DIY - Replacing Seat Nut Inserts - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By OhioYJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

DIY - Replacing Seat Nut Inserts

For quite a while now I've had one of the inserts for my seat bolt spinning in the rear sub frame. This is actually a pretty easy fix, however there is very little information out there on it so I decided to do a quick write up on it. In particular because most of the information I came across just automatically recommend people take this in to a shop.

First step is removing the upper half of the rear body work.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You will have access to the bottom of the insert on both sides.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As for removing it, you have a few options. In perfect world you would drill mostly through it, but without harming any of the subframe. If it still has some grip sometimes you can use some superglue to get it to attach to help drill it. Remember though you CAN NOT enlarge this hole. However it's highly likely that won't work at all, and you will be stuck carefully grinding it. I used a dremel and carefully ground through the head untill only a thin part of it was left. You don't need to remove all of it. See below:

Then using a punch in the center, as we don't care about the threads of this insert give it a good smack. Remember the subframe isn't steel, if it's not moving, stop. Remove more material. Don't go swinging at it with a sledge.

I drove it through without much trouble, with a regular hammer.

Old insert, next to a new stainless insert. The inserts are M6x1.0 that I'm using for my 2007 R6. I picked up 40 of these inserts for $12, you can get less for cheaper obviously.

It is generally recommended to use an installation tool when installing these inserts (Nutserts). I'm using SmittyBilt's kit, which set me back $42. There are ways to install these without the tool, if you are going to try this without the tool, try it first off the bike in a piece of scrap, and use high quality bolts. You can find plenty of YouTube videos on this tool-less method.

As for the tool, thread the insert on the end, place it in the hole, squeeze the handles. It's not like a rivet tool, you don't keep opening and closing the handles, just pull the handles pretty good, and stop. If you try and channel your inner hulk you are just going to break something.

Should look good as new:

If you are like me and slipped up while grinding, a little touch up paint makes it good as new again.

07 R6, MJS Header, GYTR slip on, smog block offs, K&N, flashed ECU, PCV, AutoTune, -1/+2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:13 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: DIY - Replacing Seat Nut Inserts

but it's silver. deal breaker
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
but it's silver. deal breaker

Haha, you can order whatever type of Nutsert you want. I just happen to have a stainless steel fetish. Typical if a bolt comes out and it's not structural, it will be replaced with stainless. I am in Ohio after all where roads are salted and such after all (not that the bikes see that).

If you look closely in one of those pictures you'll see I replaced a missing bolt with a stainless one, as guess what I keep on hand?

07 R6, MJS Header, GYTR slip on, smog block offs, K&N, flashed ECU, PCV, AutoTune, -1/+2.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 AM
My R6 eats me.

Nice write-up with pics.

Wouldn't an easier, but less ideal solution be just to use a longer bolt and put a locking nut at the end?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrsmurf View Post
Nice write-up with pics.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrsmurf View Post
Wouldn't an easier, but less ideal solution be just to use a longer bolt and put a locking nut at the end?

No, you can't do that as all the body work would need to be removed to get to that nut. You can't remove the bodywork to get to that nut until that bolt is removed (as the seat needs to be removed first). This insert is necessary unfortunately.
yamahacrazy likes this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:52 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ View Post
Haha, you can order whatever type of Nutsert you want. I just happen to have a stainless steel fetish. Typical if a bolt comes out and it's not structural, it will be replaced with stainless. I am in Ohio after all where roads are salted and such after all (not that the bikes see that).

If you look closely in one of those pictures you'll see I replaced a missing bolt with a stainless one, as guess what I keep on hand?
I know you from ohioriders and assfaultjunkies and maybe even localriders lol. I'm in Cincinnati

Quote:
Thanks.

No, you can't do that as all the body work would need to be removed to get to that nut. You can't remove the bodywork to get to that nut until that bolt is removed (as the seat needs to be removed first). This insert is necessary unfortunately.
yes, proper fix. no half assing shit!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:14 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Quote:
...............(not that the bikes see that).................
Mine does. Regardless, just being in a rain is enough to bring out the ugly side of any replacement fasteners. You have the right idea.

BTW, very little torque is required with those seat nuts. But it is
too easy to misthread those bolts... and that's where I suspect many owners get into trouble.

One thing I do to help avoid misthreading stuff, (aside from starting it by hand,) is to turn counter-clockwise until I feel the bolt/nut drop, at which point I then turn clockwise.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 AM
My R6 eats me.

very helpfull thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 PM
My R6 eats me.

thank you as mine need to be replaced
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 03:02 PM
My R6 eats me.

Nice writeup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in