Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Did My Front Ride Sag For My R6 08 Y'day

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rsexxyy 
#1 ·
I'm about 160lbs without gear..recently I had my front ride sag set according to Race Tech's method. It takes into account stiction on the forks.
L1 = Unladen front fork
L2 = Rider+Bike with fork pushed down and released slowly
L3 = Rider+Bike with fork pushed up and released slowly

Ride Sag = L1-[(L2+L3)/2]

Recommended front fork ride sag :
Street = 30 - 35mm
Track = 25 - 30mm

Recommended rear shock ride sag :
Street = 30 - 35mm
Track = 25 - 30mm

At full soft(preload) my front ride sag = 42mm
At full stiff(preload) my front ride sag = 27mm

I go for 30mm cause my R6 08 is a daily driver as well as a track bike..

Final preload setting : 4 rings (3 turns from full stiff) = 30mm ride sag

Note* Wise ones out there, is there any chance I did it wrongly?? Or I should try any other ride sag numbers?
Should I go for 30mm ride sag for the rear too? Please advise... :YEA

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been waiting on a buddy to come over and help me get my sag setup, but I was looking at going 31-32, but I use my bike mostly on the street, and maybe a couple track days here and there. I would say that you also want to set your rear sag since stock it is proabably a good bit off.

#4 ·
Yeah..I had my rear set to 30mm last night..3 buddies came over my place and we sort it out.
Went to track practice this morning..took me about 6 laps to get a grip on the new steering characteristics..I had my rebound set to my weight too..

It sounds like you've got it handled. I've never been worried about stiction when setting the sag, but hey if you want to take the time why not.

Set your rear at 30mm and you're good to go.
Done that..rear sag at 30mm. I'm lucky cos I got buddies willing to spend time helping me sort the suspension out..

#3 ·
It sounds like you've got it handled. I've never been worried about stiction when setting the sag, but hey if you want to take the time why not.

Set your rear at 30mm and you're good to go.

#5 ·
Some words of caution to fellow riders who intend on getting your suspension set after riding for some time on the stock settings.. :secret

It took me 1hr or so to get used to the new steering characteristics on the race track..

I even crashed on the gravel trap during my 1st lap on the 2nd hour...

But after that wake up call..I clocked my fastest ever timing on that track, improving by about 3 secs from my previous week practice session.. :toocool:

And consistently lap the same time..plus minus 1 sec thereafter..

It goes to show..meddling with your suspension is a double edge weapon..if you can handle it right, it'll work wonders for you!!

This is the 1st time I meddled with my suspension set up after 4 years of riding CBR1000RR and 6 mths on the R6..I'm glad I did..

Looking to further improve the set up..in the next track practice.. :YEA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.