My First GoPro Video of Group Ride! - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6
Garage
My First GoPro Video of Group Ride!

Hey guys,

I got myself a GoPro Hero 5 Black about a month ago, mostly to use on my helmet for insurance purposes, but also to shoot some cool footage of rides.
Last weekend I went on a small group ride through southeastern PA and into northern MD and decided to document some of the different moments along the way.
Here's the link to the video, I'd love to hear some feedback on how I did (still learning to use the software, insert captions, etc.)

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've never done video mixing or creating of any kind, but I decided to give it a shot and I think it turned out pretty cool!
(Had to keep it to 1:00 long so I could upload to instagram)

Enjoy!

1986 Yamaha Radian
2008 Yamaha R6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:56 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: Yamaha R6
Nice vid. I just bought myself one of them a week ago. First time user of a go pro so need to figure out the best settings to use etc but took it for a test ride yesterday. On my video I can barely hear my bike, there's just really loud muffled wind noise (really loud & annoying). Was wondering if you had the same problem & if not what settings did you use?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Garage
Re: My First GoPro Video of Group Ride!

Thanks!

And yeah I get lots of wind noise too, it just is what it is. That's why I just laid music over it and called it a day. You can look on youtube for various motovlogging setups where they attach a mic and run it into the helmet for pretty cheap. That way the mic basically picks up the same sound that you hear in the helmet: more engine, less wind, and your own voice (sometimes you can hear the Senas you're paired with if your volume is loud enough). I have a Sena on my helmet, so I already have a mic in there but sadly the Sena is not compatible with the Hero 5's.

Also, I used to shoot in wide mode for a month or so, which gave a great field of view but everything was just too small. The video you just saw was shot in medium view, which is still plenty wide (in case of an accident or something on the side of the road), and allows me to see further ahead.

My settings are: medium view, 1080p/60fps, and I use a 64gb card which allows for 2h 48m of record time with those settings.
Thanks for watching and hope this helped

1986 Yamaha Radian
2008 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:06 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: Yamaha R6

Ah ok I thought maybe it was something I was doing that was causing so much wind noise, obviously not
lol

I have a Cado freedom system, can I do that mic set up like you said you can with the Cardo? Is there a way to connect the hero via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth headset? I know you're probably not an expert on all this but you never know haha!

I'm going to have to try those video settings, the view of your video was much better than what I tried. How did you mount the camera to your chin? I quite liked the viewing angle it gave.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Garage

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not really an expert on the mic setup aspect, so I can't really help you there unfortunately.

As far as the mounting is concerned, attached is how it looks on the helmet.
- I bought the grab bag (link below) which had the curved mount, 3 way pivot arm, and thumb screws. (Cheap no-brand versions can be found on amazon for fractions of the cost of GoPro brand).
- The curve of my helmet was a little sharper than the curve of the mount, so to fill in the gaps I added little strips of more 3M mounting tape (link below).
- Also attached is a crude bottom/top view drawing of how the tape and mount were put on.
I can take more pictures when I am home later to show you a little better.

Grab Bag:

3M Tape:

1986 Yamaha Radian
2008 Yamaha R6
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 AM
My R6 eats me.

asdf
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 AM
I eat my R6

I plan to get a hero 5 black because of the gps over lay for track riding. Looks like you guys had some fun. Not big fan of group rides, but you guys seem to behave well enough.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:13 PM
My R6 eats me.

How's the Hero 5 for the track overlay working for you?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 AM
My R6 eats me.

very cool
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 AM
My R6 eats me.

can't wait to see it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in