Hello, what does it take to turn more w/ less lean angle at high-speeds? - Page 2 - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:22 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage
Re: Hello, what does it take to turn more w/ less lean angle at high-speeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
If the wheel goes in the air and you turn it, it will still continue to lean the bike or not? One day if I ever get on track w/ a very powerful bike it shouldn't be my last lol.

Just think about it, you lean hard into a corner accelerating hard going to track out then ready to stand the bike up but then the front wheel raises and you end up not turning, you go wide and crash hard. Is it like this if you don't weight the bike properly? The R6 doesn't rise like this in 2nd gear or higher. I've high-sided in 1 so I don't really rise the bike while in any turn. Just as R3 riders don't know what it's like to high-side ever as their bike isn't powerful enough to do so.

I think the people who get to this "level" developed the experience to weight naturally. For novices who go straight from say beginning to Pro power this can lead to harmful consequences if not understood and done properly. Also other issues like high-siding under braking but I'm sure I would know how this would feel like to not be too much of an issue.
honestly you can literally just sit upright on a bike with all of your weight on the seat and ride it really fast. way faster than you can imagine. all this weighting pegs stuff if when you are at a pro level of riding.

i'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence. if you are accelerating the the front wheel lifts while leaned over you will not crash. the front wheel is what turns the bike. the rear wheel holds it on the line and holds the bike upright due to gyroscopic effects. because of this is why it doesn't fall over doing a wheelie while leaned over. you have to be past the apex to start accelerating to do this. you have to gently roll on the throttle more and more as you are exiting the corner and the lean angle becomes less. don't even try to hammer it open while it's leaned over far on street tires. also, you can't literally turn into a corner while accelerating. you have to be off the throttle 100% or you will cause the front wheel to be overloaded and slide out.
you need to worry more about spinning the rear wheel exiting the corner instead of a wheelie. a wheelie doesn't so shit but slow you down. you spin the rear wheel you'll be on your ass doing cartwheels or sliding.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

how you do this right is with your right hand. it's called throttle control. no one can teach this to you. you have to learn how to feel what the bike is doing. if you don't want to crash then take it easy. if you want to experiment with traction limits on the track is the place to do it. l

Last edited by yamahacrazy; 01-07-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahacrazy View Post
honestly you can literally just sit upright on a bike with all of your weight on the seat and ride it really fast. way faster than you can imagine. all this weighting pegs stuff if when you are at a pro level of riding.

i'm not sure what you mean by the first sentence. if you are accelerating the the front wheel lifts while leaned over you will not crash. the front wheel is what turns the bike. the rear wheel holds it on the line and holds the bike upright due to gyroscopic effects. because of this is why it doesn't fall over doing a wheelie while leaned over. you have to be past the apex to start accelerating to do this. you have to gently roll on the throttle more and more as you are exiting the corner and the lean angle becomes less. don't even try to hammer it open while it's leaned over far on street tires. also, you can't literally turn into a corner while accelerating. you have to be off the throttle 100% or you will cause the front wheel to be overloaded and slide out.
you need to worry more about spinning the rear wheel exiting the corner instead of a wheelie. a wheelie doesn't so shit but slow you down. you spin the rear wheel you'll be on your ass doing cartwheels or sliding.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

how you do this right is with your right hand. it's called throttle control. no one can teach this to you. you have to learn how to feel what the bike is doing. if you don't want to crash then take it easy. if you want to experiment with traction limits on the track is the place to do it. l
No, you know how you steer w/ the front tire? But if you are like leaned over at full power in like 2 gear or higher and the wheel comes up where you have to turn on a good sweeper, you can't turn because the front wheel is in the air. If you weight the wrong side you cannot lean over. I assume if you weight the tank properly this should be No issue but if you just weight the outside peg and nothing else you are not going to turn. Now, if you are doing this at the Limits you may run out of room. Pro level or not, if it's not done right it's rolling on the ground like you got into a fist fight until you come to a stop.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Seems like this answers everything.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 06:29 AM
Hey...watch this

Bike: FZ1; R6; GL1800; SV650

Quote:
The idea is to know what would happen Before hitting the track. My current biggest fear is, if I get on a Superbike and the front lifts in a turn, will the bike continuing turning or go wide and I crash? This is where I'm not sure where my body weight should actually be. If you get it wrong, you crash or die. I weight the outside peg but I really think it's all about the weight on the tank but I'm not entirely sure. I'm not entirely sure if the weight should be on the inner peg but I think this is corner specific. If you do the wrong thing once, you are done. Some people don't ride fast enough for it to matter and those that do who aren't that good crash to sometimes never ride again.
Ant, you can't learn to ride a motorcycle by reading about it. Why would you be on a superbike, lifting the front wheel out of a turn, when you don't know anything about body position? Wouldn't it make more sense to go to a track day, work with the coaches that are too happy to help you, get on a smaller bike, and learn how all of this works?

