What was your first bike? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM
I am a Super Saiyan.

Bike: Yamaha R6
Re: 2017 KTM RC390 (only six weeks under my belt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post
Yes, might be controversial, I have only been riding for six weeks since taking the MSF course in late March. Got myself the RC390 and went out every day for 2-3 hours of parking lot and back road practice since. Had my first track day Monday last week and learned a ton. Put down a deposit on a 2017 R6 same week and will pick it up next week.

Let me hear all your arguments why it's crazy to upgrade to a 600cc (and an R6 on top) after only six weeks of total lifetime riding experience. I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated by the bike but I feel ready if I play carefully. I demoed it for a good number of laps at the track day and it felt ok.

Thoughts?

H
It's not crazy at all. I started on an R6 and did fine. Thank God, I haven't gotten in any accidents..close calls? yes but no accidents. I had zero riding experience but I still got the R6 cause I wanted it and took my time learning on it. I used to ride it to a parking lot and then set up my own little track using cones to practice braking, u-turns, tight turns and etc. 600cc+ bikes are less forgiving BUT they don't start off going 150 mph, you have to take it there so as long as you're responsible with it, you'll do fine
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
confidence is everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2008 R6 - 2013 1199
Re: What was your first bike?

FZR400RRSP , I think it was a 1990
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 04:55 PM
My R6 eats me.

2011 r6

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post
Yes, might be controversial, I have only been riding for six weeks since taking the MSF course in late March. Got myself the RC390 and went out every day for 2-3 hours of parking lot and back road practice since. Had my first track day Monday last week and learned a ton. Put down a deposit on a 2017 R6 same week and will pick it up next week.

Let me hear all your arguments why it's crazy to upgrade to a 600cc (and an R6 on top) after only six weeks of total lifetime riding experience. I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated by the bike but I feel ready if I play carefully. I demoed it for a good number of laps at the track day and it felt ok.

Thoughts?

H
maybe get some more seat time on the 390 before moving onto the 600. Not sure what you've been practicing but it takes alot more seat time than just a single day to get acquainted. But then again you could be a prodigy!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spend more time riding closed course(s) and soon the journey will be clear.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalbrawler View Post
It's not crazy at all. I started on an R6 and did fine. Thank God, I haven't gotten in any accidents..close calls? yes but no accidents. I had zero riding experience but I still got the R6 cause I wanted it and took my time learning on it. I used to ride it to a parking lot and then set up my own little track using cones to practice braking, u-turns, tight turns and etc. 600cc+ bikes are less forgiving BUT they don't start off going 150 mph, you have to take it there so as long as you're responsible with it, you'll do fine
confidence is everything.
Have you ever taken any advanced riding courses or instruction?
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

I think it was either a '96 or '98 RM 80. I can't remember the exact year.

My first street bike was a '07 YZF-R6.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:57 AM
I GET WILD ON MY R6!

Bike: 2009 Yamaha R6
Garage

My first bike was a 2005 Honda Shadow 600 then I upgraded to my 09 R6 about a month or two later. The cruiser got boring pretty quick!!!
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:48 AM
I am a Super Saiyan.

Bike: Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Have you ever taken any advanced riding courses or instruction?
Just the 3 day MSF course and then that's it. I taught myself everything else, step by step.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 AM
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 08 R6
Ninja 300, about 6 years ago before owning 2 previous bikes and now an r6.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 AM
(H)
All I say is 16,500.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
maybe get some more seat time on the 390 before moving onto the 600. Not sure what you've been practicing but it takes alot more seat time than just a single day to get acquainted. But then again you could be a prodigy!

Spend more time riding closed course(s) and soon the journey will be clear.
Did the MSF first. Then I did just shy of 1,600 miles in the first six weeks on the RC390. I went out to a large empty parking lot every day for slow maneuvering practice, loads of weaving, accelerating, breaking, breaking while turning, trail braking, hard stops, soft stops, lean angle and body position. After that I went for about an hour ride on twisty back roads almost each day. After five weeks I did a one day track day at NJMP with some wonderful instructors, that I felt really helped a lot. Not that's it's relevant in any form but the day after, I was able to very easily put my knee down.

Btw., I did already pick up the R6 (:-0) last week and I will go through the same 4-6 weeks discipline with this bike as well. But I hear your caution! I will see to book some advanced training soon as well and get more track time on both bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r6.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	355417  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in