small fuse and has a hot line going off of it- along with a spot for the original fuse AND the fuse you want on the circuit you're adding. Handy! You just have to make your own ground!

I also had some spare wire (for just in case reasons), heat shrink, soldering stuff, an all weather cigarette lighter outlet (Wally World or an auto parts store), a car USB charger, extra fuses, some crimp-able ring connects (used to make the ground), and a red 2005 Yamaha r6.
OH YEAH TOOLS: wire cutters, wire strippers (mine has a crimper built into it but you can use pliers to crimp as well), a lighter (for the heat shrink), 4mm & 5mm Allen Keys, and of course my Leatherman multi tool I bought after my brother gave me a Gerber because Gerber SUCKS. My brother is the bee's knees though.

So let's begin!

With the thing! Grab that Add-A-Circuit and splice it into the hot side of the outlet.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now, you don't HAVE to solder this but it's definitely ideal. If you do decide to solder make sure you have a solid physical connection between the two wires (wind them up tight) BEFORE you solder. This is most important. To solder them together just hold your soldering iron (or gun if you want to be different) on the wires you're splicing and touch them with your solder until the solder melts and bleeds into the wires. BAM. Done. Almost. Now hopefully you put some heat shrink on the leads before you soldered them together, because you're going to want to take that heat shrink and cover up your beautiful soldering job to ensure nothing shorts and to protect it from the elements. Fold your splice flat against one of the leads and cover it up.

Now crimp a ring connect on the end of the GROUND wire from your outlet.

(sorry for the poor quality picture)

The wires on my outlet weren't black and where I mounted my ground IS so I took some heat shrink and covered up the yellow ring connect and some of the wire to make it all match my frame. I'll cover where I mounted the ground in a bit. But you should have something that looks like this:

(here I already inserted the USB charger)

But... where the hell is the fuse box?
It's actually fuse box #2 according to the literature, and it's right under the cowl that's under the left handle bar.

There are TWO 4mm bolts that hold this little piece of plastic on. TAKE THEM OUT. And put them somewhere safe. Please. For the love of all that is holy.

Now you can see the fuse box! Open that baby up and take a gander at the fuses. Don't have your manual handy? Tisk tisk. Don't worry I'll break it down for you.

The backup fuse is NOT a spare. It's for the ODO.

I'm using the headlight fuse because it will only energize my circuit after I've started the bike. I've considered putting a toggle switch inline with the outlet, but I don't think it's all that necessary. That's your call.
So take out the headlight fuse, plug in the Add-A-Circuit, put that fuse back along with another fuse in the slots available on the Add-A-Circuit (I used the original headlight 20AMP fuse along with the spare 20AMP fuse to test the system but you'll obviously want to use the correct fuse for your desired circuit and make sure to replenish your spare fuse slots if they're empty!)

Now for the ground! I put mine under one off the 5mm Allen bolts that hold the front clip for the fuel tank. See why I made it all black?

All together now!

So that's pretty much it. You should have a functioning USB charger for all of your fancy accessories. I'll post later on where/how I mount it if anyone is interested. I have been riding bikes for a while, and though I am not a motorcycle expert I am very handy with this sort of thing... so please feel free to ask me questions! And DEFINITELY let me know if you want to (or actually do) give this tutorial a shot.

And I'm new so introduce yourself and don't be a butt

CONSIDERATIONS:
- The polarity wasn't very clear on the outlet I purchased. Caught my first USB charger on fire. Didn't hurt the bike or the headlight fuse though!
- Weather proofing! Where will you put yours? I'm thinking as long at the outlet is facing DOWN then it'll probably be pretty weather proof if you put it out of the way.
- I would consider making your mount easy to access. When I take road trips I always carry a tire repair kit along with a small tire pump, and an outlet will come in handy in emergencies!
- You could also do the SAME thing by just wiring an outlet inline with our battery. As long as you have an inline fuse and a toggle switch.
- If you decide to mount your outlet under that cowl that covers the fuse box, I'm pretty sure they make quick release fairing fasteners... for easy access... just in case?
Raziel41 and Crunchy like this.

2005 r6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: USB Charger - STUPID SIMPLE

Dude that's so sick! I didn't even know they made something like the Add-A-Circuit! This makes it so much easier. I was trying to figure out how to install mine, and was going to try to find and tap in to the ACC wire.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Tang View Post
Dude that's so sick! I didn't even know they made something like the Add-A-Circuit! This makes it so much easier. I was trying to figure out how to install mine, and was going to try to find and tap in to the ACC wire.
People sell these things that you can use to splice into any wire without having to cut or solder or anything. I forget what they're called. But you can also just tap your battery!

EDIT//
This thing!
<<That's a link.

2005 r6

Last edited by sgtlenny05r6; 05-13-2016 at 04:19 AM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm a generalist

Bike: Black Bitch

Excellent write up! I did something similar but I was too lazy to document it. You Da Man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
^^^^Signature courtesy of the great one Twizzy.....featuring my beautiful wife
"Beautiful Wife, Great kids, beautiful home, fast bike, fast car........... now that I think about it....."I'm rich Bi%@#"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Calling me a woman after complaining that the r6 seat is too hard for your swollen pussy lips? You are using female logic.... This leads me to believe that you are, in fact, female. The next logical progression from this is tits or GTFO. If, in fact, you are genetically male, proceed to GTFO. Thanks.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Clever, never thought to use the fuse as the means of taping into a circuit. Might have to finally do this to my bike, tired of having a battery charger in my pocket and running a cable from my jacket to my phone in the Ram Mount.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:08 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

there are plenty of hidden areas for a ground. that's....well how do I say it being nice...a horrible place and screams HACK JOB.

see the screw below for the radiator? put it there.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06r6'n View Post
Excellent write up! I did something similar but I was too lazy to document it. You Da Man!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
Clever, never thought to use the fuse as the means of taping into a circuit. Might have to finally do this to my bike, tired of having a battery charger in my pocket and running a cable from my jacket to my phone in the Ram Mount.
Thanks! What setup did you use with your Ram Mount? That's my next step for sure, but I haven't made up my mind on how I want to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
there are plenty of hidden areas for a ground. that's....well how do I say it being nice...a horrible place and screams HACK JOB.

see the screw below for the radiator? put it there.
I was really going for easy access and easy removal. And I'm not all that concerned with the way it looks, my bike is clean as hell anyway haha

2005 r6
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:56 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
I used the stem mount, works great.
Raziel41 likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:53 PM
My R6 eats me.

Now are they mini or micro fuses to i can buy the right one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
I used the stem mount, works great.
I just bought and installed that RAM mount and used the stem mount and it works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_gerk View Post
Now are they mini or micro fuses to i can
buy the right one
Mini! According to the label on the fuses I bought after looking at my fuse box for reference.

2005 r6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in