Rear Wheel Alignment - Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
My R6 eats me.

Rear Wheel Alignment

Hey guys new to the R6 life... i noticed my chain adjusters are not symmetric(according to lines on adjusterblock)

Its off by one line... and i can kinda see a slight angle in the wheel... I'm not sure if this is normal to get the rear sprocket lined up with the front sprocket(chain looks straight maybe a slight snaking) or the previous owner(sad face i hate previous owners) only adjusted one side to make the chain tighter but not aligned
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... some experience would be helpful! looking to swap out the 525 oring style chain on the bike with a 525 xring new change this weekend probably will be adjusting everything accordingly and i saw some posts regarding the alignment ill probably just measure with calipers but ugh hope the frame isnt bent
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
always the risk we take buying used... love the forum and the community so far R6 seems like one the best 600s that arent crazy expensive. let me know down below!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 2007 In Heaven
Re: Rear Wheel Alignment

never use a "cast" part to determine alignment.
You can make an alignment tool with some steel rods.
Or you can purchase one.

basically you slide the rods through each axle (swingarm & rear) so at least 6" sticks out on all sides. Fasten together with rubber bands. Get out your tape measure... then start making adjustments on the adjusters til they are within 1/16" of an inch.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I like the 2 string method, needs some practice to make it not tedious but it works well & all you need is 12' or so of string and a couple bricks or other suitable objects- even a couple full quart bottles of oil would work. lol, haven't needed to do the rear on my R6 yet but the alignment marks on my Bandits chain adjusters where hysterically off- not a chance of alignment if using them

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:29 AM
I eat my R6

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

More power to you if you like that method, haha. That method drove me insane, then I was left doubting the accuracy of my work because I was never quite sure if the strings were right. Just didn't have the patience to make it work. Pulled out the tape measure and settled for the "yep good enough" method. My adjuster blocks are pretty accurate though.

I was going to make a fancy alignment tool but I get so lazy sometimes (ok probably all the time).
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Touchdown!

Bike: 2012 R6
Send a message via Skype™ to Straight Success

Use a vernier caliper. That's what I do. Place one on the end of the adjusting block, and the other end on the swing arm. Perfect measurements every time.

Chillin'... while the Lord watches over me!

I love my R6, but...there's no buts...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
Use a vernier caliper. That's what I do. Place one on the end of the adjusting block, and the other end on the swing arm. Perfect measurements every time.
but how do you know the swingarm is straight?? The swingarm & rear axle are holllow and parallel. Alot easier to measure
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
but how do you know the swingarm is straight?? The swingarm & rear axle are holllow and parallel. Alot easier to measure

There is a fallacy in your statement. I'll let you go back an analyze it.

...and to answer your question...

Because Yamaha has a tolerance when manufacturing. Unless the bike has been severely crashed before, it should be within spec. QC verifies this after production.

If one is unsure, he/she could also use a meter or gauge (using precision measuring tools) to check, but on a production bike that hasn't been wrecked... no need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Straight Success; 06-06-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Straight Success likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
There is a fallacy in your statement. I'll let you go back an analyze it.

...and to answer your question...

Because Yamaha has a tolerance when manufacturing. Unless the bike has been severely crashed before, it should be within spec. QC verifies this after production...
Oh really?? Please tell us about Yamahas QC program that guarantees wheel alignment will be 100% perfect from the assembly line to the end user. Would love the details on this.

Lets wager... I use my alignment tool on your never crashed bike... I guarantee your rear axle is not perfectly aligned with the swingarm axle. Does your rear wheel spin 3+ complete revolutions when on a rear stand?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Touchdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlew View Post
Oh really?? Please tell us about Yamahas QC program that guarantees wheel alignment will be 100% perfect from the assembly line to the end user. Would love the details on this.

Lets wager... I use my alignment tool on your never crashed bike... I guarantee your rear axle is not perfectly aligned with the swingarm axle. Does your rear wheel spin 3+ complete revolutions when on a rear stand?
You assumed I was referring to a wheel alignment. You see! I was talking about manufactured parts. You always want to go back and forth.

Learn to listen sometimes. You may actually learn something new. Yeah, you have some experience, but there are a few things you lack. Take it from a design mechanical engineer with a serious proven track record.

...and my bike is on point as it should be (minus a new air filter that's going in next week).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in