need some recommendations on a good anti virus - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
R6 2006

Bike: 06 R6, 50th anniversary
Re: need some recommendations on a good anti virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalR6_2009 View Post
Get a Mac!!!
Macs aren't safer then windows, they just represent 2%-5% of the market so they aren't worth the trouble to write viruses for. Imagine the day that someone smart decides to write a virus and releases it on a iphone fan boy site. would be too comical.

Mods:
Hotbodies MGP Growler Slip-on
Olson Mid pipe
Graves Smog block offs
K&N air filter
Power Commander 3
Halo Projector Headlights(Thanks JE824016)
Hotbodies windscreen
Powdercoated rearsets & Passenger pegs
Custom painted Aux light (Thanks CheapMods)
Passenger Seat cowl
Flush turn signals
T-Rex frame sliders, clutch slider, swing arm spools
BikeLitez Fender Eliminator
Carbon Fiber Triple Tree cover
LED Passenger Pegs(TripageLED.com)
ASV Shorty Levers
Driven Gel D3 Grips
Driven Bar ends

Mods to come:
Powder Coated Rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaEvo View Post
Just a tad lesser...
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I personally like
^These, Macs are for girls

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013
^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I pee in the shower.

Bike: 2009 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario J View Post
stupidest comment ever

Apple's get viruses...
As an Apple Genius, I will say that you're right. Macs do get viruses, but at a significantly lower percentage as Windows users experience. Macs also use what's called "sandboxing" which is built into Mac OSX which restricts what programs can do on your Mac. So yeah, you get a virus, chances are very slim, but the chances of it being a malicious are much more slim. All apps that come on OSX are also 64-bit.
I've been using a Mac since 2005, and never have had one virus. ever.
With no virus protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need_more_gear View Post
Macs aren't safer then windows, they just represent 2%-5% of the market so they aren't worth the trouble to write viruses for. Imagine the day that someone smart decides to write a virus and releases it on a iphone fan boy site. would be too comical.
This is true also, but the market share is growing. And growing quick.
And to get a virus on an iOS device is extremely difficult, if not impossible. And if there ever was, you bet there would be an update covering the hole(s) a week later.

As to the OP: Always will recommend a Mac to anyone. But, since you're using Windows, Norton is about the WORST AV.
Go with Avast. It's light, does the job, and it's free.
AVG is ok, until you want to completely remove it. And I mean completely, not just going through the control panel.

Save a horse, ride a crossplane.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2002 R6 Matte Black

if somebody is recommending a mac when a person is asking about antivirus im quite sure they dont want to spend 2000$ on an antivirus, especially when they could just download linux which is free use it on their pc and be far more secure than any mac.

of course if a person is asking what is a good antivirus i dont recommend linux.

but then a mac is security through obscurity which is not safe at ALL.

also if you want a good free antivirus(and i DO NOT like microsoft) then use microsoft security essentials. its one of the few things they they have actually done well and it is free.

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Meh

Bike: 05 R6, and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
Biggest thing is be careful what u click on and look at. I ran many years without any protection with no problems.
This. Anti-virus / anti-malware isn't perfect, and it makes your computer run like ass. Keep on top of updates and teach your woman how to spot things that install malware (zip / exe files in e-mails, facebook spam, links where the URL doesn't match the text, etc.) and you'll be much better off than trying to hide the problem with software that's almost as bad as the malware you're trying to avoid.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnawesomeWES View Post
As an Apple Genius, I will say that you're right. Macs do get viruses, but at a significantly lower percentage as Windows users experience. Macs also use what's called "sandboxing" which is built into Mac OSX which restricts what programs can do on your Mac. So yeah, you get a virus, chances are very slim, but the chances of it being a malicious are much more slim. All apps that come on OSX are also 64-bit.
I've been using a Mac since 2005, and never have had one virus. ever.
With no virus protection.
That just means that you may have viruses on your system that you don't know about and have no way of detecting.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 PM

not to mention windows has sandboxing too. you just have to download it. its called sandboxie. or you could just run VM's as well.

as i said security through obscurity doesnt work as well as people seem to think, someone could write a worm that would leave most mac users completely defenseless....just nobody cares enough to do so...a mac botnet? why there are billions of more pc's in the world.

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 AM
My R6 eats me.

Kaspersky is the best anti-virus for me. You're computer will be safe if you use this software.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 AM
liking anchovies

Bike: 2005 ZX6R

- AVG Free
- Malwarbytes Anti-Malware (free). This program is friggin magic, gets rid of things nothing else can. If you get something really bad run you're computer in safe mode (F8) when starting and run this.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepontejos View Post
Kaspersky is the best anti-virus for me. You're computer will be safe if you use this software.
1. Poor detection/removal of Rogue apps.

2. Does not have a complete disinfection routine for Trojan.Downloader. Only the specific Trojan.Downloader is detected, it has negligible detection of the malwares that are downloaded by the Trojan.

3. iSwift and iChecker technologies marks the files that are previously scanned and prevents further rescan. So, if a malware is not in the detection bases at a specific time, and its gets scanned once, it will not be rescanned by Realtime AV for a definite interval of time.

4. Instead of a single integrated base, the detection bases are a bundle of several tiny files (about 1000 files). So there is maximum possibility of bases fragmentation.

then again i could give almost the same bad advice to any antivirus with minimal differences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in