Suspension questions for a 1st gen r6 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8Ball

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Suspension questions for a 1st gen r6

Looking for some suggestions/guidance. I recently purchased a clapped out 02 r6. it is my first dedicated trackbike. I have all the mechanicals and brakes corrected. The suspension needs work. This area of a bike is my achilles heel. I have never had a suspension setup before. My questions are aside from correct springs for my weight and maintenance (bushings, seals, oil etc.) what else should i have done while in there. Would I really benefit from gold valving or should i just do the spring? I need the rear done as well, but am not purchasing a new penske rear. I may pick one up if i can find one used. This is a budget, purpose built bike. I am not looking to get on podiums here, I just want a good tracking suspension to go have some laps with friends and not be as upset when it goes down as being on my 1290 superduke.

Hopefully some of you can give some insight as to what I should do. I have owned sportbikes in the past. This is my first Yami

I am a novice trackday rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:16 PM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550
Re: Suspension questions for a 1st gen r6

It may be a bit difficult to find components for your bike, but taking your forks and shock to a good suspension guy to have them rebuilt and breathed on to time them to your needs will be worlds better for your track day experience.

You didn’t mention where you are located.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 04:27 PM
nova r6

Bike: 05 r6 Camo/Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
It may be a bit difficult to find components for your bike, but taking your forks and shock to a good suspension guy to have them rebuilt and breathed on to time them to your needs will be worlds better for your track day experience.

You didnít mention where you are located.
Agreed, I believe that shock even though its oem is still rebuild-able. I had race tech do my 05 shock and gold valves in my forks and they worked like a champ until i found a crazy deal on a penske triple and racetechs 25mm kit for the forks. Gold valves or emulators (whichever they use on the 1st gens) will be just fine for novice to intermediate group

March 2014 Bike of the month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And yes that is all duct tape LOL

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

I am from eastern Ohio. I live about 40 minutes from a racetech shop. I bet the cartridges and penske work great, but I only plan on running this bike a couple seasons and keeping it as a backup in the future. I see that racetech offers gold valves. I need to call the shop to determine if the forks require compression only or gold rebound valving as well. As confident as I am in disassembling and rebuilding, the tuning aspect is out of my wheelhouse.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 04:23 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Loy View Post
I am from eastern Ohio. I live about 40 minutes from a racetech shop. I bet the cartridges and penske work great, but I only plan on running this bike a couple seasons and keeping it as a backup in the future. I see that racetech offers gold valves. I need to call the shop to determine if the forks require compression only or gold rebound valving as well. As confident as I am in disassembling and rebuilding, the tuning aspect is out of my wheelhouse.
pretty sure your model is a damping rod fork. Fairly simple to rebuild/revalve/respring/set up.

The gold valve thing... meh. If you were riding the bike where you were using the full amount of travel on the forks... then the gold valves would work better than the stock shim stack/orifices. They have their places in "Superstock" rule classes where you are obligated to run stock forks. See SV650 racers that run fast times with stock 43mm forks vs inverted GSXR type forks.

Also suspension tuning is not a "Set & forget" process.
If you ride the same track/course... then you wont be doing much adjusting. By the same token... spinning the adjuster(s) all the way in or out can tell you alot as well. A soft sprung bike is not necessarily a bad thing. Ideally you should keep a notebook of your settings and relevant data.
Tire pressure is going to be the largest target. Suspension the 2nd.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 05:52 AM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

No. It’s a cartridge type fork.
TurboBlew likes this.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:01 AM
I eat my R6

Quote:

You didnít mention where you are located.
+1 for a suspension shop. I found a local guy who handled my '02 Bandit forks and overhauled a gixxer rear I bought off ebay- the latter included nitrogen refresh and respringing- it made a big difference in ride quality. One of his specialties is upgrading weird shocks for older bikes so mine presented no difficulty.

My R6's prev owner had a shop put gold valves in the front and a Penske on the rear- going to have the suspension guy overhaul them all in a couple months. The prev owner didn't do much maintenance but at least he kept the bike in a garage.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:26 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
No. Itís a cartridge type fork.
Even easier!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 bolts, remove old, drop in new cartridge, add oil, pump, reassemble!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in