Need help in choosing a new computer - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe track addict

Bike: 2003 R6
Need help in choosing a new computer

At one point I used to be pretty good with keeping up to date with everything computers, but now I pretty much know nothing
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I know a couple of you guys have super gaming computers and whatnot, so I defer to you for advice.

The time has come to replace my desktop. I don't really use it for much other than making it my media center. I download all my movies and music to it and between downloading and playing them, that accounts for probably 98% of all i'll ever use it for.

Would I be better off just getting another off the shelf system or would it be better to have one built so I only get the upgraded hardware that I need? The only major thing for me is that I want it to be able to handle playing back a blu-ray. The one I have now will freeze and skip during action scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 AM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed
Re: Need help in choosing a new computer

For what you're planning to use it for, it doesn't sound like the hardware requirements will be too high. That being said, it is ALWAYS cheaper to build it yourself than to buy one off the shelf, and for the same amount of money you can build one much more powerful.

Unless it's like a "daily deal" computer from newegg or something. One of those I'd scoop up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe track addict

I'll have to check out new egg then.

IF I did choose to build it myself, what kind of components or specs should I be looking for? And does build it myself comprise of choosing the parts and the site puts it all together or I order individually and assemble myself?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 AM
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GrandMan View Post
I'll have to check out new egg then.

IF I did choose to build it myself, what kind of components or specs should I be looking for? And does build it myself comprise of choosing the parts and the site puts it all together or I order individually and assemble myself?
you order the parts, and build it at home yourself.

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe track addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg2001 View Post
you order the parts, and build it at home yourself.
Thats what I figured. I can handle that.

Should I assume that new egg is pretty much the best place to buy the parts from?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 AM
My Power band is blue

Bike: 2009 sold,2008 R6 pink
For music and movies, I I'd just buy a Mac. You'll never have an issue with it, and it looks sexy in the room.

Now you guys can give me shit for wanting something that just works and doesn't require anything to keep it up to date.

Sent from
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I need a new sig, Can someone make me one please?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:23 AM
iRun

Bike: Wal-mart 12-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GrandMan View Post
Thats what I figured. I can handle that.

Should I assume that new egg is pretty much the best place to buy the parts from?
Newegg and tiger direct are usually your best places to look.

As for specs, I'd pick up the best Intel I7 processor you can afford, and at least 8 Gigs of DDR3 RAM, and probably a big like 1 terabyte standard hard drive, as well as a decent size solid-state hard drive for quick load/boot times and less lagging on playback. As for power supply and motherboard, I dunno. You probably don't need a graphics card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreR6S View Post
For music and movies, I I'd just buy a Mac. You'll never have an issue with it, and it looks sexy in the room.

Now you guys can give me shit for wanting something that just works and doesn't require anything to keep it up to date.

Sent from
Paying literally 2x more for a computer because it "looks sexy" is ignorant at best. Also, Macs have hardware failures too, so the idea that they're maintenance free is misguided. Furthermore, AFAIK, Mac updates COST YOU MONEY. So what about not costing you anything to keep it up to date?

I've seen some hella sexy custom built desktops in my day.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s?
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250?
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer?
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz?
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH?
  • How does rotating mass work?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 11:04 AM
I get paid to get high

Bike: Neat ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
Paying literally 2x more for a computer because it "looks sexy" is ignorant at best. Also, Macs have hardware failures too, so the idea that they're maintenance free is misguided. Furthermore, AFAIK, Mac updates COST YOU MONEY. So what about not costing you anything to keep it up to date?

I've seen some hella sexy custom built desktops in my day.

My bro in law is crazy about Mac but I agree with you.

A buddy of mine owns a custom computer shop and I have seen some crazy liquid cooled set ups.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Sherwin Antagonist

Bike: 2009 r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket293 View Post
Newegg and tiger direct are usually your best places to look.

As for specs, I'd pick up the best Intel I7 processor you can afford, and at least 8 Gigs of DDR3 RAM, and probably a big like 1 terabyte standard hard drive, as well as a decent size solid-state hard drive for quick load/boot times and less lagging on playback. As for power supply and motherboard, I dunno. You probably don't need a graphics card.

this
Im normally all for MAC but, If all your looking for is a home theater pc, best bet would be something like a mATX or mITX mother board with built in HDMI, specs similar to those suggested above and a nice small sleek case, load up XBMC on that bish and you'll be all set.

Sent from

"that's the smell of dedication.....and maybe a little athlete's foot" - Cal Crutchlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
Saw the cooter, was no impressed...There were things that fell to the ground; deeply saddened me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Its gonna be awesome to be back on the track tho. Being there all weekend and not riding was like getting a lapdance in sweatpants bro!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:42 PM
m3lover2

Bike: Trek Fuel 90

I bought a dell.. Couple years ago.. And I still cannot complain about the PC. (Only the case is cheap.. CD drive door broke off)

I7 processor. 9 gigs of ram. 750gb hard drive.

I had 2 things fail and upgraded one.

Power supply died. Got an Antec and no issues

Hard drive died. Partly because I never turn the PC off.

Upgraded video card.. I think 2gig nvidia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in