Need help in choosing a new computer - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe track addict

Bike: 2003 R6
Re: Need help in choosing a new computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
Newegg and tiger direct are usually your best places to look.

As for specs, I'd pick up the best Intel I7 processor you can afford, and at least 8 Gigs of DDR3 RAM, and probably a big like 1 terabyte standard hard drive, as well as a decent size solid-state hard drive for quick load/boot times and less lagging on playback. As for power supply and motherboard, I dunno. You probably don't need a graphics card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milko View Post

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
this
Im normally all for MAC but, If all your looking for is a home theater pc, best bet would be something like a mATX or mITX mother board with built in HDMI, specs similar to those suggested above and a nice small sleek case, load up XBMC on that bish and you'll be all set.

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thanks for your input guys, I'll be looking into all this. Milko, never heard of XBMC before, googled it and it looks pretty tight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeex View Post
I bought a dell.. Couple years ago.. And I still cannot complain about the PC. (Only the case is cheap.. CD drive door broke off)

I7 processor. 9 gigs of ram. 750gb hard drive.

I had 2 things fail and upgraded one.

Power supply died. Got an Antec and no issues

Hard drive died. Partly because I never turn the PC off.

Upgraded video card.. I think 2gig nvidia
Yeah mines a HP, but its like 7 years old at this point. One of the fans quit, hard drive is getting a little sporadic, and theres a definite issue with the motherboard. Just time to move up. With the exception of the last year I've been happy with what I've gotten out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe track addict

Bike: 2003 R6

Oh, and I have a macbook pro
Thats why I only use the desktop as a media center
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM

Bike: 08 R6S

..just realized i bumped an old thread... sigh.. sorry.

From the post I couldn't tell if you were looking to do streaming (DLNA) or if you were planning on hooking up your new build to a screen of some sort.

The suggestions here we're good for what you should buy spec wise but for your use some of the recommended items might be a little pricey.

You can buy yourself a very small case and a mATX board.

If you are going to stream content I would recommend sticking with lower budget, pick up an i5 and 6-8GB ram. You can get a motherboard with on-board HDMI and avoid having a graphics card, so you'd stream but use HDMI for access to the desktop (or remote desktop or something else). This requires some process for trans-coding depending on the format of the video but it's done of the fly unless you convert to a supported format to whatever you stream too.

If you are going to convert your content to a different format to stream it I would get the i7 and 8GB ram. Onboard graphics can still be used since you won't do much with it but you'll want the beefier processor to do your conversion. An SSD helps a lot here as it reduces your latency a bit.

If you are going to play your content to the TV from HDMI you can still use on-board video with an i5.

Having a graphics card won't really contribute to the performance of serving the content over DLNA and you wouldn't really notice a difference with a PCIe card over the Intel set.. at least not the new stuff (Intel HD 4000). Blu-ray content over 4000... YMMV.

Last edited by bzip2; 05-22-2014 at 10:48 AM.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Dangerously Irish

Bike: 13M1 Rep 05Aprila scooter
Garage

Build it/Thread as stated before New Egg,Tiger direct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My shenanigans are now official sponsored by Shermoto Racing!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are many people faster than me, so I have to create an illusion of speed
Bruce Lee
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Hunter S. Thompson
One does not sell the earth upon which the people walk.
Crazy Horse
ROTM Dec 2011/Sep 2013

^petrol_spice^ RIP Mulciber, BallistiK,GhostR6
'Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
launchpad McQuack
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:25 PM
My R6 eats me.

Gimmie goals and a budget and I can throw together a suggested build for you.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 PM
My R6 eats me.

I was part of a gaming community for years... playing css and csgo into Battlefield 4 i was always interested in finding better pc parts...

Newegg is great...STICK WITH NON WATER COOLED as water cooled are a bigger deal then they let on... i went to my local shop.. told them what i was doing and told them what i wanted... i ended up with a Nvidia 780 vid card ( for gaming ) with an I-7 set up.. yea i paid for it cost wise...but like your bike.. get what you want..not what you can afford at the time.. look for a local pc repair shop..ask questions,, STAY AWAY FROM THE GEEK SQUAD AT BEST BUY AT ALL COSTS...You pay out your a$$ for simple repairs..let a small local pc shop build it for you.. that way if something goes wrong with the OS (operating system ) its on them not you...

stick with Intel parts... i know i know ppl will stick up for AMD..But really... A i-7 runs like Rossi's R1.. where AMD is like the Ninja 500 no one admits to owning..amd isnt terrible by any means.. but go with the proven..

good luck

Last edited by PennMiner; 08-17-2014 at 05:39 PM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 05:44 PM
My R6 eats me.

AMD runs just as fast and sometimes faster for half the cost.
Only downside is, it runs hotter. Can fix that with a $20 fan
Do what you want to do, but I'm all about saving money.

As for having someone build it for you, it requires barely any experience to DIY. Try it yourself and if you fail, take it to a shop. At least you tried.

Then again, this is an old ass thread xD
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:11 PM
My R6 eats me.

MAKE SURE YOU GET A GROUNDING WRIST BAND AND CLIP IT TO YOUR PC if your building it yourself lol.. been there..ruined that..
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennMiner View Post
I was part of a gaming community for years... playing css and csgo into Battlefield 4 i was always interested in finding better pc parts...

Newegg is great...STICK WITH NON WATER COOLED as water cooled are a bigger deal then they let on... i went to my local shop.. told them what i was doing and told them what i wanted... i ended up with a Nvidia 780 vid card ( for gaming ) with an I-7 set up.. yea i paid for it cost wise...but like your bike.. get what you want..not what you can afford at the time.. look for a local pc repair shop..ask questions,, STAY AWAY FROM THE GEEK SQUAD AT BEST BUY AT ALL COSTS...You pay out your a$$ for simple repairs..let a small local pc shop build it for you.. that way if something goes wrong with the OS (operating system ) its on them not you...

stick with Intel parts... i know i know ppl will stick up for AMD..But really... A i-7 runs like Rossi's R1.. where AMD is like the Ninja 500 no one admits to owning..amd isnt terrible by any means.. but go with the proven..

good luck
I have friends that have water-cooled units and love them. Care to elaborate?

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM
My R6 eats me.

sure.. i bought my brother a water cooled cyber power pc.. just an i-5 with a 560ti graphics card at the time.. was a real steal at the price just under 500 with all the options he wanted.. (its been a good while ago ) anyway.. they come pre-assembled..

he filled it with coolant and for a time it ran great.. He was playing css at around 240 fps and it ran smoothly no matter where he connected to.. ( comcast ftw )

anyway.. a month or so goes by.. out of no where one of his coolant tubes melts
and coolant goes everywhere.. all over the psu and mobo.. he trashed everything..

ALL im saying is that if its his 1st build.. he's better off to go with NON liquid cooled.. Im running a roswell I-7 build with enough fans to keep my r6 cool and its near silent..
4 fans to be exact.. 2 push and 2 pull.. keeps airflow rollin and my pc never gets hot..

I played alot of bf3 and BF4.. no issues what so ever.. airflow is key no matter what route he goes... If it was me.. id go non liquid and stick to decent parts that are PROVEN time and time again to work... otherwise.. your taking chances and money doesnt grow on trees...AMD as mentioned before dont like heat.. nothing does.. but i know ive ran my I-7 for months
with only restarts..No issues what so ever..

Last edited by PennMiner; 08-17-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in