Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Keyless ignition mod for track bike

150K views 154 replies 81 participants last post by  R6trackrider 
#1 ·
Hey,

Does anyone know of a kit harness to bypass the key? I'm wanting to just run a toggle switch for startup and would like to know if there is a simple mod for bypassing the key on my 2006 R6

Thanks!

#2 ·
yeah you can get the race wiring harness that has just the essentials

#4 ·
you 'should' be able to get a YEC race harness from the dealership. thats where we got ours for last years race bike. if they cant get one, they should be able to point you in the right direction

#6 ·
i thought the ignition switch was coded (prevent hotwiring)

#9 ·
I just did this on my 07 track bike conversion so here's a real answer. There is no code or resistance value. You're going to need a double Pole toggle switch since there are 4 wire and they need to be connected in pairs to turn on the bike. Big wire with big wire, small with small. Don't let the bigs contact the small and vise versa. I don't know if this would do anything bad but its not worth risking.

The resistor value is done on gsxr where its pretty easy to remove the ignition key switch (with fork locking). My last track bike was a 05 750 and it needed a 100 ohlms on the wire to the ECU.

It seems yamaha just made it impossible to remove the bolts for the ignition switch so they didn't do anything for electronics.

If you need a diagram or switch recommendation pm me and I could help you out.

#10 ·
So do you still lock your bike? Or do you just cut the wires going to the ignition key switch so that it no longer requires you to put a key it in? Basically what im asking is, how do you keep people from just walking up to your bike and hitting the switch, then jumping on and riding off?

#14 ·
the key switch assembly is attached to the top triple tree so you can remove that as an assembly. Unplug the key switch from the harness and put the whole works into a vise or something secure to hold it (a trusting friend perhaps) use a center punch and mark the center of the 'bolt' holding the key switch in place. starting with a small drill , drill into the bolt and keep using bigger drills until the head of the 'bolt' pops off. With both heads removed, the key switch assembly will separate from the triple tree. Grab onto the remainder of the bolts that are still in the triple tree with a vise grip and thread them out.

Removing the key switch assembly isn't the hardest thing in the world to do, just kind of a pain in the a** because its so time consuming. The past couple weeks all I've been doing at work is replacing Yamaha key switches and this is the fastest way so far. Hope this helps:cheers

Reactions: Darren Wright
#16 ·
Another reason to go keyless is with crash damage. Ever have a key break off in the ignition. The Suzuki (SV, GSXR) require the use of a 100 ohm resistor to fool the ECU and use a security type bit to remove the ignition bolts.

#17 ·
thats my reason right there.... crash damage and i just wanna see if it will crank.

So big wire to big wire and small wire to small wire. Big wires to one side of a toggle switch and small wires to the other side? Thats it?

#21 ·
well i know my bike cranks now. thanks for all the help

#23 ·
+1.

So both big wires go one side of the toggle switch and both small wires go on one side?

Where you guys buying these toggle switches from?

#24 ·
I want to do this mod too but after removing the signal and light harness and dash i cant get the bike to start. i bypassed the clutch saftey switch...still nothing. I plugged back in the dash and i cant get the neutral light to come on ....:cusswires

#25 ·
i'll try and get some pics when i get home from work.

The two smaller wires go together and the two larger wires go to either side of the toggle switch. I don't think the switch really matters because all it does is complete the circuit.

#31 ·
i promise those pics tonight when i get home from work

#33 ·
yea yea yea

ok here we go, but i just want to let everyone know that i'm not responsible for any f-ed up ignitions, stolen bikes, ect.....

Keyless Ignition for *Track Bike*

1. I attached the first pic just so you know what were working with here. As you can see, my top clamp was crushed pretty good and my ignition is trashed. My key flew out of the ignition or the tow company didn't give it back to me so i had no other choice but to hotwire it.

2. This is an angled picture of the ignition. I cut the wire about 4" from where it comes out of the ignition.

3. The third picture shows all of the wires that are in the main ignition harness that you just cut.

4. There is a red plug under the little cowls on the left side of the tank. I believe the two wires are blue (or one is blue and another is blue with a yellow stripe). These wires should be smaller then the rest. Wire these two together as shown in picture 5. These were the small wires that people were talking about in this thread.

5. Picture 6 shows the larger wires and the plug. There should be one brown and one red.

6. Picture 7 shows my quick wiring job. The brown wire goes to one side of the toggle switch and the red goes to the other.

7. Picture 8 is what you should have when your done.

It really isn't hard to do. If anyone has any questions i'll try to help the best i can.

Attachments

#57 ·
Couple questions because I am converting to Track Only on my 07 R6.

By completing this mod, does the toggle switch function by turning the bike ON and then OFF using the two flip mode?

If so, is it possible to remove the factory kill switch assembly on the throttle side?

Does the factory kill switch assembly still function as intended regardless of the key-less toggle mod?

Thanks.

#35 ·
just looked at my cusins bike and he doesnt have the 2 blue wires you seem to have over in the states, only a brown wire with a red tracer in a clear plug the same as your red one with the 2 blues in it, i can see this is going to be a pain in the arse, still havent told him that i cant get it started yet ha ha, and were at Donnington next week :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.