• 2 Post By yamahacrazy
  • 1 Post By 8Ball

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
No i cant wheelie officer

Bike: 07 r6r
Garage
Cheap Steering dampener that’s won’t kill me

So I’ve come to the conclusion after a tank slapper that maybe a steering dampener is right for me. Problem is I don’t want to risk my life with a 70$ Chinese dampener but I don’t have enough dough for a $500 Scott’s( and probably won’t for a long time) is there any good brand that makes one in the 150-250 price range that is actually worth a crap?

“Officer i swear to you this bike cant go over 100mph”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:17 PM
I eat my R6

Garage
Honestly man i had a scare too and luckily i found a GPR stabilizer on revzilla. They have a nice feature on their website that allows you to use a company called affirm to make the purchase.

Basically affirm lends the money in full to revzilla as long as you are approved for the amount of the purchase and then you would make monthly payments based on whether you choose to pay it off in 3 months, 6 months, or a year.

This really helped me out in getting the one i wanted without worrying about it being faulty when i recieved it, requiring a bunch of modification for it to fit, or it failing while i ride. GPR is one of the best ones out there and i highly recommend it.

Check it out if you want.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:49 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Re: Cheap Steering dampener that’s won’t kill me

Id suggest keeping an eye on the forums for sale threads - good quality ones come up second hand regularly - thats probably your best bet

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:16 AM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven

well first off its DAMPER...dammit!

Second... why are you looking to add one if you havent adjusted & set your suspension up for yourself... which includes setting sag, compression, rebound, and spring rate(s). Have you lubed all your suspension points?

Third... have you checked your tire pressure(s) ????

Fourth...what kind of gear do you ride in? Full leathers? Airbag leather suit? Race guantlet? Back protector? Armor shorts? Race boots??

No damper is going to save you from poor riding skill or poor bike maintenance.

The above 4 things are what I would be looking at before dropping any loot on a DAMPER!!
Flyers28 likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:11 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2015 R1
Garage

I rode an 03 for 13 years and 54k miles without a damper. never had any issues.
TurboBlew and Flyers28 like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6s Stock

Suspension and tire pressure (tires are an important part of the suspension) I suspect play a large part in this "phenomenon". Throttle control is a major contributor as well. It seems to only happen when hitting a large enough bump while leaned approximately 60~30°. Car or bike, I'm only more aggressive on roads I know really well. So needless to say I don't repeat the exact circumstances that led to the event. I do however try to test and learn... and increasing my tire pressure from high 30s to 42 (on the VIN label) seems to reduce the susceptibility. Not sure where I got the previous pressures but suspect I was running pressures that were based around tire sidewall, rather than VIN tag. The manufacturer sets the suspension, and therefore their recommendations should be taken into higher consideration, versus what's on the tire sidewall. When I'm sure that my skill level is consistent and plateaued, I'll get around to some educated-fiddling with the suspension settings.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1 sorry I can’t spell
2 no I haven’t set the suspension up but I had the shop lube everything the last time it was in.
3 They’re good right now for sure but I also have changed the tires since then.
4 I usually have on a full face helmet, leather jacket, or my mesh jacket, Kevlar pants, boots, and gloves( I plan on getting a full suit later this summer)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 AM
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, 79 GS550

Dave Moss (suspension guru extraordinaire) explains head shake/ tank slappers, and what to do about them. Curiously, the one thing he DOESN'T mention........ hmmmm.

Fix the cause. Don't band-aid the symptoms.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TurboBlew likes this.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
Dave Moss (suspension guru extraordinaire) explains head shake/ tank slappers, and what to do about them. Curiously, the one thing he DOESN'T mention........ hmmmm.

Fix the cause. Don't band-aid the symptoms.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Thanks
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in