Simple and Cheap 99-02 R6 LED Gauges. Any color! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
YZF-R you kidding?

Bike: 2002 R6 Abarth Replica
Simple and Cheap 99-02 R6 LED Gauges. Any color!

This was the easiest mod ever for a 1999-2002 R6. It will probably work just as easy for other models. My gauge lights were busted and I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for the replacements. To my surprise you can just throw any 12v LED you want into the housings and they will work great. No switch required. This cost me $6 bucks from Advanced Auto Parts and you can choose any color you wish. Here is how it was done. Enjoy.

The original filament bulbs and their housing.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The $6 dollar LED's from Advanced Auto Parts. I removed the shroud from the harness and bent the LED's contact tabs so they will make contact with the original light housing's contacts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once correctly formed the LED slides right into the original light housing.

Then you just pop the housing back into the circuit board as usual. The LED will only light up if +/- are aligned correctly. If it does not light you can simply pop out the housing and turn it 180 degrees and twist it back in the LED will then light up.

Turn the key lights come on! Just like stock.

Could be a tad brighter but works beautifully for $6 dollars.

Let me know what you guys think. Any questions are welcome.

2002 R6 Valentino Rossi Abarth YZR-M1 Replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom 1/2 Fairings-Custom Valentino Rossi Phillip Island 2007 Graphics-Custom Paint-MIG High Mount Exhaust System #468/500-K&N filters-GPR V1 steering damper-DynoJet Stage 2 jetting-Gafler brake pads-Pirelli Diablo Rosso's-Ano levers-Integrated tail light-Carbon intake covers-Double Bubble screen-Signal mirrors-Custom plate bracket-Heated Grips-Clear flush mount front signals-Vortex gas lid-Dzus Fastners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 02 R6 red/black, 07 R1
Re: Simple and Cheap 99-02 R6 LED Gauges. Any color!

I did this a few years ago, but instead of going thru the trouble of "creating" a bulb to fit, you could just buy the exact bulb thats supposed to go in there but just in LED (its a #74 bulb, or T1.5) and they are only $1.79 each, any color. and they won't leave you with those two "hot spots" you have on your tach between 2-4 and the 14-16.
here a link...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
YZF-R you kidding?

sweet, thanks for the info man. I will have to pick some of those up.

Custom 1/2 Fairings-Custom Valentino Rossi Phillip Island 2007 Graphics-Custom Paint-MIG High Mount Exhaust System #468/500-K&N filters-GPR V1 steering damper-DynoJet Stage 2 jetting-Gafler brake pads-Pirelli Diablo Rosso's-Ano levers-Integrated tail light-Carbon intake covers-Double Bubble screen-Signal mirrors-Custom plate bracket-Heated Grips-Clear flush mount front signals-Vortex gas lid-Dzus Fastners.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 PM
PhotoChopper

Bike: 2007 R6S

Nice mod, I'll have to pop an LED in when I open up my headlights for the Angel eye mod also

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Chi-Towns Finest

Bike: 2005 R6 Metalic Blue
Send a message via AIM to Killians31

i wish it was this simple for 03-05!

2005 Yamaha YZF-R6
Spy LM508 Alarm
Clear Alternative Integrated LED Tail
8K 35Watt HID's
Blue CCFL Angel Eyes
Paint Matched Headlight Housing
Rerouted Daytime Running Lights
Flush Mount Turn Signals
Sprint Steering Stabilizer
Custom R6r Exhaust
Blacked Out Windscreen
Blue Rim Tape
Ram Air Grill
Fender Eliminator
Removed Rear Hugger
Shaved All Stickers
TSR Frame Sliders
TSR Clutch Slider
Rear Spools
Pro Grip Tank Pad
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

If you have the money for it check out this site
Does a great job they look amazing.. Its really not that expensive.

Thats what I say.....BOOTY TRAP!!!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Luke R6

Bike: 2000 R6

Looks kool, How hard is it to take off the speedo casing to get to the bulb tho?

When your knee sliders run out before your petrol, is when you need to stop looking at your bank statements!

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
YZF-R you kidding?

Three screws, super simple. Hardest part is taking the front fairing off to get the gauge pod out, which is also just three screws on the back. Pod just opens up and you can pull the lights.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:57 AM
rockin the '08

Bike: 2008 blue R6
Send a message via AIM to Pharoh Send a message via MSN to Pharoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irillus View Post
Three screws, super simple. Hardest part is taking the front fairing off to get the gauge pod out, which is also just three screws on the back. Pod just opens up and you can pull the lights.

yep. I just changed my lights a few months ago. taking the fairing off to get at the cluster was the biggest pain in the ass for this job. Taking the actual cluster apart and replacing the bulbs was easy.

Respect and Gratitude have no borders

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Luke R6

Bike: 2000 R6

Kool thanks guys, been thinking about changing mine 2 red 4 a while now.

When your knee sliders run out before your petrol, is when you need to stop looking at your bank statements!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in