There is so much bad information in this thread. Yes, you can turn the bike with the front (or rear) wheel in the air. I have tons of pictures of me doing it, most times I didn't even know it until I saw the pictures. I am not a stunt rider or racer, just am intermediate track day guy with a lot of experience. I rode for 40 years before I hit the track, and I learned more in that one weekend than in the previous 40 years. And I still learn something about either me or my bike every track day. Sometimes I crash. It happens. Learn from it.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1guy View Post
Ant, you can't learn to ride a motorcycle by reading about it. Why would you be on a superbike, lifting the front wheel out of a turn, when you don't know anything about body position? Wouldn't it make more sense to go to a track day, work with the coaches that are too happy to help you, get on a smaller bike, and learn how all of this works?

There is so much bad information in this thread. Yes, you can turn the bike with the front (or rear) wheel in the air. I have tons of pictures of me doing it, most times I didn't even know it until I saw the pictures. I am not a stunt rider or racer, just am intermediate track day guy with a lot of experience. I rode for 40 years before I hit the track, and I learned more in that one weekend than in the previous 40 years. And I still learn something about either me or my bike every track day. Sometimes I crash. It happens. Learn from it.
Yo, I'm the type that will flat out Any bike after I get confident enough.

Think about it, you are entering a sweeper on a powerful bike this time. You hit it the first time and power out the **** out of the exit. Your front wheel lifts. Do you lose the steering radius as the angle gets bigger or it stays the same?

Look. Notice how the bike still turns when the wheel is in the air but in Ride 3 this always happens. It's not really a good way to replicate real-life. If you don't weight the right areas can you still turn?

If you do not not weight the inner peg there is no way you will turn when the front wheel is in the air?

Last edited by AntDX316; 01-08-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:53 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
The idea is to know what would happen Before hitting the track. My current biggest fear is, if I get on a Superbike and the front lifts in a turn, will the bike continuing turning or go wide and I crash? This is where I'm not sure where my body weight should actually be. If you get it wrong, you crash or die. I weight the outside peg but I really think it's all about the weight on the tank but I'm not entirely sure. I'm not entirely sure if the weight should be on the inner peg but I think this is corner specific. If you do the wrong thing once, you are done. Some people don't ride fast enough for it to matter and those that do who aren't that good crash to sometimes never ride again.

You should just sell your motorcycle and move on to a hobby like Drone Flying or something less dangerous.
2 things are clear to me with your post... first your mind is not open to learning new things. Second you are focusing on inanne bullshit that has shit all to do with a green rider. Put the ego in the corner and check your bullshit at hot pit. 1 or 2 or 15 corners into the day you'll either be dead or having fun. As a newb... unless youre riding with ACE... most orgs will have a "lead follow" protocol. Sure you can lie your ass off and say you ride at an "expert level"... 2 or 3 laps of you missing apexes and parking it will tell them all they need to know so you'll be bumped into the proper group.

FZ1guy, Flyers28 and R6trackrider like this.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

Quote:
Yo, I'm the type that will flat out Any bike after I get confident enough.

I got $10,000 in cash to wager and a couple of mini bikes you wont be able to demonstrate your "flat out" skills within 10 laps or better yet... you wont be able to do a single lap under 45 seconds given the whole day to practice.
Pick a weekend date... and show up at this address.(with your $10,000)
453 Hillbridge Road, Dublin, GA

Probably best to PM me. If youre serious
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:32 PM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

I'm 500 times better than all of you put together... especially that TurboBlew guy.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
You should just sell your motorcycle and move on to a hobby like Drone Flying or something less dangerous.
2 things are clear to me with your post... first your mind is not open to learning new things. Second you are focusing on inanne bullshit that has shit all to do with a green rider. Put the ego in the corner and check your bullshit at hot pit. 1 or 2 or 15 corners into the day you'll either be dead or having fun. As a newb... unless youre riding with ACE... most orgs will have a "lead follow" protocol. Sure you can lie your ass off and say you ride at an "expert level"... 2 or 3 laps of you missing apexes and parking it will tell them all they need to know so you'll be bumped into the proper group.

I've done that stuff in 2013.. when they were called quadcopters. Had to make our own. Also I got into Motorbiking because I have an RC Nitrobike I got years ago and learned how riding should look like and to unthrottle a wheelie or else it causes massive damage when it loops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in