How safe is it to ride a bike nowadays? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Re: How safe is it to ride a bike nowadays?

Some
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in an anxiety chat room that I'm part of have been telling me about their experiences with bike accidents, and yet they still bike until now. They leave it to fate and faith. But it's true, they practice even more because they believe that 'practice makes perfect.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokamoto View Post
Street riding today as compared to 40 years ago is much more dangerous. I've been riding that long and have seen the changes in driver behavior - everybody is impatient, distracted, not looking for anything else especially us bikers. Even with bike headlamps automatically on cagers still don't see us.

One must be super-defensive almost paranoid that nobody sees us and expect that vehicle is going to pull over or out on you, turn left in front of you even though you make eye contact they're looking right through you. This may sound ridiculous however I feel it's helped me to stay collision & crash free for many years.

Save your canyon carving for track days, you'll be amazed at how racing & track days will slow you down on the street. Ride with your high beam during the day, it will also leave you with low beam should high burn out. Blind spots - don't put yourself in them if possible, move around in the lane, change lanes, pass when safe, just be alert, aware, prepared and by all means wear protective gear!

Ride smart & stay safe🏍😀.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Just over a month ago I watched a harley rider get killed right in front of me because of a driver not paying attention, took his right of way and pretty much hit him head on. I was on my R6 and also happened to be the first person on the scene. Definitely a gnarly scene. It hasn't deterred me from riding one bit. Be overly cautious and be ready for everybody around you to make the absolute worst decision possible.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:49 PM
My R6 eats me.

I think it really depends on how much the rider is committed to their own safety. Your number one weapon is observation, being aware of what is going on around you and planning escape routes.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:57 AM
My R6 eats me.

In my region it's pretty safe. We have many patrol cars, many observe the rules of the road, I have good equipment. We have a small town, everyone knows each other and will always help.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Id bet 99.9% of them never took any training classes or have ridden on a closed course. So yes its tragic that their own ignorance killed them.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I have taught training classes and ride on closed courses regularly.
Someone tries to run me over just about every time I'm on the street.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokamoto View Post
Street riding today as compared to 40 years ago is much more dangerous. I've been riding that long and have seen the changes in driver behavior - everybody is impatient, distracted, not looking for anything else especially us bikers. Even with bike headlamps automatically on cagers still don't see us.

One must be super-defensive almost paranoid that nobody sees us and expect that vehicle is going to pull over or out on you, turn left in front of you even though you make eye contact they're looking right through you. This may sound ridiculous however I feel it's helped me to stay collision & crash free for many years.

Save your canyon carving for track days, you'll be amazed at how racing & track days will slow you down on the street. Ride with your high beam during the day, it will also leave you with low beam should high burn out. Blind spots - don't put yourself in them if possible, move around in the lane, change lanes, pass when safe, just be alert, aware, prepared and by all means wear protective gear!

Ride smart & stay safe🏍😀.
This post is spot on.

Riding today is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR more dangerous than it has ever been on public roads - at least in the US. Drivers are in vehicles that are faster, quieter inside, with far more distractions than they ever had before. Multifunction displays, phones, messenger, text messages, combined with a complete failure to acknowledge the potential danger they might create. And on top of that - there are more drivers, more congestion, more traffic, and higher speed limits. I've been riding street bikes for going on 40 years on public roads. Bought my first brand new "sport bike" (750F) in 1979. To suggest that it isn't more dangerous today is friggin ridiculous.

It's gotten to the point where I haven't ridden on a public road for almost two solid years at this point. Why? Because I spend almost every weekend at the track - either at a race or a track day. There, you have a controlled environment, good asphalt, no cars, run-off, air fence.... I can enjoy actually using the bike way more to its potential than you could possibly do on a public road. And a whole hell of a lot safer. It's not a coincidence that the majority of fast track riders (both track days and racing) reduce or just plain eliminate riding on public roads. I don't care how much safety training, or MSF training you take, or how attentive you are. It's still more dangerous. There is only so much that training and vigilance can do on a public road when confronted with a car pulling out from a blind intersection that you can't even see, running a red light or stop sign, etc.

'15 R1
'05 R6 (Old Faithful)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:27 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6S

I think the question of safety partly depends on laws. Does your area have distracted driving laws? What are the speed limits in your area? Even pavement quality can help.

I've learned little tricks to keep me safer. When I approach an intersection where cross traffic has a stop sign and I see someone stopped, I always put my thumb over the horn. I often do that about three times on a local 2-mile ride in town. Of course I still can't thwart the idiot who makes a last-moment lane change without signalling or looking.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:48 PM

Bike: 2018 YZF-R6 Blue

I'd say "safe" is a matter of opinion. Its a risk every time you get on a bike, but its a calculated risk. You may see a situation as safe, and I may see it as unsafe, or the other way around. It also depends on region and type of riding.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:08 AM
My R6 glows at night.

"How safe" is rather arbitrary... how safe compared to what?

Of course riding is going to be more dangerous than a cage, that will always be true. Whether or not the dangers involved are worth what's gained, well that is a completely subjective question that only you can answer for yourself. No one else can decide for you what is worth the risk.

For me personally, is it safe? No, but then neither is driving my pickup, flying on a plane or even walking out my front door, there is no such thing as true safety in life, so then it just comes down to weighing risk and reward. For me riding is easily and without a shadow of a doubt worth the risks. I have a ~45min commute to work, that trip can get my blood pumping and put a grin on my face if I take the R6, or be a tedious and mundane trip I just gotta do if I take the truck. The enjoyment of riding to and from work every day (that weather allows, working in wet clothes sucks balls) is honestly one of the things I look forward to every day. Sure there are close calls every once in a while but nothing bad enough to make me want to stop riding, as long as you ride assuming no one else on the road knows your there, then you're prepared when they don't. Which to be honest has been nowhere near as bad as I was lead to believe before I got my bike. If you go by videos and posts then you'd think there would be a dozen homicidal drivers trying to run you down every time you ride. That has not been my experience at all, of course there has been distracted drivers here and there, but nothing close to how bad as I thought it would be. Which I guess makes sense that you'd read about close calls more, no one makes a youtube video or a forum post about how they had a safe and uneventful ride. I've always ridden like no driver knows I'm there, but for the most part I'm pleasantly surprised when they do. I'm sure it would vary depending on where you are though, I live in Columbia SC, where the biggest college in the state is located, so we have students on mopes absolutely everywhere, so the drivers here are more accustomed to having two wheeled vehicles around them than some places.

Last edited by JayO; 10-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in