Steering Dampers - Page 3 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: Steering Dampers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Sounds to me like you dont know what a damper actually is... a shock absorber. Stroke length aint got shit to do with anything.
Maybe you haven't mounted many dampers to different bikes?

the stroke length absolutely matters if youre silly enough to try and mount it in the wrong spot. the length of the stroke need to accommodate the rotation of the forks / bars, as well as the distance between the mounting points whether that be on the bars / forks, side fo the frame etc
A damper mounted across the tank, requires a relatively short damper, and wont have adequate stroke to be mounted in a side mount.
See attached photos - photo 1 would not work in the location in photo 2 as it would be too short, and if you DID get it mounted, it would stop the bars from turning properly in one or both directions.

Hence the universal damper, as I mentioned, is designed to accommodate mounting in a variety of locations.

That wouldnt matter for a rotary damper of course, but OP specifically asked about linear Ohlins dampers
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top mount.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	358842   Click image for larger version

Name:	side mount.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	358844  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:47 PM
I eat my R6

Even RC motorcycles have dampers. I got it before I rode a motorcycle. If I didn't have that I might have crashed already. Learned a lot of what not to do such as hold the power all the way on a power wheelie. Once it goes over the crash is catastrophic.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AntDX316; 11-16-2018 at 10:51 PM.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:51 PM
I eat my R6

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:11 AM
tubular radical bodacious

Bike: '14 R6

Quote:
let me ask you this... do you currently own any of the following:
-airbag suit
-back/chest protector
-reputable model glove
-Daytona Security Evo boots or similar
yes

'14 R6 race
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Even RC motorcycles have dampers. I got it before I rode a motorcycle. If I didn't have that I might have crashed already. Learned a lot of what not to do such as hold the power all the way on a power wheelie. Once it goes over the crash is catastrophic.
Ok that didnt take long for you to indict yourself...lol.
All due respect here your reasoning is flawed.
Also its very evident you have not ridden anything insanely fast or capable of pulling the front wheel off the ground over 100mph.

Id wager you ride around with "duck" feet and favor the center of your seat.

What kind of R6 do you ride that makes any appreciable power??
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
yes
1 or all on the list?
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:26 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Ok that didnt take long for you to indict yourself...lol.
All due respect here your reasoning is flawed.
Also its very evident you have not ridden anything insanely fast or capable of pulling the front wheel off the ground over 100mph.

Id wager you ride around with "duck" feet and favor the center of your seat.

What kind of R6 do you ride that makes any appreciable power??
With all due respect, your accusations are offensive. Saying my RC nitro bike understanding makes me look bad and invalidates my high-performance riding skill accomplishments is offensive. I feel as though people like you don't deserve to know certain things even if it ultimately results in them making it into Hell. The only way is if I can pool everything I do into one sequential understanding pattern to cycle would it only be understood. But the amount of work to do that would be so Professional money should be made. Trying to sell ideas and correct theories that are real. Trying to save people from Hell and making $0 with still the high-chance of not being believed. To actually set transfer the reputation and credibility each and every time in a concise and clear manner that someone calls me out especially those who ride and don't even need advice. People read people like you and your advice and it steers them away from listening to people like me and they die or worse. Though some people do believe me but they don't show themselves or stick up for me at times.

Don't miss scale RC built correctly is the same as full-scale. Look at how the US Navy test model ships. They use small scaled ships then make the big thing. I know it seems kind of foolish to compare a smaller model to the real thing when you aren't an engineer at all but if you just try and think like an engineer you would understand they can relate in a way 1:1. I've rode an '18 S1000RR. 88mph in a 25mph during a demo lap. Prob hit 88mph before 1 block was up. If you consider an '18 S1000RR not high-performance enough.. I ride an '05 R6 with lots of mods. It power wheelies extremely hard at times in 1. Doesn't matter if I own no bike. A damper does matter.

Last edited by AntDX316; 11-17-2018 at 07:29 AM.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
... To actually set transfer the reputation and credibility each and every time in a concise and clear manner that someone calls me out especially those who ride and don't even need advice. People read people like you and your advice and it steers them away from listening to people like me and they die or worse. Though some people do believe me but they don't show themselves or stick up for me at times.

