My R6 eats me.

Re: 1st gear top speed in R6 and R1?

fast
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

If memory serves me correct, the '06-'07 R6 will hit about 79 mph. The '08-'16 R6 will do 80 or 81 mph.

The '07-'08 R1 will hit between 99 and 101 mph in first gear. I haven't look into the cross planes and what they can do.

I do know that my R6 can break just about every speed limit in the continental US - alomst. I think there's a speed limit in Texas or Arizona (can't quiet remember where) that's 80 mph. Some quick research will show you.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 05:29 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

This is an ancient thread. (2005)
When I first got it and was getting comfortable with throttle control and shifting in a (large) empty parking lot, had it to about 70mph in first. I don't think I've ever red-lined any vehicle I've owned. Power curve typically drops off well before redline so it's advantageous (for multiple reasons) not to redline it. But if just in a 0-50mph race against a dang fast opponent...

Something to keep in mind:
12,500 RPM means your piston moves up then down, ~208 times in a single second.
One up then down movement takes just 0.0048 second.

The forces on those parts are unimaginable. It's engineered to handle that and more, but this also greatly accelerates wear.

I'm closing in on 50k and the engine hasn't been cracked open... even for a valve job. Throttle isn't nearly as twitchy but still runs good. The 27F Winter starts will be the real test on how much longer. Used to start at lower temps (~20F) but deem that too risky now. Don't want to be stranded. Just wasn't designed for it. (tiny battery)
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

It was bumped a few times over the years. I noticed that as I read through it.

Also, yes, Yamaha does a phenomenal job with their materials and mechanical engineering. The piston doesn't contact the cylinder walls, but the rings do. If they are seated properly early on in their careers, they'll last 100k miles without breaking a sweat. Good service intervals and proper maintenence, and the engines on these things can last a VERY long time.

Additionally on the R6, the power drop off is around 14.5k RPMs (I have my shift light set just about there). The redline is at 16.5k RPMs. I can't say with certainty at which point a piston or rod would let go, but taking an educated guess that Yamaha backed it off approximately 10-20% of max revolutions through testing, you can probably get away with revving it to 18k RPMs or maybe even 20k RPMs although it most likely is making significantly less power than anywhere in the powerband.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in