Steering Dampers - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Steering Dampers

I have a few questions about steering dampers. I'm really interested in getting one for my bike. I don't do track, and try not to speed too excessively, but I like the assurance and the idea of having one just in case.

How exactly would I mount a linear damper to the front of my bike? From what I've seen, most linear dampers mount to the top of the triple tree, similar to how a radial damper mounts. I've seen a few bikes (like the '14 GSXR 600) where the damper is mounted to what seems like the front of the forks. Not sure exactly where or what it mounts too, but that'd be preferred. I don't now, but if down the road I want to run a ram mount on my bike, I feel like having the damper up top will restrict where and if I can put a ram mount.

Taking from a specific brand, there is an Ohlins universal damper that is a lot cheaper than the one from my bike. The universal costs ~$400 while the one for my bike is $600. I ride a 2015 R6, so would the universal fit? What exactly am I looking for in a universal damper? There is always a size in mm when buying universal and I don't even know what that refers to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:57 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6
Re: Steering Dampers

Personally, I think you're wasting your money. Your first paragraph is the reason why. Improving your riding skills and body position is your steering damper for the street. Spend that money where it's needed, like a suspension tune, quality gear etc...

But just offering my opinion.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:24 AM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

Watch this video from suspension guru Dave Moss. Notice the one thing he does NOT mention to solve tank slapper issues......steering dampers

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:08 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

I dont know but maybe learning the ride?
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2008 yamaha R6

unless you're really riding aggressively and at high speeds, you don't need to go all out on a stabilizer. I have the ohlins damper (600$) which i absolutely love, however i do think its a little overkill for the kind of riding i do. they make Chinese ones which pretty much do the same thing at almost a third of the price of top end stabilizers. the stabilizer is a nice sense of security for me, knowing that if me and my buddy's decide to haul ass real quick, that my chances of surviving a tank slapper... are alot higher then if i didn't have one. it's also nice to have on the highway as it makes the vibration alot less on my wrists and lessens the head shake (being nit picky here). if you run a damper however, you probably wont be able to use the Ram mount for your phone or whatever. also, i dont recommend the rotary style dampers, i know some people that have had them and tell me that they have had to rebuild them due to leaking oil. me personally, id much rather have stable steering over being able to have a phone holder.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

I think for the steering damper to be of real use you have to be getting the front off the ground, if slightly, and/or have made geometry adjustments that make the bike less stable. I'd start with great tires (e.g. Q3+) and/or getting your sag set properly and/or respringing if necessary if you're looking to ride fast.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:13 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Just a personal observation, running over the same wrinkled roads, hadn't experienced headshake until getting a fresh set of tires. I suspect that the profile of the tire can have a large impact on how prone to headshake the bike is. Last experience prior to that was on a newer set of tires.

I'm not into wheelies and stunting and don't find a steering damper even remotely necessary. It is a very rare occurrence and as long as you're paying attention to the road in front of you, you can generally avoid even the rare occurrences. The three times in over 35k that I recall, was on a slight curve under light to moderate acceleration over a larger bumps. I just kind of relaxed and didn't fight it too much and it's over just as quick as it began. So I learned and avoid hitting bumps (and now road wrinkles) at the same angle and speeds...
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2016 Yamaha R6
Garage

I purchase one for every bike i own. It's good to have when you need it.

2016 Yamaha R6 = Motodynamic fender eliminator with smoked integrated taillight and smoked flush mount turn signals - Woodcraft frame sliders and swingarm spool sliders - Light smoked ZeroGravity SR windscreen - RSC Hyperpro steering damper - BKmoto projector headlights - Pazzo Racing shorty levers - LeoVince Factory S carbon full system exhaust - Dynojet Power Commander V - Driven block off plates - Driven Racing 15/46 (-1 +1) sprockets w/ RK 520 MAX-X series chain, LighTech chain adjusters - TechSpec tank grips - more to come
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:22 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers28 View Post
Personally, I think you're wasting your money. Your first paragraph is the reason why. Improving your riding skills and body position is your steering damper for the street. Spend that money where it's needed, like a suspension tune, quality gear etc...

But just offering my opinion.
lol, I had wobbles when I was new. Probably saved me but now I hardly get wobbles. When you bounce off 1st into 2nd after your skill has went up you can go into an instant wobble in 2. When you change lanes hard over some white paint it can wobble.

Bike came with a Scotts damper on my '05 R6. Had no idea what it does. Came with a PC3 and other things. The price was low so I bought it. Took a month or so to get the title from him but got it at the end. Redlining in 3 easy is cool. I said I would never go triple digits on any motorcycle but the faster you go the more steady it feels. I used to hardcore research about counter-steering and stressing hard before I rode on the streets w/ it. In MSF I was cheating I think.

Last edited by AntDX316; 11-14-2018 at 01:24 AM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 AM
tubular radical bodacious

Bike: '14 R6

Tank slappers happen on the street or track, to fast and slow riders, for a big variety of reasons.

OP: the universal damper might be just for the damper unit itself, not including the correct mounting hardware. The mounting brackets can cost the extra $200. You're better off buying direct from a trusted dealer (RidersDiscount, STG, Revzilla, etc), and buying a complete kit to match your bike so that you'll have everything you need. Please don't buy knock off crap on ebay.

You'll likely never even know when your damper has done it's job

'14 R6 race
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in