help meeeeeeee - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 07 R6 Raven
help meeeeeeee

Ok guys so I'm technically inept. I recently started renting out an inlaw apartment. It's connected to the landlords house. I looked around the house and can't find any Ethernet ports or whatever they are called. I play ps3 and the signal is horrible since the router is in his house. So my question is..... Is there anything I can buy to make the signal stronger on my side of the house? Or can I buy a router of my own but still use his WiFi??? Please throw out any ideas or solutions I'm horrible with this stuff haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Make good choices.

Bike: R6, SV, KTM300, Tiger 800
Re: help meeeeeeee

Easiest solution (and free) to try first is to ask him if he can move the router so it puts out a stronger signal to your place. Consider the number of walls, the angle the signal has to travel and the material inside them in between your PS3 and his router.

I feel for you. A spotty internet connection can be insanely frustrating.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Ok I can ask him that for sure. It's an old farm house so tons of walls to go through for sure

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Make good choices.

The ideal solution, in my opinion, is to run a hardline.

This would require working with the landlord to scope out the situation and see if it's practical and wont do any damage that he isn't comfortable with. If the house is old, the cable installer probably had to just run the coax around the house and through the walls. If this is the case, you can use the existing holes to run a long Cat5 cable (cheap!) from his router, along the house and into your place where you would have a router of your own acting as a repeater (same network and everything). Hard wire the PS3 to this and you would have the fastest, most reliable connection available to you. Again, this may not be practical/possible.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Would anything like this work?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Or a plc powerline connector...I'm just reading this online so don't have any real idea of what this does lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Make good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffylikeJiffy View Post
Would anything like this work?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You could try that. It may work because it probably has much better wireless connectivity than the adapter in your PS3. In other words, that product may be able to do more with your weak wifi signal than the PS3 can on it's own. Probably a crap shoot though. I've never used one of those, so I don't know how hard it is to set up. Looks like you can get a used one on

for about $20 so it may be worth a shot.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Make good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffylikeJiffy View Post
Or a plc powerline connector...I'm just reading this online so don't have any real idea of what this does lol
I don't know much about broadband over power line; but I don't think it applies to your case.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Mexico lindo

Bike: 2003 R6

If you share the same electrical system as your landlord you can get a PLC solution that should solve your problem. The solution is simple and comprised of 4 pieces: two adapters (both have ethernet ports and plug into the electrical outlets) and two ethernet cables, that's it.

How to use it:
1. First adapter you plug in the electrical outlet where the router is and connect the adapter to router via ethernet cable (in your case your landlords house)
2. Plug in 2nd adaptor to electrical outlet in the room where your PS3 is and connect it to PS3 via ethernet cable.
3. You are done.

The internet signal is carried through the electrical system in the house so as long as you are on the same electrical system as your landlord you should be good.

Here is a link to D-Link product that gives up to 600Mbps:
Link has good diagrams to show how it works.

Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full GYTR exhaust, PCIII, K&N filter, Galfer SS brake lines, frame sliders, extended bar ends, Low beam HID, Stompgrip, Hotbodies undertail, Rear seat cowl,
Custom fender eliminator w/light, Greggs Customs flush mount turn signals, FDB Shorty black levers, Puig light smoke windscreen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:46 AM

Bike: 08 R6S

..just realized i bumped an old thread... sigh.. sorry.

The powerline converts are nice but they work best on updated electrical. There are a lot of factors to consider when using these. The one on his side may go back to a different breaker than on your side, that counts as a distance factor as well as introducing potential for interference and even having it on the same breaker, it can be impacted by what is on your line already. You may buy them and have no issues but you may find poor performance and stability issues.

Your best bet is you run a cat5e from his side to your side and buy yourself a $20 Ethernet hub. If you want more than one device on cat5e then this will suffice... but you aren't limited to plugging the cat5e into a router and setting up your own SSID.

When I first read your post I considered a repeater but if you already have signal issues the repeater isn't going to help much, unless you can find the perfect placement of the router on his side like someone else had recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in