Why is Ubuntu so cool? - Page 4 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 R6 Orange
Send a message via MSN to budboarder
Re: Why is Ubuntu so cool?

Ive been building and maintaining home/gaming computers for going on 10 years now. I agree with most in the sense that every OS has a place. Open source programs are great, I have very few problems with them. I have never had a hard time finding support for any software in Ubuntu or any other linux distro. Anyone who groups all of something together and calls it bad in ignorant. Sure some open source apps are bad, some are the best software available. Just like some non open source apps are terrible(im not going to name names....but I could). Im not a fan of Microsoft as a company so I do my best not to buy the products they offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DDM 5k HIDs,
Shogun Sliders,
Targa half cover,
FP Racing Levers,
Proton Flushies,
PUIG tinted double bubble,
K&N Air Filter,
Home made fender elim.,
Driven D3 grips,
Spiegel brake lines,
Were getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:23 AM
blah...

Bike: '09 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue03r6 View Post
have you ever used windows media player?
it's a do it all player. it plays everything and organizes your media.
I don't need 2 seperate programs to do the job of one.

those managers you suggest don't even connect with vlc.
so when you open vlc you have to choose open a file. LOL it's a pos.
big deal it plays shit. whooptie doo. that's what it's supposed to do.
but I have to search through my files and find the song or artist i want.
that's what makes it a 1/2 assed player.
VLC is a cross platform media PLAYER.

Windows media player is a MEDIA MANAGER and PLAYER.

VLC works exactly the same in windows, linux, and OS X. VLC's appeal is that you don't have to install a million codecs to play different encoded media.
Why should the media managers connect with VLC? Windows media player doesn't either. Like I said earlier....PEBKAC. If you want a media manager, use a media manager. Don't use a simple player then bitch about it. it's not rocket science.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Yeah man, I hear that. It's a really tightly knit community with the open source guys. F that shit. They feel like they are elite for some randomn reason. It's like I could care less if you can run linux on a toaster oven. It's not the answer to everything!!!

I hate spending hours to achieve a simple task, and that's what you get when using linux.. The cool thing is if you are really nasty with it, it comes in VERY handy on apples. You feel like a regular hacker when you drop to a command line and start fingering and sniffing things out lol
I haven't had anything but good support from the open source community from my experience. I think the apple guys are bigger elite dicks lol

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 AM
My R6 eats me.

Ubantu is cool for me because it's free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in