Steering Dampers - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2018 YZF-R6 Blue
Re: Steering Dampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
Tank slappers happen on the street or track, to fast and slow riders, for a big variety of reasons.

OP: the universal damper might be just for the damper unit itself, not including the correct mounting hardware. The mounting brackets can cost the extra $200. You're better off buying direct from a trusted dealer (RidersDiscount, STG, Revzilla, etc), and buying a complete kit to match your bike so that you'll have everything you need. Please don't buy knock off crap on ebay.

You'll likely never even know when your damper has done it's job
This.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:30 PM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Tank slappers happen on the street or track, to fast and slow riders, for a big variety of reasons.

OP: the universal damper might be just for the damper unit itself, not including the correct mounting hardware. The mounting brackets can cost the extra $200. You're better off buying direct from a trusted dealer (RidersDiscount, STG, Revzilla, etc), and buying a complete kit to match your bike so that you'll have everything you need. Please don't buy knock off crap on ebay.

You'll likely never even know when your damper has done it's job
I heard the "knock-off" crap actually works the same just the dials don't feel as quality. The idea is to run any damper as long as it works. I assume using a cheaper damper the oil might get hard so when it gets cold out it might not move the bars as fluidly. I'm not sure.

I use a Scotts damper and it's fine. Came w/ the bike when I bought it. I never ran it full "off". Always 1 click up. Anymore and I can't u-turn and it's unnecessary.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:58 AM
tubular radical bodacious

Bike: '14 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
I heard the "knock-off" crap actually works the same just the dials don't feel as quality. The idea is to run any damper as long as it works. I assume using a cheaper damper the oil might get hard so when it gets cold out it might not move the bars as fluidly. I'm not sure.

I use a Scotts damper and it's fine. Came w/ the bike when I bought it. I never ran it full "off". Always 1 click up. Anymore and I can't u-turn and it's unnecessary.
If the dials don't 'feel as quality', that means the metals and materials used are lower quality, so whatever the internals are made out of is not going to be as good of a material. How do you know it's not going to fail? Are all Chinese Ebay dampers made by the same person? What kind of fluid do they use?

It's typical for fluid to be harder to move through valving when it's cold out, it happens to your suspension also. And just like your suspension, you're supposed to service your damper fluid. I do so every year or two. The fluid breaks down, which means your damper may not function properly.

I'm not going to trust my life to knock off parts, but to each his own.

'14 R6 race

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
If the dials don't 'feel as quality', that means the metals and materials used are lower quality, so whatever the internals are made out of is not going to be as good of a material. How do you know it's not going to fail? Are all Chinese Ebay dampers made by the same person? What kind of fluid do they use?

It's typical for fluid to be harder to move through valving when it's cold out, it happens to your suspension also. And just like your suspension, you're supposed to service your damper fluid. I do so every year or two. The fluid breaks down, which means your damper may not function properly.

I have a Scotts damper which is premium. Never used anything else. It came w/ the bike. Certain things could matter, you are right. Never used anything other than Michelin 2CT and Road 5s. I can't really say other tires are the same. I'm just saying a knock-off damper could be better than no damper but I'm not sure if it might "jam" one day and now you can't steer.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:22 PM

Ive put dampers on every bike Ive had for the last 10-11 years.

As already said, you may never realise when one has just done it's job. Where i live they are valuable for road riding as the roads can be a little inconsistent in surface quality . . ..
I believe in the 'Better to have and not need, than need and not have' school of thought.

The universal kit is just a damper - the reason theyre bike specific is that some bikes can only be mounted in certain positions, and this can mean the damper requires a longer or shorter stroke.
The universal damper is designed to be flexible in terms of mounting position due to it's stroke length. - e.g a damper made to be mounted '916 style' will cause a problem with the rotation of the bars if you mounted it from the frame to the forks.

You will still need to buy the correct size rackets / fork leg clamps etc etc.

If you want one, I recommend paying the extra few bucks and getting the bike specific kit OR be patient, you'll find the come up on for sale threads on forums quite often and usually go for $200-$250 USD second hand
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:31 AM
I eat my R6

Mine is mounted like this but the dial isn't set as high as it is here. I'm only 1 click up from off on the main. Everything else is stock.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AntDX316; 11-16-2018 at 05:41 AM.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:39 AM

Bike: 2018 YZF-R6 Blue

Iíve always used GPR steering dampers. I love them. They work well, and Iíve never had a problem with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:48 AM
I eat my R6

Just, never ever ride any motorcycle on the streets w/o a steering damper and never ride a Superbike w/o TCS. I also think you need a slipper clutch on a Superbike because the engine braking is massive I've heard but on the R6 it's ok. I have no slipper and it's fine. : )
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
let me ask you this... do you currently own any of the following:
-airbag suit
-back/chest protector
-reputable model glove
-Daytona Security Evo boots or similar
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:36 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertim20 View Post
The universal kit is just a damper - the reason theyre bike specific is that some bikes can only be mounted in certain positions, and this can mean the damper requires a longer or shorter stroke.
The universal damper is designed to be flexible in terms of mounting position due to it's stroke length. - e.g a damper made to be mounted '916 style' will cause a problem with the rotation of the bars if you mounted it from the frame to the forks.

Sounds to me like you dont know what a damper actually is... a shock absorber. Stroke length aint got shit to do with anything. By the way... there are rotary and linear type. Linear is really easy to make brackets for. GSXRs still come with linear dampers.

Are they "life saving"? Im going to say no. Do expensive dampers do better than Chinese copied ones? Probably not. Same way a $1400 Arai tests the same as a $400 non design graphic unit. Same shit different prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in