Hanging Off. How does it work? - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Hanging Off. How does it work?

As i mentioned before..i'm doing a presentation for physics on acceleration, braking, and turning in a motorcycle. for the turning part, i've used a little bit from this website
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. I under stand how a motorcycle turns and everything but how does hanging off work? From the website i just mentioned, if you look at the part where it shows pictures of the 2 decreasing radius cups, he explains how the bike actually turns. It turns because the outside of the tire has a smaller radius, making it turn slower than the middle part of the tire. I also know that hanging off gives the bike more lean clearance in a turn. What i don't understand, is if the motorcycle only turns because the outside of the tire travels less distance than the center of the tire, and hanging off decreases the angle/lean of that tire, how can you turn the same amount as if you leaned the bike more?

Am i missing something?....
thanks for your time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Supermod old school style

Bike: 04 R6 White
Send a message via AIM to TexasR6 Send a message via Yahoo to TexasR6
Your lean angle is directly proportionate to your turn speed.
For example, if you take a turn at 15MPH, you only have to lean a certain amount, and you will not be dragging your knee. However, if you were to take the same turn at 90MPH, and try to use the same lean angle, you would highside, because of the centrifugal force exerted on the rider. Therefore, you have to lean the bike over to balance the lateral force on the tire, and the centrifugal force of the wheels.

Hanging off, is only a technique which accomplishes a few things.
One, by having a somewhat stabe platform on the surface,(the knee) it allows the rider to gauge his lean angle.
Two, it helps stabilize the rider by giving a small amount of support preventing him from making the lean angle too far down, thus losing the contact patch on the tire.
Three, it distributes more weight to the tires, by forcing pressure on the outside footpeg, forcing the tires to make better contact with the surface.
Four, since at high speeds, the gyroscope effect tries to pull the bike upright, leaning and hanging off applies more pressure to the top of the bike, holding it down, and preventing it from righting itself. (highsiding)

If you watch different riders on a track, you will notice that two riders can take a corner at the same speed, but at different lean angles. This is accomplished by the different ways the rider applies pressure to the rear tire. Example: If one rider has a lean angle of 55 degrees, and the other rider has a 50 degree lean angle, the rider with 50 degrees would need to apply a bit more weight to the rear tire to compensate for the lateral force on the tire.

Hope this helps somewhat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Keith Hamm. 1/26/2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:22 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to RSixxr
Ummmmm You lost me at Your.....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

whats really good?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

thanks for the info..i'm pretty sure i understand now...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Non-Racist Mod

Bike: 2004 BLUE R6
Send a message via AIM to yoda Send a message via Yahoo to yoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSixxr
Ummmmm You lost me at Your.....
hahahaha

That's some great info TXR6!

Jason

Can one ray of light change the world? Depends on who is holding it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan
RIP Keith Hamm. (1.25.06) You will be missed.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Supermod old school style

Bike: 04 R6 White
Send a message via AIM to TexasR6 Send a message via Yahoo to TexasR6
Why thank you Master Yoda.

Glad I could help.

RIP Keith Hamm. 1/26/2006

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:57 AM
I eat my R6

Good explanations...

The reason you hang off the bike is to bring the center of gravity out and require you to have to lean the bike over less. The farther over the bike is and the closer you are to the edges of the tires, the less traction is available. Since you are leaned over less if you are hanging off, you can give more gas coming through the corner and preserve traction.

The forces on the portion of your body that is hanging off also helps the turn. Its kinda like the bike is "falling over" and to keep it from falling over, you need to be accelerating (which incidentally makes the bike want to stand up).

Hard to explain, easy to visualize....think about it!!

"Treat it like you love it , ride it like you hate it"

PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ANNOY THOSE OF US THAT DO!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:56 AM
I eat my R6

wow, speechless

my brain is hurting from what i just read
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 11:02 AM
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to loki1313 Send a message via Yahoo to loki1313
ahhhhhhhhhhhh, POW , dammit my head just exploded, just to much info at one time i think. but good explanations all around txr6 and jasamb

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 01:27 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via MSN to penfold
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki1313
but good explanations all around txr6 and jasamb
yep, good explanations. perhaps Jasamb can clue us all in to his abduction that must have occured since he hasn't chimed in in ages!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in