Don't miss scale RC built correctly is the same as full-scale. Look at how the US Navy test model ships. They use small scaled ships then make the big thing. I know it seems kind of foolish to compare a smaller model to the real thing when you aren't an engineer at all but if you just try and think like an engineer you would understand they can relate in a way 1:1. I've rode an '18 S1000RR. 88mph in a 25mph during a demo lap. Prob hit 88mph before 1 block was up. If you consider an '18 S1000RR not high-performance enough.. I ride an '05 R6 with lots of mods. It power wheelies extremely hard at times in 1. Doesn't matter if I own no bike. A damper does matter.
you rode a S1000RR to <90mph and thats your sample size?
you built scale models of nitro bikes and thats how you determined a damper is required?

Stop being dramatic about the deaths of riders. Most of the street guys (90%) crash from lack of basic ride skill ability. Over reaction, panic braking, or poor mechanical condition... or a combination of the 3.

Yamaha has way more money and research resources than you could ever dream of...even on an RC scale. Do you think there is a reason the bikes YZFs dont come equipped with dampers from the production line? Like GSXRs and ZXs or CBRs?

My point? Dampers aint going to save shit for a casual street rider. Otherwise there would be GSXRs, ZXs, and CBRs in uncrashed condition.

I guarantee... a rider that claims they "need" a damper(outside of racing)... has not addressed the basic bike setup (spring rate, sag, properly lubed suspension pivots, etc) let alone proper tire pressure.
Straight Success likes this.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
you rode a S1000RR to <90mph and thats your sample size?
you built scale models of nitro bikes and thats how you determined a damper is required?

Stop being dramatic about the deaths of riders. Most of the street guys (90%) crash from lack of basic ride skill ability. Over reaction, panic braking, or poor mechanical condition... or a combination of the 3.

Yamaha has way more money and research resources than you could ever dream of...even on an RC scale. Do you think there is a reason the bikes YZFs dont come equipped with dampers from the production line? Like GSXRs and ZXs or CBRs?

My point? Dampers aint going to save shit for a casual street rider. Otherwise there would be GSXRs, ZXs, and CBRs in uncrashed condition.

I guarantee... a rider that claims they "need" a damper(outside of racing)... has not addressed the basic bike setup (spring rate, sag, properly lubed suspension pivots, etc) let alone proper tire pressure.
Why do you have to talk shit about RC scale? Why don't you question why you are upset? Perhaps you are being "used" so people could ride with vulnerabilities that open themselves up to crashing and being on the ground bankrupting their families etc. Every way to make us ride and come home like nothing happened is what to do. In a way I criminally speed All the time but I do it wisely.

I did 88mph in a 25mph with less than 1 block of room to work with while in parade staggered column side by side formation. Looking back I wouldn't have done it but my confidence, focus, and feel were through the roof plus it was my only time w/ the bike so I wanted to explore the power a bit. We went on the highway later. Did 123mph on the highway w/ it but it sucked because it was limited to 9k RPM due to break-in limit. Did a 6th gear pull in 40mph and it still felt slow unlike what everyone else was saying. I had enough space to pull prob 150mph if the limiter was removed lol. Not like 150mph is fast. I do it on the R6 w/ the same spacing. Prob would have hit 170mph but idk. It felt like a toy bike. Like a big power wheels toy. I thought because it was a demo but they said it's the same as the showroom floor model. My R6 feels so much better as it's raw and skinnier but obviously the braking and some of the acceleration are no where near in comparison. Close enough though acceleration wise but braking.. the '18 S1000RR was on another level, prob 3x which is why I had confidence to go fast.

Last edited by AntDX316; 11-17-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:18 AM

again... your greeness is apparent. Yes the S1000RR is a nice bike.
Id bet you think the ABS, traction control, and launch control are worth something in regards to safety.
Outside of traction control... the other 2 require real skill and balls. No abs pump can compare.
Anyway... my 12yr old gsxr will accelerate away from an S1000RR like its parked. Like zero to 168 mph in 1320'. Thats a hand actuated clutch and foot shifted.
Comes across the scales at 460lbs wet. Makes nearly 3x the torque of an R6 at 1/2 the rpms...lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in