Wheelie Suspension setup - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Wheelie Suspension setup

Hey all, is there a suspension setup that will make it easy to pul the bike up in a wheelie. I can't hardly get my R6 up unless it's in 1st and @ 7k rpm. really hard in second gear. I know on my dirt bike , if I loosen up the rear, it will stand up pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:10 PM
I eat my R6

Set your rear compression to the lowest setting. I wouldn't go hittin' canyons like that though.

Miraclegrau's mechanic, among other things...

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 06:18 PM
I eat my R6

Send a message via AIM to Brav
Re: Wheelie Suspension setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6_red-rocket
Hey all, is there a suspension setup that will make it easy to pul the bike up in a wheelie. I can't hardly get my R6 up unless it's in 1st and @ 7k rpm. really hard in second gear. I know on my dirt bike , if I loosen up the rear, it will stand up pretty easy.
I duno, but when my gf lets loose in the rear, i can get it up.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:27 PM
My R6 eats me.

i heard that if you stiffin up the rear and make the front rebound at max it will come up quicker.
im not sure so don't quote me on it, i just pull them up with whatever setting im at. I am going to go by trial and error to find what works best for me cause im sure that if you play with it you will find a system that works for you.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

the 6 doesn't have enough power, so changing the suspension isn't the best answer. i would recommend changing your sprockets like -1 front +2 rear. that should help your desire for wheelies!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:37 PM
My R6 eats me.

ive ridden with 6's and they pull them up in second with no clutch, so saying that they don't have enough power i don't think is totally accurate. but dropping a tooth in the front and adding two in the rear will work for sure. i think you loose top end speed though.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 03:58 PM
IQ = Post Count

Bike: '04 Silver (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R919
i think you loose top end speed though.
Not really. I know my bike won't redline in high gear, so re-gearing wouldn't really lose that much (if any). Besides, if you're REALLY concerned with top speed, then get a bigger bike. Re-gearing the R6 is really not a bad idea, it acts more like the 1 Liter except it doesn't pull on the top end like the bigger bikes. I know my buddy's Fireblade just stands right up in second and third with a twist of the throttle, that's pretty much what the R6 will do when you re-gear it. The only real draw back is having to shift more often at lower speeds - not that big of a deal though.

Actually, when you think about it a Re-Gear costs about $200, but on the other end of the spectrum, to pick up enough power to NOT have to re-gear is a considerable amount more duckets.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 02:55 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Send a message via AIM to suekie
If you can't get a wheelie in second gear on a R6, you shouldn't be riding wheelies at all. It's a peice of cake (with the stock suspension settings)!!!!!!!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Super Mod

Bike: 2003 Blue R6
Send a message via AIM to njk27
yeah regearing also messes p your speedometer and odometer

Jealousy will get you nowhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 08:53 AM
IQ = Post Count

Bike: '04 Silver (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suekie
If you can't get a wheelie in second gear on a R6, you shouldn't be riding wheelies at all...
That's an ignorant statement. You make it sound like all R6s run the exact same in every part of the world. At higher elevations, the bike makes less power, which in turn, makes it a little harder to do wheelies in second gear. To tell someone they shouldn't be riding wheelies, because they are having trouble doing it in second gear is just stupidity on your part and I'm sure your first wheelie on a bike was just a beautiful "2 miler", NOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk27
yeah regearing also messes p your speedometer and odometer
Do you HAVE to "piggyback" on EVERY single post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in